Page 50 of 56 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 PTC Test Guns - Springfield 9mm 1911

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I know the answer to the first part is yes so presumably so is the second.
    Link?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Todd, I consider the barrel to be a consumable on a high round count handgun or rifle. Ask SLG how many rounds some precision rifles are good for.

Interesting question -- I assumed 9mm would be easier on the pistol than .45, but perhaps 9mm, especially +P is harder than .45 on a 1911?
    Had a buddy shoot out a 6.5-284 in 1500 rounds. It wouldn't break 1" at 300 yrds after 500 rounds. And wouldn't break 1" at 200 yrds after 1000 rounds.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Todd, I consider the barrel to be a consumable on a high round count handgun or rifle. Ask SLG how many rounds some precision rifles are good for.
    On a rifle I totally get it. First, the rifle might be generating close to twice the chamber pressure of 9mm and sending a bullet 2-3 times as fast down the barrel. That's going to cause wear much, much faster. There's also less wear on the other major components of a rifle because they're not reciprocating in recoil, etc. It really is an apples to oranges comparison.

I've got no heartburn with replacing a pistol barrel, either, if it wears out. But for most of the guns I test, a barrel replacement represents a significant percentage of overall pistol replacement cost. That's why in most government/military testing, breakage of any of those three parts (frame, slide, barrel) is considered failure of the gun overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Link?
    Google? It was fixed the first time I sent the gun to Springfield for a broken ejector.

It's showing signs of deformation again already. My backup gun, with less than 3k rounds through it, already shows some peeling of the metal at the slide stop notch.

Todd,

FWIW, I have a custom 1911 bult on a springer that had the same issue. I ignored it. When I broke the thumb safety off, and sent it to SACS to have a new one fit, I had it refinished and they cleaned up the notch.

I do not have my log book with me, but I was well north of 25k rounds at the time. I want to say it was more like 35k. Other than cosmetics, the notch was not causing an issue.
    C Class shooter.

We are diminished
    KB#1 -- My recollection is that mine went back in the low 30's. Fifteen thousand rounds later it was noticeable again. It's impossible to determine whether the rounding of the notch played a significant role in the slidelock failures I was experiencing. I know my grip definitely had an impact but there's no escaping the fact that the deformed notch reduced the margin of error. The Wilson #7B extended slide stop seems to be less prone to interference from my support hand so I'm hoping those problems will go away completely in which case the slide stop notch wear might become a non-issue as you suggest.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    FWIW, I have a custom 1911 bult on a springer that had the same issue. I ignored it. When I broke the thumb safety off, and sent it to SACS to have a new one fit, I had it refinished and they cleaned up the notch.

I do not have my log book with me, but I was well north of 25k rounds at the time. I want to say it was more like 35k. Other than cosmetics, the notch was not causing an issue.
    This is what happens when Rockwell Hardness becomes an advertising bullet point for aftermarket parts.

With the trend to slide stops that are harder than woodpecker lips and slides that are heat-treated to... well, whatever Imbel heat treats them to, this strikes me as an issue that is bound to occur.

I do not have a gun book on my '00-vintage Pro, but it's got probably somewhere between 8k and 10k rounds through it and has whatever in-house slide stop SACS was using at the time, and it still has Black-T up in the slide notch.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    This is what happens when Rockwell Hardness becomes an advertising bullet point for aftermarket parts.

With the trend to slide stops that are harder than woodpecker lips and slides that are heat-treated to... well, whatever Imbel heat treats them to, this strikes me as an issue that is bound to occur.

I do not have a gun book on my '00-vintage Pro, but it's got probably somewhere between 8k and 10k rounds through it and has whatever in-house slide stop SACS was using at the time, and it still has Black-T up in the slide notch.
    I'd put my money on a cast slide stop where the pin isn't perpendicular to the lever.

Brown's are famous for this - cast slide stop slightly out of square. Can be exasperated with a slide on the soft side. I have a new SS Exec Elite with the fully machined stop, no evidence this is going to be an issue using layout die to determine contact.

We are diminished
    Initial impressions:

10-8 flat trigger, seemed nice. It lets me ride the trigger higher which I like. Now that I feel confident in my ability to install one I'm probably going to get a medium- and short-length trigger to try them, too.

Wilson 7B extended slide stop, undecided. While it's faster when everything works perfectly, the thumb safety blocks my access to it. The result is that my strong hand grip on the gun is lower at the end of a reload unless I take the time to adjust. Measuring just the time from mag insertion to first shot I could get 0.10-0.20 seconds faster using my SH thumb but recoil control was noticeably worse. If I took the time to establish my grip then it was the same or slower than using the WH thumb. On the plus side, the extended lever seemed less fumble prone when going fast using the WH thumb. It protrudes a little less but has a much longer strike surface. Also, the lever itself is a bit higher on the gun and farther back (obviously) which made getting a higher grip on the gun possible without interfering with slidelock.

Dawson Precision 10rd 9mm magazines, unsat. I got three with the "tactical" basepad and three with their regular basepad. Two of the regular pad magazines fail to lock the slide back about 50% of the time. When they fail to lock back, they also get stuck in the gun and won't fall free when the magazine release button is pressed. This happened half a dozen times with each mag before I tossed them in my range bag as damaged goods. One of the tactical pad magazines induced a substantial stoppage (would count as a malfunction in 2K Challenge terms) where the spent case was extracted right into the extra-wide feed lip of the magazine, jamming it between the magazine and the inside of the top of the slide. The slide wouldn't move and the magazine was literally jammed in place. I finally had to put the gun on the ground butt-up, hold it in place, and rip the magazine out. I cannot say whether that was a fluke or not because it only happened once in about 400 rounds across all six mags. I was also using four 10rd Wilson ETM mags as "controls" all day and they had no problems whatsoever. For now, the two mags that won't lock the slide are going to be returned and the other four I'll keep as practice-only mags.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    I'd put my money on a cast slide stop where the pin isn't perpendicular to the lever.
    I'm going to be on hiatus from shooting for a few weeks in mid September. If you want, I'm happy to ship the whole gun to you for professional evaluation.

When they fail to lock back, they also get stuck in the gun and won't fall free when the magazine release button is pressed.
    QV previous item, nonstandard, incorrect part.
    The Wilson 7b slide stop is described in their material as "Only available for .45 ACP"
    Were you using that part with the Dawson magazines? Changing two variables at the same time, tsk, tsk.
    The Dawson sheet metal follower was snapping over the slide stop lug.
    You got away with using the .45 part with Wilson magazines because the front skirt would not let the follower override the slide stop.

Ramming an extracted round back into the magazine lips is normally from marginal extractor fit.

User Tag List