Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk BBQ rub.

Let's talk BBQ rub.

What's the best stuff you've ever had, and where in the hell can I get it? (Dry rub specifically).
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

That;s going to depend on what you are cooking and what methods you are using.

For pork that is being smoked of indirectly grilled, I like my own mix of cane sugar, kosher salt, chili powder, and fresh ground black pepper.

For beef that is being smoked, I like the Cow Lick from Dizzy Pig. For steaks and such, I like kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper or the Cow Lick, but I think the Cow Lick looses a little punch in direct grilling.

I am by no means an expert but two of my favorites that my wife and I make-

Larue Dillo Dust on center cut pork chops, throw them on a hot grill to sear them, then put them in a slow cooker with some barbecue sauce- usually Famous Dave's Devils Spit with something else thrown in.

Stubbs BBQ rub. I really like it on grilled chicken but it is good on pork and beef as well.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    That;s going to depend on what you are cooking and what methods you are using.
    Pork butt, ribs, and brisket, all smoked low and slow.
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

For Jamacian Jerk, I'm partial to the Walkers Wood- it's more of a paste, but really nice in the spicy department.

For chicken, I do a Cuban style rub of cumin, sea salt, pepper, garlic, and a little lime juice.

For fish, I'm partial to either Everglades Fire or Gator Hammock.

Site Supporter
    For pork I'm partial to this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html. It's also astonishingly good on toast.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    Pork butt, ribs, and brisket, all smoked low and slow.
    A really personal choice, but I've found that a combination of the following will give a nice bark and good flavor to properly cooked 'cue (salt, sugar, paprika/pepper make up the bulk):
    Kosher salt, sweet paprika, dark brown sugar, black pepper, chili powder (chipotle/cayenne), granulated garlic, dry mustard, ground sage, dry thyme. I'm partial to a vinegar based sauce to baste during the cooking, for flavor contrast, and to help develop a nice crust.

Pork does well with more sugar, ribs like spice, and brisket doesn't need too much, cause its just so damn good.

Texasbbqrub.com once you try it nothing else comes close.

Credibility: I'm from Kansas City, and therefore understand barbecue, as opposed to people who are from anywhere else, who don't.

I pay people to smoke meat for me. It's time and capital intensive if done right beyond the capacity of the hobbyist.

If pressed, this:
    http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze..._americas.html
    Ain't bad in a pinch. Penzeys is also a good source for component spices if you want to roll your own.

What should go into a rub depends on what you're rubbing. What did you have in mind and what time is dinner?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    Credibility: I'm from Kansas City, and therefore understand barbecue, as opposed to people who are from anywhere else, who don't.
    My god, you people have good BBQ. I had a buddy from Kansas City (Lenexa, technically) bring me some pulled pork one time.....it was amazing.

User Tag List