Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Performance Center 9mm 1911

S&W Performance Center 9mm 1911

What do the experts think of this gun? I recently attended the smith S&W M&P armorers course and have been given the opportunity to buy an M&P pistol at a significant discount, however something about the M&P just doesn't really get me too excited so I was considering buying the 627 with the 8 shot cylinder or maybe a 686 SSR. This weekend though the shop I work in got a SW 9mm 1911 in and that got me thinking. How is reliability on one of these? I'd be interested in picking one up for a carry gun and replacing the magwell, hammer, beaver tail and guide rod (replace with GI) with all Wilson parts. Todd's 9mm 1911 got me thinking so I started looking at one of these as I can get a pretty sweet deal on one. I think it would go nice with an SME carried at 11:30.

That was a good thread, JV, but other than Julie G's endorsement (which should be good enough for anyone) there was little that specifically addressed the OP's OQ about the S&W. I'm interested (though lord knows I don't need another 1911 of any sort).
    Ignore Alien Orders

I like to stick with the Colt 70 specs.

I did have good luck with a Colt 80S Combat Elite I bought in the late 80`s

I'm not a fan of the long extractor like on the S&W or Sig ( Advice given to me when I was starting getting into 1911`s)

I do love the S&W revolvers J, K, L

And wouldn't mind trying out the 8 shot 357 snub nose
    I thinks its the LW model 327 ?? I'll go to the S&W website to make sure. Edit yes its the M327

Speed loaders or moon clips might be a problem

8 shot of 38spl +P sounds pretty good

According to the dudes at 10-8 Performance, but external extractor on the S&W 1911s is the best external extractor 1911 design yet, which is sort of damning by faint praise. The Pro Series 9mm 1911 gun they have is one of the few factory 9mm 1911s that I've seen run well right out of the box, which is something. I'm just not sold on the idea of 9mm 1911, Todd's experience aside to really get all hot and bothered about them. If it was a .38 Super on the other hand...

Site Supporter
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Do you feel lucky Punk? Well, do ya?

S&W is one of the precious few 9mm 1911 makers that lighten the slide.

Of the people that I am personally aware of, the 9mm Pro Series 1911 is considered the best non $2k+ one out there.

They do?
    The Sw1911 Pro 9mm catalogs the same 41 oz as the .45. Do they take off just enough to make up for the smaller hole in the barrel?

It would still be my first stop if I were rearming.

Thanks for some advice guys. I think I'll end up giving the pro series a try. It will start off as a game gun and if it proves to be reliable I'll use it for a carry piece. I'm getting into reloading too so, my next 1911 may be a Wilson .38 Super.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. Goodtimes View Post
    my next 1911 may be a wilson .38 super.
    dooooo eeeeeeeettttt

User Tag List