Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.8 SPC vs 5.56

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I never understood why no one offers 14.5 barrels in 6.8mm ? Mainly 16.1+FH and sbr barrels that are under 14.5inches
    Well, LWRC does make 14.7" barreled uppers in 6.8. Not sure if you're looking for just a barrel or a complete upper/rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Not sure what the point of the 6.8SPC is when the 6.5 Grendel is available. Whatever the 6.8 can do the 6.5 can do better by orders of magnitude.

You were saying?

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Could you explain what it is that makes the 6.5 so vastly superior, but in a way that military testing would not recognize?

I mean it's one thing to say "the 6.5 was just as good but the army wanted to reward their own people" but I find it hard to imagine that one is utterly BETTER, and both are publicly available so relative performance will be public knowledge...but they still went with the one that blows.

See: FAL vs. M14.

Also see: Magazine PiP.

Magpul's followers have been out for a while and work fine...but the military wanted their OWN follower...

The military is infamous for spending millions developing "their own thing" when superior civilian products exist and continue to be used instead of whatever crap they dream up on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    AS--You appear quite ignorant and ill-informed regarding this subject; Big Army did everything they could to kill the SF developed 6.8 mm. It took FBI (not military) involvement before the early 6.8 mm terminal test results were validated.

Neither 6.8 SPC nor 6.5G was adopted by the US military.
    I thought that it took the involvement (investment...) of the other country's (Jordan, etc.)that LWRC/ATK/Magpul developed weapons and ammo for to make the 6.8 a viable weapon SYSTEM?

That was the most recent public example of 6.8 mm in military/government use. There have been other less publicized deployments. Note that MURG conclusively demonstrated 6.8 mm combat system capability back in 2006.

Also keep in mind that 6.8 mm was intended as an interim and expedient upgrade to existing M4's to allow them to quickly be modified to over-match our opponents 7.62x39 mm systems back in 2001-2002. These days there are better choices available for a combat cartridge, for example AMU's new .264 USA, Cris Murray's optimized 7x46 mm, or even a cased telescoping 7 mm...

For civilian and LE use, 6.8 mm is an easy way to provide substantially better terminal performance in the AR15 FOW over the typical engagement range of a carbine.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Don't you go changin', crazy internets!
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    I never understood why no one offers 14.5 barrels in 6.8mm ? Mainly 16.1+FH and sbr barrels that are under 14.5inches
    ARP has 14.5 6.8 barrels in stock. They had 14.5 6.8 barrel on sale for Black Friday and I got one. Looking forward to the build.

Quote Originally Posted by NotAnExpert View Post
    Well, LWRC does make 14.7" barreled uppers in 6.8. Not sure if you're looking for just a barrel or a complete upper/rifle.

To be fair its been sometime since I last looked at car uppers
    Thank you.

BTW are they piston driven? I know most of there uppers were at one time. I prefer DI But have heard good things about LWR asquality goes.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    With the exception of moose. Or at least I am not willing to hunt moose with a .30-30 or its equivalent.
    I wouldn't have a problem with it. I could put several rounds into it.

I wouldn't have a problem with it. I could put several rounds into it.
    http://www.nssf.org/safety/lit/EthicalHunter.pdf

User Tag List