Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Is having a hammer for Appendix carry worth changing platforms?

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    There were ND's with duty revolvers back in the day, also seen lots of folks have ND's with DA/SA pistols--especially after forgetting to decock...
    Holsters that didn't cover the trigger guard (revolvers)

I forgot to decock once and holster my DA/SA pistol. Also had a ND when shooting M37 12GA. I racked it while pressing the trigger.

BTW' Ive heard some say if the tigger guard is covered on a DA/SA Pistol it wouldn't matter if the hammer is up?
    Last edited by Rich; 12-09-2014 at 07:33 AM.

I carried a Ruger P95 AIWB quite comfortably for years and had no problem with it. Of course it had like a 12 lb. first DA trigger pull. My current carry piece is a CZ 75B SA. That I do NOT feel comfortable carrying that way because even though it has a manual safety I feel like by moving around the safety might somehow inadvertently get disengaged and the thought of that hammer being back with no safety engaged is not a pleasant thought. I'm transitioning to a M&P9 FS now, and also wouldn't carry that AWIB even if it had a manual safety because of that 6.5 LB. "action and a half" trigger. I guess my point is that the only way I would be comfortable carrying that way again would be with a DA/SA pistol that had a good heavy DA pull...just me.

We are diminished
    FWIW, IMHO, a proper holster for a cocked & locked pistol should be specifically designed to prevent the safety from coming off while holstered, and ideally should force the safety into the SAFE position as it's holstered if, for some reason, the user failed to do so himself.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    FWIW, IMHO, a proper holster for a cocked & locked pistol should be specifically designed to prevent the safety from coming off while holstered, and ideally should force the safety into the SAFE position as it's holstered if, for some reason, the user failed to do so himself.
    The KYDEX holster Tony made me for my P30S/TLR-1 will do that . (V3 IWB-Light)

However I now carry the pistol with safety off and hammer down , and shoot it like a DA. The second V3IWB-Light Tony made (P30S / GEN2 APL) me excepts my pistol with safety off or on.

Now the Colt 1911 and Officers ACP , mustang were my very first pistols. And my leather holsters didn't lock on the safety. I also would only use OWB & IWB with thumb straps.

We are diminished
    When SLG and I were working on his idea for an appendix holster with John Ralston of 5 Shot Leather, the 1911 model was specifically designed to make sure the safety was on when holstered.

I'm having another 1911 leather aiwb holster crafted by another maker and he confirmed his 1911 holsters do the same thing (force the pistol to be on SAFE as they are holstered).

And as you said, that's the way Tony at JMCK does his holsters, as well.

Not that it comes up a lot in these circles, but it's a really good reason not to use Andy Aratoonian, ever. His leather craft is first rate -- and I mean literally the best I own, and I own many many -- but he insists on molding the safety in the down position. A Horseshoe Leather holster will literally force your safety off as you holster. I'll save the epithets, but it's a darn shame.

Has anyone heard of any instances of clothing such as shirt,boxers,etc... causing the trigger to pull when reholstering aiwb? That is probably one of my biggest concerns as someone who carries a Glock aiwb and why I always look at what I'm doing when I reholster. That can be hard to do however, with limited lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by kobudo View Post
    Has anyone heard of any instances of clothing such as shirt,boxers,etc... causing the trigger to pull when reholstering aiwb? That is probably one of my biggest concerns as someone who carries a Glock aiwb and why I always look at what I'm doing when I reholster. That can be hard to do however, with limited lighting.
    While I think it could happen, I would be more worried about drawing during a drill for time. There are a lot of ways to mitigate the risk (even if you are carrying a gun with a safety or hammer) by body position in relation to your holster. I like to have the muzzle pushed out (either by extra tuck or foam) which, even if I screw up, would just put a hole into my pants (hopefully ). There is a risk for everything and while I think a hammer is safer, I think the only true platform that gets the benefit of it is either a dao or lem. I much rather put a striker fire back into a aiwb holster then a DA/SA that I forgot to decock in the heat of the moment (nyeti commented he once had to talk someone through decocking after a shooting).

First time I have heard of that idea and I LOVE it. I carry appendix with safety ON.

I work a swing shift and I have seen how I perform after having been up all day with no sleep. I want the extra layer.

(force the pistol to be on SAFE as they are holstered).
    I see lots of guys on forums claiming a need for a proper sweat shield divot to ensure their safety stays locked in place. I don't know how a holster maker could possibly account for all the crazy thumb safety shapes and designs available, especially when you add the low mount variety into the mix.

While my own experience is limited, I can place my 1911 in either of my two very closely molded holsters with sweat shields, one kydex and the other leather, with the safety either off or on, and the gun and thumb safety will simply push the sweat shield out of the way. I can wear that gun in either of those holsters all day long and the thumb safety will not move. My feeling is if your thumb safety is getting switched on or off while the gun is holstered, by something other than your thumb, it is more likely a problem with your thumb safety rather than your holster.

If you notice most of the (what are now) old school holster makers, Sparks, Del Fatti, Rosen, Alessi, Kramer, etc., that really probably made their name as 1911 holster makers, they either don't offer a sweat shield or the ones they do offer, are fairly short.

I would be intrigued to see a holster in operation that is designed to switch a thumb safety on. While I am skeptical, there certainly is value to the concept.

User Tag List