Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 rounds of .38 or 7 rounds of 22 mag?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    I will type s l o w l y ... Maybe you can understand..... This is the 38spl used in a snubnose .. which is a barrel that is 2 inches or shorter ... The 38spl is a low pressure round even if its +P ...

So to increase velocity with the 38spl in a snubnose ( thats a a barrel 2 inhes or less) you have two choices.. Increase pressure or use a lighter or shorter bullet ... In order for a hollow point bullet to expand it has to be at a certain velocity..
    If a bullet expands it will not penetrate as much ... So if a bullet doesn't expand or doesn't expand enough it will penetrate deeper ... A hollowpoint bullet that doesn't expand it penetrates like a FMJ ...and cuases less tissue damage

A Wadcutter has sharp edges and a flat surface it doesn't just push tissue , it cuts it ... punches its way through..
    With a staggered load in a 38spl revolver ( which is the only cartridge/platform that I would consider its use)
    You have the first bullet that will either expand ( maybe with limited penetration) the next would be no expansion and deep penetration...

If you have found the 38spl magic bullet that will expand and penetrate , out of a 2inch barrel .. Please share that ammo to the masses ... I have not found it .. I like Remington 158gr LSWCHP but it has a rounded front and really doesn't seem to perform well at 38spl snubbie velocity...
    I understand perfectly. You think one of the cartridges in your stagger might not penetrate far enough. So you rely on the second cartridge to make up the shortcoming. Being condescending doesn't make you right.

Penetration matters more than expansion, and if you think the first round won't penetrate enough it's foolish to use it. You might not get to pull the trigger a second time, time is your most valuable commodity in a gun fight. It's not that I don't understand your logic, it's that your logic is flawed. In your worldview, you should just use the wadcutters x5, which isn't a bad idea. I'm mandated to carry hollowpoints, and will mention yet again the PDX-1 worked as advertised when I needed it to. I believe it's the same as the Ranger 130gr +P in different packaging. I don't know about the HST offering. I've yet to see it used in the real world nor have I looked for trustworthy testing. I'm quite happy with the PDX-1 for my LCR.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I made a suggestion.. I really don't need advice from people who feel they maybe attacked by a 60 lb gel block
    First, you don't get to be condescending and then whine how people talk to you.

You are willfully ignorant. Again, if you want to see how a bullet does in bone see the auto glass test.

And you really don't know the backgrounds of people you're responding to if you think we're concerned about attacks by gel blocks, or haven't used firearms in the real world for defense of ourselves and/or others.

And watch your tone and language.. You are acting like a punk ...

I made a suggestion.. I really don't need advice from people who feel they maybe attacked by a 60 lb gel block
    Bless your little heart.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Is it just me, or does this shit seem to come in waves? It's like we'll go a few months, and then the mods have to play whack-a-mole for a while until things settle down again?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    It depends if you believe in the dual nature of shit. Is it a particle or wave? It shows characteristics of both.

What is the periodicity of the 5 is enough argument?

Also no male will admit his chosen method of fighting is inadequate for reasons that might evoke some Freudian crap.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    It depends if you believe in the dual nature of shit. Is it a particle or wave? It shows characteristics of both.

What is the periodicity of the 5 is enough argument?

Also no male will admit his chosen method of fighting is inadequate for reasons that might evoke some Freudian crap.
    I’m pretty sure he means new members being uppity and disregarding the statements of SME and others “in the know” as opposed to the 5 is enough argument. Also I’m not sure anyone has stated “5 is enough” as in “it is OK to download your magazines because you only need x number of rounds.” BBI’s has basically said that in the civilian shootings he’s seen a J frame would have been enough to solve the problem but that doesn’t mean he’s advocating it over other options. Now I’ll shut up and stop putting words in his mouth.

Site Supporter
    There are two 5 is .... versions:

1. That's what circumstances allow or you don't want the inconvenience. You accept the factors involved with that carry gun. I'm down with that and have done it quite a few times with a J or G42. I do shoot them and train with them.

2. The other is 5 is enough, and only nut commandos carry more. If you argue, you are a nut commando. That's the one that bothers me because of the hubris and insults. I also think it feeds into gun ban rhetoric that is based on self-defense as primary. It devolves down to Two Barrel Joe Biden shooting in the air!

Hope I covered my totally correct view of all things 5.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    BBI’s has basically said that in the civilian shootings he’s seen a J frame would have been enough to solve the problem but that doesn’t mean he’s advocating it over other options. Now I’ll shut up and stop putting words in his mouth.
    That's it. Carry the most capable gun you can, know your personal threat level, etc. 5 is enough for most people in most contexts, but that's not the same as for all people in every context.

Although I'd note this thread originally wasn't really about is 5 enough, but is 5 .38/.357 better than more .22s in the same package. We've rabbit holed to where we are. My original entry on the matter was breaking bones can matter, and the .22 from a revolver isn't likely to break an adult's bone like a decent .38 can.

Site Supporter
    BBI, everyone, I typed for 20 minutes and deleted all of it. I just had to vent after reading this thread.

You all have displayed true character and maturity that apparently, I don't have. Kudos to all of you.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    So I see the time-worn argument that “gel isn’t people,” well, I consider the source.
    Aaarrgghh. Typos.

Damn the iPhone Typos!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List