Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Important Is The Perfect Grip?

I'd look at a Kahr or a Sig P320 with the small grip frame. My wife has very small hands and has a proven track record with her 1911 (thin grips, short trigger) and Kahr. The small P320 seemed very doable for her when handling it in the store (no live fire to verify).
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Please name the make and models.
    The Ruger SR1911
    The Springfield PB9108 (which I have shot but do not own) is similarly under $650
    The Remington R1 is under $650

I purchased a new Springfield RO for under $650. Timing in that instance, was everything.

If you (speaking broadly) say those guns are unreliable, show me a gun under $650 that is, and with time I may be able to find issues with those guns (4th gen Glock had massive teething issues, for example).

I second the opinion that if her hands really are that small a Glock 42 will fit her hand, recoil is less pronounced compared to the G19. The downside is the perceived ineffectiveness of the .380 round. Many pistol rounds do not have the stopping capability of rifle rounds.
    Last edited by P210-6; 11-17-2014 at 12:55 PM.

McCoy,

You didn't say whether she is shooting well, and improving with the G19. Many newer shooters get focused on things like how the gun feels in the hand, but what really matters is whether she shoots it well and can manipulate it well under stress--or whether she can do better with a different gun. Timed and scored drills will establish this. In my experience, few people perform better with a Shield than with a G19.

I do not grip my Glocks with the sides of the grip aligned with my arm bones because that unbalances my two-handed grip. As well, my trigger press is more neutral with the gun rotated slightly clockwise in my right hand. Surf has an outstanding video and description of how to figure out what works best for you.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    McCoy,

You didn't say whether she is shooting well, and improving with the G19. Many newer shooters get focused on things like how the gun feels in the hand, but what really matters is whether she shoots it well and can manipulate it well under stress--or whether she can do better with a different gun. Timed and scored drills will establish this. In my experience, few people perform better with a Shield than with a G19.

I do not grip my Glocks with the sides of the grip aligned with my arm bones because that unbalances my two-handed grip. As well, my trigger press is more neutral with the gun rotated slightly clockwise in my right hand. Surf has an outstanding video and description of how to figure out what works best for you.
    She's definitely shooting well, a hell of a lot better than I was less than a year into starting to shoot. Of course, I also didn't wise up and start taking actual, professionally-instructed classes until much later.

The issue, as I've witnessed it, isn't so much the shooting, although she does tend to be hitting left with the Glock. It's more with the draw. She goes down, gets a good grip, draws...and then has to readjust her grip before shooting to get her finger on the trigger. It ain't much, but it's enough of a bobble that it's noticeable.

Also, Surf's video is showing up as unavailable.

Try this:
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I'm with Chuck on this. Any handgun that forces you to mess with grip adjustments to get to the trigger properly, or to get the sights aligned as you index to target, is a handgun that needs to go away.

Sorry but the video's no longer exist publicly online anymore.

As far as grip goes, yes it is very important. Trigger finger placement and being able to properly manipulate the trigger is more important. Getting a quality weapon that properly fits the hand especially in regards to "trigger reach" is a big deal. Having said that the old concept of muzzle and forearm bone alignment made more sense in regards to a Weaver or more so a Chapman stance, but with a modern type of isosceles stance, bone alignment is not your friend. Aligning the weapon to the dominant eye more center line of the body is important.

My mother and wife both own 9mm Glock Gen 4's as their own preference and they both have small hands. It is about getting the shooter into a correct grip and stance. Now if the pistol still absolutely does not fit the hand, keep looking.

Here is a link to a post in the resource area. I also suggest reading the entire thread that post originated from. Good information.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ts-on-the-grip

I stand corrected, I guess there is still a video that remains out there.

Quote Originally Posted by P210-6 View Post
    The Ruger SR1911
    The Springfield PB9108 (which I have shot but do not own) is similarly under $650
    The Remington R1 is under $650

I purchased a new Springfield RO for under $650. Timing in that instance, was everything.

If you (speaking broadly) say those guns are unreliable, show me a gun under $650 that is, and with time I may be able to find issues with those guns (4th gen Glock had massive teething issues, for example).

I second the opinion that if her hands really are that small a Glock 42 will fit her hand, recoil is less pronounced compared to the G19. The downside is the perceived ineffectiveness of the .380 round. Many pistol rounds do not have the stopping capability of rifle rounds.
    I imagine the reason you were asked was due to it being uncommon for Glocks and such to crap the bed, while it is very common for lower priced 1911s to do so.

What long term or wide ranging info do you have that any of the 1911s you listed work?

Quote Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
    So what's the verdict? Is proper gun-wrist-forearm alignment absolutely necessary, or should I keep banging the drum on sticking with the less-than-perfect grip on the Glock? She'll do what she'll do anyway, but I'd like to talk her out of throwing a kilobuck at a Colt Railgun or whatever if I can.
    Have you looked into having a grip reduction done by ROBAR or one of the other reputable outfits. I've only heard secondhand but that has seemed to fix the problem for some small handed folks. A few hundred to make the Glock she likes fit perfectly would be money well spent.

User Tag List