Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a small SUV

I had to shop for a new SUV a little over a year ago when my 4Runner finally died at 315000 miles. While I would have loved another 4Runner, I really couldn't justify a vehicle that large anymore and I didn't want to pay for how much gas they burn.

I looked at the Subaru Outback and Forrester, as well as the Mazda CX-5. Narrowed it down to the CX-5 and the CR-V and decided that whichever one I found first with the features I wanted and thee right price Would be the winner. I ended up with a 2 year old CR-V with AWD. I have put about 30000 miles on it (I have a long commute) and I am very happy with it. I have driven it through heavy snow and it is very stable and easy to handle. I would really recommend one.

Site Supporter
    Went down same path for daughter's first new car. We went the Mazda Cx5 route and she is very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Went down same path for daughter's first new car. We went the Mazda Cx5 route and she is very happy.
    We are at the point now where it takes more work to find a bad car than a good one. It is now just a matter of what style and features one prefers and how much one is willing to pay. It is pretty much a given at this point that nearly everything from the major manufacturers is going to be reliable and durable.

Vending Machine Operator
    You know, the lemons do happen and it's pretty startling when they do. My mom had a Toyota Camry and an ex had a Toyota Corolla, both recent-manufacture, and they were incredibly horrible and unreliable vehicles. To the point that despite knowing they're a very reliable brand, I have a bad taste about them and will never own one, which I admit is illogical. I feel like the only guy who has seen two crummy HKs in rapid succession, or whatever the gun equivalent is.

So I'd agree you've got about a 99% change of things going well. Pick a color and a motor and give it TLC!
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 01-16-2017 at 07:20 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here or not yet, but I recently started selling Toyitas and the Rav4 is one of our best selling vehicles, all the safety stuff(pre collision system, lane departure alert, blind spot monitoring etc) can be turned off. I don't know if they can or can't in other manufacturers

And the safety stuff *generally* lowers insurance costs.

Every Toyota gets you full BT integration with voice control, so calls and radio adjustments can be made without taking your hands off the wheel or eyes off the road, and most models come with a back up camera standard

If I were buying a new small SUV tomorrow it would be a Rav4 or a Forester

This thread cost me some money. I was driving a '14 F-150 4WD w/ the ecoboost motor. I was looking to downsize since I no longer own a boat and have a longer commute. 16 mpg wasn't going to cut it. I have owned nothing but full size pickup trucks my entire life and its hard thinking of going to anything different. A Subaru wasn't even a consideration until I came across this thread, I was leaning towards a Toyota Camry. Drove off the lot last night with a 2016 Subaru Outback with the 2.5 liter boxer engine. I really wanted the 3.6 but they are very hard to find on the used market. Cut my car note by $200 in the process. The CVT transmission is a little weird but overall I love the car.

Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    If a Subaru Outback would tow my skiff, it would be my perfect vehicle. I need at least a 3k towing capacity for my boat (1800-ish for boat motor trailer), but I want an outback badly...
    The towing capacity of my 3.6 is 3000 pounds.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    The CVT transmission is a little weird but overall I love the car.
    I don't drive my wife's Crosstrek too often, but took a trip to NOVA with it a couple days back to pick up some stuff from CL. The CVT reminds me somewhat of some smaller hydrostatic-drive tractors that increase both the throttle and the hydro power at a consistent rate when you step on what used to be just a throttle pedal. In a similar vein, when going uphill with one of these tractors, the ground speed will fall off seamlessly while the engine maintains full power. The intention, of course, is to keep the tractor's engine from stalling out under the increased load of the hydro demand, but the net effect is a transmission that feels similar to a CVT. It truly is weird to someone who's used to the throttle controlling only the engine, and the gearshift or the hydro lever controlling only the transmission...it feels somewhat like an automatic transmission that's slipping under load and is about to leave you stranded.

I'm considering the newly revised 2017 Honda CRV after checking out most of the vehicles discussed here, I just need to actually test drive it before we make a final decision.

I need to drive one of the new Outbacks, Foresters, and Crosstreks. Herself and I have been driving a Subie since 2002,* first a 2002 Legacy L AWD wagon, then after a bad hit & run last Nov, a 2003 Impreza Outback Sport. Both had the 2.5 L motor @ 160 hp, the Outback Sport has the current all-time AWD system, and I really liked it. Of course, that one just got totaled in another H & R last week. It's a shame- that one practically danced in the snow. Totally controllable.
    ( I went decades with no accidents, and hold a very low opinion of Minnesota drivers just now.)

I will say that other than the infamous head gasket issues of 1995-2004 (which cost less to fix than a standard Volvo 4-wheel brake job), The Subarus seem pretty darn bulletproof.

*My folks liked mine enough that they bought two. Still have the 2003 LL Bean 3.0 H-6 wagon.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List