Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Old Texas LEO pic...

This is fascinating to me. I have a 1934 Browning Auto-5 that is going to get the Clyde Barrow treatment, and become a whippit shotgun.

Name:  browning-auto-5.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  67.7 KB

I need to do more research on how to correctly model it after those shotguns. I want to make sure I have the right barrel specs before submitting the Form 1.

I have read that Clyde used some sort of shoulder rig to carry it under his coat? If so, I'd love to recreate that as well.

Be a neat leatherwork project for Jim Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Totally different times.
    Smoking in the car...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    {shudder} I don’t think chaps have ever gone with white pumps.
    It was after Memorial Day and before Labor Day apparently.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    The Astrodome broke ground with Colt 45s instead of Shovels... time were different. First, there was the Houston Buffalos. Then they became the Houston Colt 45s... but a lawsuit from Colt came along, and then the Houston Astros were born.

When Bonnie and Clyde was filmed in 1966, the production company needed extras. And they wanted the extras to look like they knew how to use a gun. So the extras were all Dallas PD and the members of the Dallas Gun and Rod club. As luck would have it, many gun club member had period correct firearms to provide!

In 1928, the first US Border Patrol Station opened in Marfa Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To clarify, that was the first station in Marfa, not the first USBP station.

Also. I’m fairly certain that is Charles Askins seated on the left end.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    This is fascinating to me. I have a 1934 Browning Auto-5 that is going to get the Clyde Barrow treatment, and become a whippit shotgun.

I need to do more research on how to correctly model it after those shotguns. I want to make sure I have the right barrel specs before submitting the Form 1.

I have read that Clyde used some sort of shoulder rig to carry it under his coat? If so, I'd love to recreate that as well.

Be a neat leatherwork project for Jim Ryan.
    http://www.coltforum.com/forums/phot...#/topics/30875
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    In the pics above, where the folks are on a dirt road shooting up at something with shotguns..What are they shooting at? Also the pic above that of the gal standing in a barn yard..she's wearing heels? Hope she dosen't hit any "land mines"..LOL.. I love looking at old pics like these, thanks for posting them...
    The folks on that dirt road are probably shooting at pheasants. Maybe ducks or doves - birds flying overhead.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    The folks on that dirt road are probably shooting at pheasants. Maybe ducks or doves - birds flying overhead.
    My guess is doves. Hard to see what birds the kids have in their hands, but the angle they are shooting at looks right. (I've never dove hunted, but I've been in the fields when people are doing it -- they tend to be straight up, or at a higher angle rather than crossing or flying away, and the shooting can be high volume).
    Last edited by idahojess; 07-10-2018 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post

That sample has some beautiful wood!

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Looks like a Remington Model 11.
    There was also the same gun as the Savage 720. Savage also made the Auto 5 clones in that era. During and just prior to WWII the Government Agency called Defense Supplies Corporation or DSC bought up every Savage 720, Remington 11, Stevens 520 and 620 they could lay hands on, new or used, and inspected (stamped an ordinance bomb) them and put them in the government inventory for the war effort. Most of those did not go overseas, but were relegated to civilian LE, shore patrols, prison guards, mail and government facility guards, and distributed to local or state LE agencies.

This was over at “Traces of Texas” of Facebook. The caption said it was a Texas Ranger in 1946. I was drawn in by the guns and gear. My how gear has changed. No seat belts. No shotgun rack. Open / exposed trigger guard. No retention on the holster. His red light would hang from a hook in the center of the windshield, but it was stored down by the radio.

Totally different times.

Note the Condition 1, 1911, way back in 1946 apparently.

User Tag List