Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: An argument for the Sig

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    You may only be half way there. Full Sig spell is you peruse the Sig Forum daily, have the armorer's CD from GGI, a 239 with a laser for carry, a 229 for more carry, and are thinking about getting a 228 and 220.
    But I'm carrying the 226 AIWB with a WML, doesn't that make me one of the cool kids or do I need the other stuff too?...

I got to handle a 224 the other day, I kind of want a 9mm one...

...And an M11A1, real bad....

...And some more 226's...
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

OK, you are 3/4 the way there.

Damn, I wanted a 224 in 9, too.

Oddly, and I don't know why so don't ask me but the 226 is the only gun I've ever bought then actually WANTED a second one, and after I got the second one a third one sounds like a good idea. Argh.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

All my Sig pistols ran great, and I don't recall a single stoppage or other issue through the whole process. I believe learning the Sig DA trigger made me a better everything trigger shooter.

For now I am shooting a Glock 17 for training and lower 48, and carrying a Glock 22 with a KKM barrel and hard cast loads in Alaska.
    I'm curious as to why you went back to Glock. Just because it's your preference or...?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    Oddly, and I don't know why so don't ask me but the 226 is the only gun I've ever bought then actually WANTED a second one, and after I got the second one a third one sounds like a good idea. Argh.
    I have a German P226. Nice gun, I shoot it well (for me) and there's really no reason not to love the gun, but I don't. Not really sure why. I also don't hate it and if issued one I wouldn't complain, but given the choice I'd rather shoot a Glock or a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimura View Post
    I'm curious as to why you went back to Glock. Just because it's your preference or...?
    I really enjoyed the Sig, and learning to shoot it some. I enjoy shooting it at long distance targets as much as anything. My personal goal was to be able to shoot Advanced at Rogers with it, and I was able to do that in April after getting serious about the Sig in 2013.

With summer, the Glock is very attractive to me because my wife shoots one, we spend a lot of time 100 miles off the grid in Alaska and I can easily maintain our pistols, and we have carried a G 20/29 in the summer for years. Mostly, though I just had an itch to shoot a 17 again. It seems like I am 6-12 months behind whatever JV does.

Site Supporter
    It seems like I am 6-12 months behind whatever JV does.
    LOL. There's a lot of nothing going on over here.

I've been using classic Sigs for the better part of a decade. At first, I didn't like the Teutonic ergos of the gun, but soon adapted. We are required to carry classic Sigs, and nothing else. Some of my other officers call me the "gun hopper" because I'm always trying out new configs, calibers, and models. I've come to the conclusion that with practice I can shoot any one of them better than the vast majority of people that I know. P220 .45s, P226 9mm & .40s, P228 9mms, P229 .40s, P232 .380s, and P239 9mm & .40s. However, I've found that the dreaded P220 .45 seems to be the sweet spot for me as a duty gun. The slender, elongated grip seems to just naturally point the pistol where I want it to go, and it helps reduce lateral movement of the trigger when it is pulled. Yeah, I got some lip from people regarding my choice of using not only a single stacked gun, but a .45acp gun at that with a reputation for durability issues. Well I did my homework and stayed within the best model years, and learned every detail of the ins and outs of the gun. I've always been exceptionally smooth and fast with my reloads and emergency action drills, so working with the reduced capacity wasn't as much of a concern for me. I've never had any problems with the two carbon slide P220s that I run, probably because I lube them right, stick with standard pressure .45acp, and do a full service every 5000rds. I use an early 2000s P239 .40S&W as my off duty gun since it is also a single stack with the same magazine capacity. If I could choose any pistol that I wanted to carry on duty, I'd probably go with the HK45. I think the ergos on it are hard to beat, it seems to have a better action for better reliablity, and it will be easier to maintain......but hey, I make the best of what I am allowed to use.
    Last edited by Symmetry; 06-03-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Just an update, finished up the rest of my 9mm ammo this weekend other than some p9hst2 I'm keeping in reserve. I've got about 1500 rounds total with the sig. Here's the main thing I've noticed. My on demand accuracy is incredible for me, even at speed. Finding the magwell with the magazine could be a bit easier. I wish there was an after market option other than the sig extended grips. 17 pound Wolff mainspring has proven to be completely reliable with various types and qualities of Ammo.

At a recent range session with a buddy I made two shots that I wouldn't have been capable of with a glock. Since then I've started duplicating those shots with more frequency. I don't see myself switching from sig any time in the near future.
    J.M. Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    Just an update, finished up the rest of my 9mm ammo this weekend other than some p9hst2 I'm keeping in reserve. I've got about 1500 rounds total with the sig. Here's the main thing I've noticed. My on demand accuracy is incredible for me, even at speed. Finding the magwell with the magazine could be a bit easier. I wish there was an after market option other than the sig extended grips. 17 pound Wolff mainspring has proven to be completely reliable with various types and qualities of Ammo.

At a recent range session with a buddy I made two shots that I wouldn't have been capable of with a glock. Since then I've started duplicating those shots with more frequency. I don't see myself switching from sig any time in the near future.
    Very cool, glad it's working out for you. Would probably make an interesting show topic for you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Very cool, glad it's working out for you. Would probably make an interesting show topic for you as well.
    I probably won't talk about it much in all honesty. I don't know how many of the listeners are at the point where they can make the distinction between "It works well for me." and "It works well for me so you should go out and buy it." You'd be astounded with the number of people who thought I was telling them they absolutely had to go out and start carrying AIWB when it came up on the show.
    J.M. Johnston

User Tag List