Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: carbine light placement

Behold:

Mossie Midnight Mount - available from Brownells
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4...MIDNIGHT-MOUNT

Won't take many rounds through that to make the lens nearly worthless.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Yup, that concept has been around a while. Ned Christiansen has had the ILM out for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Behold:

Mossie Midnight Mount - available from Brownells
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4...MIDNIGHT-MOUNT
    #RESIST

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Tam, if the problem is the light pushing your hand farther back on the handguard than you would like, then you may want to try one of these extended light mounts from impact weapons components. I haven't tried one, but if stuck with a cabine length rail, it seems like a good option.
    I'm geeking pretty hard on that one, plus it would let me use one of my spare handhelds and move the TLR over to a pistol.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I'm geeking pretty hard on that one, plus it would let me use one of my spare handhelds and move the TLR over to a pistol.
    YMMV, but on a carbine I also much prefer the switching of Surefire's classic lights and the Scout to any of the pistol lights. I've tried to like the X300 at 12 o'clock because I think it makes for a very "clean" mounting solution, but the switching is very bothersome for me when trying to use the momentary function while shooting fast.

I like the 12:00 X300/TLR-1 because not only can I access it my 4'10" wife can also manipulate it without issue as well. I have a few other carbines that have 1:30 mounted lights with tailcap switches that she cannot access easily. Those have G2's mounted.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    I run a TLR-1 at 3 O'clock on a Troy tube. I have it placed so I can butterfly the switch with my middle and ring finger naturally in my natural grip location.

Kyle Defoor first turned me on to this during a class, and he wrote a blog post about the concept here
    http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/07/bu...round-gun.html

For a long time I tried just mimicking other guys set ups, or changing pices of gear and then trying to learn how to work with them. The notion of making my gear work with ME, and setting up accessories (or anything really) for my style, body type, ect really resonated .
    I am glad I am not the only one.

I use a very similar setup, but I use an X300.

I did the Classic P series at 11:00 with a Vltor scout mount and a MI FSB mount for about a year but it weighed more than I wanted it to and I would occasionaly have light AD's although I really liked the setup. (Like blinding myself when pulling a gun out of the safe.)

I was thinking about going clicky tail cap to fix the AD's but I really didn't like the weight of the system so I thought I would give something else a try based on some recommendations.

I thought I would try a DD Omega rail with a X300 mounted and try moving it around. I figured if I didn't like it I could sell the DD and put the X300 on my G19.

3:00 wound up being the most comfortable/repeatable position for me and it REALLY lightened up the forend.

I figured I was the only one.

Here's another one that attaches to the front sight block:

http://www.elzetta.com/webpages/zfh1500.htm

I have one on my AR, and it's held up to sustained rapid fire. It holds my Surefire G2 nicely, and it included some shims for smaller lights. Activation is simple... push forward with your support hand against the front sling swivel. If you don't have a front sling swivel, install the light further back in the mount and push the button with your hand.

I don't have a railed hand guard on my AR, and don't really need one. The only thing I wanted to add was a light, so this setup works great and doesn't add a lot of weight or change the balance of the carbine.
    Last edited by phidelta308; 07-06-2012 at 03:48 AM. Reason: forgot to add

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    It's what I would buy in your position if I was committed to the TLR-1 as my light.

My MI mount is currently the light mount on my carbine so I shan't be selling it anytime soon, I'm afraid:

Name:  mctar01.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  20.9 KB

I have the 04 model and in combo with a VLTOR mount and a G2 light (with LED lamp element) it's a very efficient package. Like Josh, I prefer the switching on the G2 to the X200/X300 style switching for carbine work as I can operate it with just the base of my thumb without interfering with my usual grip. I could get used to an X300 if I wanted to, but I don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    It's what I would buy in your position if I was committed to the TLR-1 as my light.

My MI mount is currently the light mount on my carbine so I shan't be selling it anytime soon, I'm afraid:

Name:  mctar01.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  20.9 KB

I have the 04 model and in combo with a VLTOR mount and a G2 light (with LED lamp element) it's a very efficient package. Like Josh, I prefer the switching on the G2 to the X200/X300 style switching for carbine work as I can operate it with just the base of my thumb without interfering with my usual grip. I could get used to an X300 if I wanted to, but I don't want to.
    That's what I use on a BCM lightweight middie with fixed FSB. TLR-3 at 9:00. Tried the same setup with a G2 at 3:00 on advice of a more experienced shooter who does the MagPul Dynamics top over grasp but I don't care for that myself and prefer the 9:00 position.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List