Page 17 of 120 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

I think a .357 with hard cast would be a good choice. If I was carrying a revolver, it would be 329, as I have a few and would be shooting it in circumstances that recoil would be a secondary consideration.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Smith 69? 5 shot L-frame? Big bore carry?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
    P

I have been messing around with a S&W Model 69 for the last two months.
    Mostly I like it.
    Factory grips suck and were replaced with Hogue Rubber non finger groove grips.
    Rear sight was opened up to ~.150" removing the white outline and making the front sight easier to see.
    The HKS speed loader for the Charter Arms .44 Bulldog works fine with the hogue grips installed, but will not work with the S&W factory grips.
    I have fired 250 rounds of Buffalo Bore 255 gr Keith @ 1250 fps through this revolver and it is way more pleasant to shoot than the S&W 329 and to me it is better balanced than the N frame guns. And I don't see 5 round capacity as a handicap, I have trouble with the 6 shot of 44 magnum rapid fire double action anyway, pausing to reload after 5 shots give me a break.

Greetings, Mike! I hear really good things about this revolver. Bill Wilson confirms it works great on hogs.

While I think 5 cartridges is fine For hunting, I believe 6 rounds is too few for a bear defense handgun, and 5 is just a personal deal breaker for me regardless of how good it shoots.

Hi George,
    I agree with 5 not good enough for big bears. We don't have too many of those here in Oklahoma.
    If I was in big bear country I'd probably go with the 10mm Glock.

10mm is fine for black bear. But it is not adequate for grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    10mm is fine for black bear. But it is not adequate for grizzly.
    Would appreciate it if you would elaborate with your reasoning and experience on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Greetings, Mike! I hear really good things about this revolver. Bill Wilson confirms it works great on hogs.

While I think 5 cartridges is fine For hunting, I believe 6 rounds is too few for a bear defense handgun, and 5 is just a personal deal breaker for me regardless of how good it shoots.
    It takes awhile to unload a 6 round cylinder of .44 full house loads into say a 4x6 card at 10 yards. You feel strongly capacity is the issue if someone goes the magnum handgun route? I get the 10 or .40 argument. I think those are a pretty smart play. But if you want the big smack of magnum six gun . . . it's a sixgun or I guess, 5 gun.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Based on enough bear encounters to make an impression on me, possibly the most effective handgun cartridge that exists, is the round fired in the dirt in front of an approaching bear, that causes them to turn and leave you alone. Unfortunately in some percentage of cases, that shot has the opposite effect and prompts an immediate charge. Starting with five cartridges, I wouldn't feel keen on firing a warning shot.

Interestingly, in two instances I recall, a warning shot turned three bears -- a sow and two "cubs."

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Would appreciate it if you would elaborate with your reasoning and experience on this topic.
    No offense but if I have to justify why 10mm is inadequate for a grizzly then I think you need to do more research on the subject yourself. Ballistics 101

1000 + lbs worth of anger willing to fight to the death coming down on you? I'll take 12 gauge slugs. You can have your 10mm.

Black bear? Yes. Adequate. They tend to run when shot. I ran one off with a glock 17.

When I lived in griz country you wouldn't see me out without my 12 in my eberlestock and my 44 on my chest as my last ditch handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    No offense but if I have to justify why 10mm is inadequate for a grizzly then I think you need to do more research on the subject yourself. Ballistics 101

1000 + lbs worth of anger willing to fight to the death coming down on you? I'll take 12 gauge slugs. You can have your 10mm.

Black bear? Yes. Adequate. They tend to run when shot. I ran one off with a glock 17.

When I lived in griz country you wouldn't see me out without my 12 in my eberlestock and my 44 on my chest as my last ditch handgun.
    Research has been done. You don't need a .44 to pop a brain pan. Which is about one's best play with a pistol at less than 15 yards and coming fast.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List