Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quantico Marine Base Requires Registration of Personal Firearms by Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Indeed. My last base required :
    A) All Airmen on post complete an AF1314( might be a different form now) to legally keep guns on post.Unit Cmdr. & Supervisors signature required-hope you dont have any antis in your Chain of Command!The troops with higher ups from New Jersey had to store their guns in Cletus' trailer off post.

B)Only weapons allowed on base were offical Air Force arms, and registered POWs. In the case of the latter, stored in the trunk locked and cased. Ammunition was NOT allowed in the same case.

C) Anyone in possession of a POW had to proceed to the nearest gate with no stops en route. On return, same deal-proceed directly to the BDOC/Armory to turn the weapon back in, or to one's on base home.

Made my first year of frequent CCW extremely convoluted. When I outprocessed, the armory Airman had a filled 3" binder from all my firearm release signatures into and out of the cop shop.

Many Army bases had similar rules in the 70's. I never knew their purpose except that Army bases like rules. Lots of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Many Army bases had similar rules in the 70's. I never knew their purpose except that Army bases like rules. Lots of them.
    Yeah, keeping your POWs in the company arms room (required for barracks dwellers) was a PITA. However, I don't recall getting them out for the week-end as onerous; just typical military bureaucratic headaches.

No doubt things have changed drastically.

Getting the company armorer to go to the arms room on the weekend to give you your gun was very much a PITA; especially if he outranked you. Our armorers were very reluctant to do that for free unless the Top made them do it.

Getting the company armorer to go to the arms room on the weekend to give you your gun was very much a PITA; especially if he outranked you. Our armorers were very reluctant to do that for free unless the Top made them do it.
    The base armorer at my last post was a 24/7 manned office, as that was where the civilian contractors/Security Forces armed up and had roll call.

Which presented problems for me, as regulations mandated my non-mission essential behind had to wait if there were LEOs arming up. Ideally id just ask when shift changes were and plan around that-but the answer I got from SF was "Cant Tell Ya".

So id either walk in with my cased pistol and end up waiting 40 minutes while the security staff coon-fingered their M9s at the clearing barrel, or id repeat the same waiting to check my carry gun out. I learned a lot more then I bargained for about how casual LE can be about firearm safety.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I work on Fort Belvoir, about 20 miles from MCB Quantico, and I am pretty much not allowed to bring any weapon on base. Even residents of the base must register their guns, and are not supposed to store them in their residence.

http://www.belvoir.army.mil/news/new...gistration.asp

We have had some issues getting our mock weapons (completely inoperable, with red tips) onto the base.

So true.

I eventually got around that by becoming big buds with a fellow shooting enthusiast who lived off base, and keeping my stuff at his house.

My work takes me to various bases / camps in the US, including Quantico. (i'm a scum sucking pond dwelling military contractor).

I guess I'm stunned that something like this hasn't been in place previously. My guess would have been entering a facility with a POW by civilians using say a CAC card would be a buereaucratic nightmare.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Sorry for the edit here: Further down in the order there is a statement that visitors coming to Quantico for legitimate purposes are exempt from the registration order.

Quantico Marine Base is home to the Quantico Shooting Club, which is a privately owned shooting club which hosts monthly USPSA matches, monthly Steel matches, and has a membership which practices at the action bays and has access to the rifle ranges. This order will require every member and visitor to follow this order for any firearms they bring onto base for matches or for practice, and will require them to be checked and inspected, requires LOCKED boxes for their transportation on base and requires them to be checked-in and checked-out, among a whole list of other requirements.

This was a USPSA club that I enjoyed attending matches. It was usually four stages, tiny shoothouse, well managed, started at 9AM and was usually done by 1PM. EDIT: I have sent an email to the Match Director asking how this changes things for monthly matches. I will post here when I find out.

http://www.quantico.marines.mil/Port...ROTECHNICS.pdf
    Must be my reading comprehension, but I did NOT see anything in the attached that was remotely similar to what you posted. I will continue to shoot on Quantico.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    The Commander of each base can set their own policy. It depends a lot on the base.
    And how! About a year and a half ago on Benning, on route to pick up my son I declared a bunch of unloaded guns and the DoD guard asked "Unloaded?, no problem, have a nice visit." About six months later at Bragg with Soldiers running the gate it was a no go. But the Spec4 and his NCO were cool as hell gun guys and I sat out there at the gate with the bag shootin' the shit with them while Momma fetched Soldier son. In fact I was in no hurry to leave that conversation when my ride returned.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    I work on Fort Belvoir, about 20 miles from MCB Quantico, and I am pretty much not allowed to bring any weapon on base. Even residents of the base must register their guns, and are not supposed to store them in their residence.

http://www.belvoir.army.mil/news/new...gistration.asp

We have had some issues getting our mock weapons (completely inoperable, with red tips) onto the base.
    Asinine.
    #RESIST

User Tag List