Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know anything about mattresses?

Anyone know anything about mattresses?

My wife and I are currently sleeping on a double pillowtop queen set and have been since we got married 9 years ago. The mattress and box spring were hand-me-downs from a family she babysat for, so it's probably 15-20 years old. I know all the mattress places say to replace every 8 years, yada, yada. Anyway, we took a little 2 night trip to a B&B and when we woke up both mornings we were pleasantly surprised to find that our usual morning aches were not present. That led us to consider getting a new mattress set. I've tried shopping both online and in stores (went to Mattress Firm, Original Mattress Factory, Sams, and a small local family-owned store). There is some great disparity regarding technology, and despite their's being "awesome" and all the other guys' "sucking" we pretty much end up at $800 at each place for a basic, nice-sleeping mattress.

I'd appreciate some myth dispelling and shared experiences from y'all, especially on the following points:

1) Original Mattress Factory's "real working boxsprings" and increased coil wire gauge vs Sealy and Serta's "individually pocketed coils." All the other retailers say OMF's stuff is decent, but overpriced for outdated technology, meanwhile OMF says the other guys' stuff is just marketing and "there's no way unsupported coils will last more than a few years without massive divots."

2) Our intention at this point is to move in the next 3-5 years and upgrade to a new King Size bedroom suite and keep this on-hand for guest room. With that in mind, we don't need the most awesome, mac-daddy mattress, but also want it to be good for us to sleep on for the next 3-5 years.

Thanks for any help!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I love my Serta fancy foam jobber. IKEA memory foam was solid and for a few hundred lasted 5 years easy. Could go ther route and toss it when ya move.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I have back issues and now shoulder issues. Regular "topped"mattresses kille d me. I am very sensitive. I can feel a crease in the sheets or a lump in the mattress. Went to Macys 4 years ago. Thought a good Sealy would fit my needs. Sent it back in2 days. I could FEEL the springs even through that quilted top. Tried Temperpedic--same thing can feel the tufts of foam.

THEN I tried sleep #. AMAZING difference. I have to adjust the hardness sometimes depending on my aches BUT I sleep better than before and have less pain in the AM-- so far no real issues. The company is great. They offer financing and the bed works fine

try them out--go in for 1 hour and try the different styles JMHO

good luck

rob

Don't know if it's doable for you under the circumstances but my wife and I switched from a good quality Simmons mattress we had for several years and switched to Tempur-Pedic a few years ago. The difference it made was remarkable both in quality of sleep and losing those nagging aches and pains that can be attributed to a less than supportive mattress.

I'd highly recommend at least trying one out if it's feasible for your situation.

I was in the same boat as OP. Pillow-top Beautyrest mattress full mattress for 12 years. Had small to significant morning back aches for years. We just recently decided to get a king. We wanted foam and knew a firmer mattress would help with back issues. So we tried a medium firm Casper and the smell (stink) of the mattress was too much for my wife although the mattress was nice and comfy. They have a great refund policy. Then we tried a Tuft and Needle mattress and it had an even worse smell that we both couldn't stand. Great refund policy. Now we have a Helix Sleep firm mattress and it is the bomb! No memory foam which I guess causes the off gassing. We've been using it for a couple of weeks and we both notice we sleep better and no morning aches.

That's my experience.

We switched to an adjustable air bed with a memory foam topper years ago after repeated problems with standard mattresses. Havent looked back.

We just got a Casper King Mattress off of Amazon and are pleased. It's firm, the buying and shipping experience were great, and unboxing was easy. Highly recommended.
    #RESIST

Next time I'm mattress shopping, sleep number is getting a long look. We have a Tempur Pedic now, and that thing is hot. We have to turn the temp down in the house to keep from roasting even with old thin blankets. The problem is we both deal with back pains from mild in my case to very bad in hers, and regular mattresses just about kill both of us anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Next time I'm mattress shopping, sleep number is getting a long look. We have a Tempur Pedic now, and that thing is hot. We have to turn the temp down in the house to keep from roasting even with old thin blankets. The problem is we both deal with back pains from mild in my case to very bad in hers, and regular mattresses just about kill both of us anymore.
    Latex mattresses are a cool alternative to memory foam, which is noted to be very, very warm to sleep on and often uncomfortable for people because of that.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Serta iComfort or whatever it's called is very cool.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List