Page 15 of 145 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Active Shooter Uvalde TX Elementary School

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The suspect in this case didn’t park and waltz in. He crashed in a drainage ditch and had to shoot his way through an SRO to get in.

Attachment 89363
    Simple things are not going to affect a determined person he’ll bent in evil.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The suspect in this case didn’t park and waltz in. He crashed in a drainage ditch and had to shoot his way through an SRO to get in.

Attachment 89363
    Understood, yes, in this case the evil homicidal maniac crashed his grandmother's pick up near the school. He could have walked onto the campus just like so many other schools. I also understand an SRO engaged him on campus. Let's apply some left of boom strategy. No access to campus equals no access to children to murder. Nobody, good guys or bad guys, trading rounds among hundreds of children. The reason homicidal maniacs are going to schools to murder children is because they can go to schools to murder our children. We invest much in securing the things we deem important and vulnerable, government buildings, airports, infrastructure, etc. Nothing is more important and vulnerable than our children. What is preventing us from applying this level of security to all of our schools? I'm asking about "all" because some schools are already there.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    There's room for improvement, but it's a decently designed school with some elements that seem to have been security-inspired. I can't remember what year it opened, as I didn't live here then, but I believe it was built post-Columbine. It is not as secure as the courthouse though...
    Why isn't it as secure as an average courthouse, government building, airport, critical infrastructure, etc.? Are those places more valuable and more worthy of securing? How many mass shootings are happening in those places versus our schools?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Understood, yes, in this case the evil homicidal maniac crashed his grandmother's pick up near the school. He could have walked onto the campus just like so many other schools. I also understand an SRO engaged him on campus. Let's apply some left of boom strategy. No access to campus equals no access to children to murder. Nobody, good guys or bad guys, trading rounds among hundreds of children. The reason homicidal maniacs are going to schools to murder children is because they can go to schools to murder our children. We invest much in securing the things we deem important and vulnerable, government buildings, airports, infrastructure, etc. Nothing is more important and vulnerable than our children. What is preventing us from applying this level of security to all of our schools? I'm asking about "all" because some schools are already there.
    Schools are attacked because:

It's instant international news
    Fewer people to fight back
    The perpetrators tend to be young and a large percentage of their life was spent in school, so it's familiar territory.

Shootings occur at government buildings, airports, etc. as well. Courthouses have been a fairly popular target historically, knowing there are a bunch o' armed people there.

I get your desire, but it's unrealistic. Parents will quickly get tired of Checkpoint Charlie to get their kids and the budget requirements. Many, many more children are killed off school grounds then on them. Just not so many at a time so the media doesn't tell you about it. It is not resources well spent.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It is not resources well spent.
    If it isn't resources well spent on schools filled with our children then it isn't resources well spent on all of those other places currently being treated to security. It think it is not only realistic, but there are existing schools that have this level of security.

Check out Andrew Pollack. His 14yo daughter, Meadow, was killed in the Parkland, FL school shooting. He is a school safety consultant promoting single point entry, metal detectors and armed guards. Andrew travels the country promoting campus safety.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    If it isn't resources well spent on schools filled with our children then it isn't resources well spent on all of those other places currently being treated to security. It think it is not only realistic, but there are existing schools that have this level of security.

Check out Andrew Pollack. His 14yo daughter, Meadow, was killed in the Parkland, FL school shooting. He is a school safety consultant promoting single point entry, metal detectors and armed guards. Andrew travels the country promoting campus safety.

Onlookers urged police to charge into Texas school

https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-te...482483df6e4683

Upset that police were not moving in, he raised the idea of charging into the school with several other bystanders.

“Let’s just rush in because the cops aren’t doing anything like they are supposed to,” he said. “More could have been done.”

“They were unprepared,” he added.

Quote Originally Posted by Aisin Gioro View Post
    Looking at the problem from a cultural-mental health perspective, yes, that's a very useful way to think and talk about incidents like this. The features of what might be called "public mass shootings" (i.e., those not connected to a primary crime/series of criminal activity or those targeting exclusively or predominately family members) are strikingly similar to the old Malay/Indonesian/Bruneian incidents of "running amok".
    I think this and the point by @OolongJohnson are dead on.

I think reframing the problem as spectacular suicides gives us an under-examined and potentially fruitful way forward, both in terms of ameliorating the problem, as well as directing the public discourse in the correct direction.

We've seen similar cleaver attacks in China, which like to present them as separatist actions, but it's clear that the people involved often view/speak about them as their own twisted little stand at Thermopylae.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Site Supporter
    As I understand, since Ferguson, “warrior training” and the attendant mindset has been taboo for police. Having officers wait outside for SWAT or something has been known to be a failing strategy since Columbine. Seems to me that this hesitancy to act decisively is yet another product of the current war on police.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'd give it at least two weeks for the fog of war to clear before thinking we know what actually happened and the precise timing or reasons for anything.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List