Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Scout

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    Right. I never understood the point of the scout rifle concept. Seems like a solution for a problem that stopped existing a long time ago.
    The AR15 and 75 grain bullets largely make the Scout Rifle pointless from a purely practical standpoint.

I just think Cooper was prone to romanticism from time to time and spent a lot of time refighting the Boer War in his head while developing the concept.

Admittedly that is an uninformed impression based largely on nothing.
    Last edited by TR675; 04-03-2014 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    I just think Cooper was prone to romanticism from time to time and spent a lot of time refighting the Boer War in his head.
    Yes, but which one?

Ruger Gunsite Scout

All of them?

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    The AR15 and 75 grain bullets largely make the Scout Rifle pointless from a purely practical standpoint.
    Not to mention 6.8 and 6.5. You can build an AR15 that is just as light in these calibers as an average 308 scout rifle, still very well capable of taking average game, with better accuracy, lower recoil, as well it being semi-auto and higher capacity if the need arises....like hunting in areas known by poachers, meth heads, ect. 5 or 10 round mag in the gun, 30 round mag in a kytex pouch on your belt....talk about a multipurpose rifle that cannot be beat.

After trying one, I'm not necessarily sold on the scout scope concept, either. But, with a Andy Langois Rhodesian sling and stripper clips, the gun is really fun to shoot from standing. I think it's just another fun flavor of rifle, personally.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Right, but there is a difference between a detachable box magazine and a big, chunky, sharp-edged detachable box magazine.

My P-Scout has a detachable box magazine. That doesn't mean it has a monstrosity of a magazine on it.

I'm familiar with what a scout rifle is......I'm asking what the attraction to a large magazine like the Ruger GSR is. I don't know if it's just a poor feature, or if there is an actual reason/advantage to it.
    That sound I heard was your point flying over my head... I thought you were questioning having a detachable box magazine at all.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Can you direct me to the info about the detachable magazine being a spec of the scout concept? I've seen it mentioned as desirable, but not necessary. Not that I'm hung up on the exact specs for my own use, just curious about that bit.
    It is not impossible that I'm remembering it wrong...
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I happen to have an Ishapore and have been kicking around the idea of making a scout rifle out of it. Any ideas on who did the work on your friend's rifle? I'm also unable to find any kind of replacement stock for it (it's been importer-converted into a jungle carbine configuration)
    PM sent.

ETA: note to elf, next time, identify all the posts in one thread you want to respond to, and do the "Quote multiple posts" thing...
    Glenn Reynolds

I have a couple of Savage .308s, one of which is an original Scout. Someone school me why these might not be suitable for the job.

I would love it if they could be clip loaded, but both have DBMs that can be single loaded through the top so they got that going on at least.

I handled one of the Rugers last weekend and I do want one. I've been following the Scout concept since reading the 1984 Gun Digest article about them. My other 308 bolt gun is a Remington LTR and I'd plan on using the Ruger for hunting when I didn't want the weight of the LTR.

User Tag List