Page 59 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 LastLast

Thread: pistol-training.com 2011 Endurance Test Gun

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    All for personal use. I'd never sell any of them. Ever. For any reason.

On that note, if they were the stainless slide version...

ETA: if you could ensure 2 were roll marked "10MM" and 3 were marked "10MM AUTO" and if one was marked "10" and the final was marked "HAMMER OF JESUS "THOR" CHRIST". That would be great.

Again, all for personal use. I'd never fathom marking for sale a factory stainless 10MM Hk USP with 12 factory magazines.
    I'd love the one marked "10"

[QUOTE=Up1911Fan;84578]
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    if not for the fact that I wanted to avoid becoming "the HK shooter" I would have done a third HK the next year. QUOTE]

P2000? Just curious what HK you would've chosen after doing the P30 and HK45?
    Ooh that would have been a neat compare and contrast.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Alright... I went out in left field, I'll admit it.

My 1911 had a soul... a soul black as coal, it was evil and dark and angry, mad too. And good lord it hated 10 round magazines, with a firestorm of passion.

Alright, What I'd say is the Glock had no personality, it wasn't unique, it wasn't hip, it wasn't happening. It was talking Jive. Mad. Jive.

All joking aside.

What I'm trying to say is there's an intangible element of endearment that the gun just doesn't have for a lot of people. It contributes to a joyless and lackluster experience. They're neat because they meet expectation and are fairly reliable.

I probably will never be able to satisfactorily quantify what I'm trying to express this gun lacks, but whatever *it* is. It lacks it. I don't have the feeling of ownership or personal property associated with the Glock like I did the Dan Wesson. Feels like I bought a Honda Accord of guns to lend back to the original example. When people look at it you say "Eh, it does what I need it to do well, it's affordable, and plentiful."

What I contribute this to is, I really think Gaston Glock, the furniture manufacturer from Austria, looked at a gun, and said "Let's industrial engineer this", lightened it with the most modern (at that time) materials, developed the highest capacity magazine they could in a full size frame, put a polygonal barrel in it, in the NATO Caliber, borrowed from every design what they thought was useful and tried to develop it to be mass produced at the lowest price.

(ETA 2: and they did it, in 90 days, which, hats off to them, but, something like say the HK P7, was just simply put innovative, was it over ambitious and overly complicated? Sure. 1911, was a modern wonder gun when it came out, you could detail strip the thing with a .45 ACP Cartride, it was a semi-auto, and it was a cut down .45 Colt, it was a wild thing with a thumb safety and a grip safety for cavalry, it was innovative and just different, they were ambitious. The Glock looks like they said "What are the most established known technologies? How can we augment that to make manufacturing/design more efficient?" But, they weren't pushing the envelope, that's how I see it anyway. Again, don't lose any sleep over it. I didn't think I'd have to really dive into this "soul", "character", "identity" thing like I've had to. The term like building a better mouse trap come to mind, they tweaked things, etc.)

Is that wrong? No, it's just a gun. It just kind of reminds me of a Model-T Ford, kind of fills that same "we make one car, in one color" niche.

Don't you all dare act like I'm weird. I'm not the only one owning this "soul" thing.

ETA: When I was a young lad, it reminds me of the days I loved 1911 lore deeply. There was a saying, people who are issued guns get Glocks, people who like guns buy 1911's, or something to that effect. Maybe this resonates with people, maybe it doesn't. It's been entertaining though.
    I love this post! But to the bolded part - "It" the Glock doesn't lack "it"; the shooters lack "it" for the gun. Only way to explain why Glocks make others swoon even without "pride of ownership" qualities.
    Again, great post.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    "It" the Glock doesn't lack "it"; the shooters lack "it" for the gun.
    Exactly! That's where the Honda-Ferrari comparison fails. To some people, Glock is the Honda. To others, it's the Ferrari.

Exactly! That's where the Honda-Ferrari comparison fails. To some people, Glock is the Honda. To others, it's the Ferrari.
    Roger that! Ferrari analogy is jumping the shark. lol

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I love this post! But to the bolded part - "It" the Glock doesn't lack "it"; the shooters lack "it" for the gun. Only way to explain why Glocks make others swoon even without "pride of ownership" qualities.
    Again, great post.
    So what you're saying is... It's not the gun... It's... me? Can it be true?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGzn7GSzQPQ

ETA: if you could ensure 2 were roll marked "10MM" and 3 were marked "10MM AUTO" and if one was marked "10" and the final was marked "HAMMER OF JESUS "THOR" CHRIST". That would be great.
    That last one comes with a copy of the Crusade Edition of the Bible (King James, of course).

I inherited a Crusade Edition of the Bible from my Grandmother, I did not know she was a gangster.

They asked me what I'd like to shoot and I jokingly said I'd like them to build me a pair of P30s in 357 SIG. They said they'd ask Germany but "it shouldn't be a problem."

Integrity forced me to decline. Not only would it have been a silly test -- a gun no one would ever be able to buy -- but in my heart I knew I'd find a couple of crazy HK zealots (multiple redundancies in that phrase) and sell them each for enough money to buy myself a small island.

Todd, Who had (has?) the crazier zealots, HK, Beretta, or Sig?

We are diminished
    HK by many orders of magnitude. They also build incredible guns, so you can't really blame the fans.

HK by many orders of magnitude. They also build incredible guns, so you can't really blame the fans.
    ROLFMAO

I don't blame the fans either. I wish I knew some to shoot with vs my boring Glocks.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by wecole View Post
    Todd, Who had (has?) the crazier zealots, HK, Beretta, or Sig?
    HK fanbois and girlz are the worst, by far.

They're worse than flag-waving 1911 yayhoos who mumble quotes from Jeff Cooper in their sleep, celebrate JMB's birthday every year (it's the day before mine, in case you were wondering,) and make goofy cracks like "If it was good enough for Sergeant York, it's good enough for me!"

They're worse than guys who show up at GSSF matches wearing Glock hats, Glock shirts, a Glock windbreaker, and getting their Glock pistol in its Glock gun rug out of the Glock range bag that was in the back of their SUV with the Glock sticker on the back window and when they reach in to get it, you can see the big "G" logo tattooed on their arm. (Back in the early days of Win 95, I had a Glock desktop theme. Complete with .wav files of Tommy Lee Jones from US Marshals.)

HK owners are like BMW drivers. They think that by buying some mass-produced piece of Teutonic consumer goods, they have demonstrated, not only their discerning taste and refinement, but also their superior skill as an operator of said consumer good, because the skill comes in the box with the gun. P7 owners are tied with Mk23 owners as the pinnacles of the breed. (I actually cried when financial reasons compelled me to sell my first P7...)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List