Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: German Foreign Minister Announces Military Rearmament

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Germany is re-arming, Japan and China are all sabre-rattly with each other, the US is kind of isolationist, Great Britain's military is a shadow of its former self...is it starting to feel a little 1930ish to anyone else or is that just me?
    Kind of isolationist? We have troops in over 150 countries, according to Wikipedia. Most of those are peace time troops, but we do have combat personnel in a few countries, even if they are only "advisors."

Quote Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
    Kind of isolationist? We have troops in over 150 countries, according to Wikipedia. Most of those are peace time troops, but we do have combat personnel in a few countries, even if they are only "advisors."
    It's the most isolationist we've been in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    This time Israel has nuclear weapons.

Hopefully, they will not have to use them... However; it does change the genocide equation...
    I think Israel's most dire threats come from it's Arab neighbors and the Persians.

I have no problems with a powerful Germany, provided that it maintains it's commitment to human rights, democratic government and strong ties with the United States and Israel.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    I think Israel's most dire threats come from it's Arab neighbors and the Persians.

I have no problems with a powerful Germany, provided that it maintains it's commitment to human rights, democratic government and strong ties with the United States and Israel.
    Yeah, I can't picture Angela Merkel giving rousing nationalist speeches.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    It's the most isolationist we've been in my lifetime.
    Care to support this...? I mean, I don't mean to come off as combative, but unless you were born in 1875 I am having a hard time imagining what you're referring to...

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Care to support this...? I mean, I don't mean to come off as combative, but unless you were born in 1875 I am having a hard time imagining what you're referring to...
    So you're saying that we're even more involved on the international scale under this administration than we were under Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, and Bush II?

Site Supporter
    So you're saying that we're even more involved on the international scale under this administration than we were under Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, and Bush II?
    I think the term you're looking for is non-interventionist.
    "Isolationism" would include trade, travel, etc.

Semantics... sorry.

Carter, maybe... He wasn't around long enough and had world events thrust upon him. Hard to argue though, since he was rather prominent in the Egypt/Israel accords.

Ford, Nixon, Johnson, Kennedy, Ike, Truman... Not
    Don't really know much about Hoover, but, certainly not "isolationist". He was Sec. Commerce before Pres. (And a Keynesian before Keynes.)

Coolidge... perhaps.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I think the term you're looking for is non-interventionist.
    Yes.

Eisen und blut!
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

We are still involved in a large number of countries. Most of it is small and involves advising and training, but considering that those missions are nested within national policy objectives I would say we are still pretty involved. The number of general purpose forces deployed is shrinking but life is changing, not slowing down in the SOF world.

User Tag List