Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Ananth View Post
    Raytheon is one of the bigger employers around Tucson. Aviation jobs as well. Though if it wasn't for Davis-Monthan AFB, the city might be bankrupt.

Tucson is also the property crime (and crime in general) capital of the state. However, within 20 miles either direction are three communities that have among the lowest crime rates in AZ, which are Vail, Sahuarita, and Oro Valley.
    From a friend who goes there, I hear the VA facility in Tuscon is excellent.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post

The Phoenix Metro area has a lot to like, but stay away from any areas with streets named for past Presidents of the US.
    Not really that true anymore. Now the downtown area and the President streets have some of the best places to live. The old neighborhoods like Coronado and Willo are revitalized with higher income people living there, and the surrounding areas are packed with some of the best restaurants and bars/pub/hangouts around. A lot of super high priced fancy apartment and townhouse complexes have been built in the general area. Still some sketchy transients in the area, but not what it used to be. The main thing is that the expansion/revitalization is not slowing down. It is actually increasing and slowly moving outwards north and east (now the 20th St and Thomas area is the border for new hotness and young high income couples buying up homes).
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I'm following this thread with interest. Once the business stuff gets a little more off the ground, I'd like to move out of NM and AZ is currently on the top of the list.

I have no interest in food, shopping, or jobs -- I just want somewhere out in the country away from people, traffic, crime and noise, but not so far away that UPS won't deliver. Ideally I'd like to be able to shoot on my own property and have a VA medical center relatively close by. My son and spent a few days in Prescott last summer on our way back from CA and it seemed nice.

I would really look to Payson over Prescott. Weather is even better (it is rare to get 100 degree days, and not much snow in the winter), scenery is much nicer, and population is even lower than Prescott area, so crime is lesser too. But you still have benefits of being in a real city like UPS. You could even live out a bit into an area like Strawberry, or Christopher Creek (my childhood summer hangout). Not sure about the VA, but I bet there is one, because traditionally, that area has been a popular place for people to retire to, and I know that includes plenty of vets.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Okay take this with a grain of salt from a pretty much life long resident of the Valley of the Sun resident and an ASU graduate there is no way I’d live in the Dirty T aka Tucson. Yes there’s nice areas but there’s one Interstate skirting the west and south side. My in laws used to live on the east side and it was at a 30 minute drive from the freeway to their home. The streets were usually in ill repair and the traffic was horrible. The Tucson city council is pretty anti second amendment and Pima County votes red. Tucson is probably the most liberal city in Arizona. I think the last time I was in the Tucson area was driving to Tombstone. All that being said there are some amazing areas to visit in southern Arizona. Weather wise Tucson is cooler than the Phoenix metro area.

Flagstaff will be hard to find housing. You don’t get a lot for your money and it’s expensive to live. Flagstaff is another red zone in Arizona. Californication is well under way. Prescott (Press kit)is a great town. I know several people up there and my folks had a cabin in the area. It’s very gun friendly and I know a couple nice shooting spots up there. Payson would be another nice spot. The Mogollon Rim (Muggy own) is a beautiful area.

If the street in Phoenix is named Van Buren I wouldn’t live anywhere near it. The East Valley is Gilbert, Tempe, Chandler, Mesa, and Apache Junction. I’d stay out of AJ as it’s overrun with tweekers. If you know the MHI series by Larry Correia elves would live in AJ.

Good luck with the move. Please PM me if you have any specific questions you don’t want to post.
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 01-03-2018 at 02:41 PM.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Not really that true anymore. Now the downtown area and the President streets have some of the best places to live. The old neighborhoods like Coronado and Willo are revitalized with higher income people living there, and the surrounding areas are packed with some of the best restaurants and bars/pub/hangouts around. A lot of super high priced fancy apartment and townhouse complexes have been built in the general area. Still some sketchy transients in the area, but not what it used to be. The main thing is that the expansion/revitalization is not slowing down. It is actually increasing and slowly moving outwards north and east (now the 20th St and Thomas area is the border for new hotness and young high income couples buying up homes).
    Good to know. It just shows how long it has been since I have been through those neighborhoods. I think the last time I was in the President streets area was around 2006. I should have expected it to be different after so many years.
    Last edited by Corey; 01-03-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Spelling, I can do it better than my phone can

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Thanks for the responses! Tucson itself is not set in stone but population wise is familiar to what I'm used to, Phoenix just seems big and scary to me.

The Pima Air Museum IS excellent, definitely check it out if you're in the area again

I have no clue. The entirety of my civilian job experience is in guns, which is not great if you like making decent money or having job security (in OR at least). I've got a B.S. in math but I don't know how far that'll get me.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichY View Post
    I live in Arizona and would not consider living in Phoenix and Tucson. Tucson is an interesting city, as it has some history, and great air museum, and as mentioned earlier, the east side is beautiful. It's also close to the border so....

Phoenix is hot in the summer, as in consistently over 100. I was there last summer for my weekly allergy shots when it was 120 degrees. Low humidity helps with tolerating the heat, but 120 is hot, no matter how you slice it. If you want a good job, the Phoenix Metropolitan Area (PMA) is the only place to consider. Motorola is in Mesa, State Farm has an absolutely huge complex in Phoenix, and there are a lot of other well known companies there too. I-17 goes right through Phoenix and it seems everyone is texting or doing something stupid while driving through there, because I have had more close calls with nearly getting sideswiped at 70 MPH or faster in that area over the last year than the rest of my driving years combined! To me, PMA offers a lot in regards to a host of excellent restaurants of about any variety you can imagine, and the shopping is terrific. Being a 2A friendly state, there are many companies here that either make firearms (Ruger in Prescott), or make parts, coatings, etc. for them (Robar, HBI, CZ Custom, etc. There are also multiple places to take courses. Mike Pannone has classes down in Casa Grande, and of course, Gunsite is across the valley from us. There are several other trainers here in the Prescott/Prescott Valley area. It's not as pretty here as the rest of the state, and it's hard to find family doctors. I have to go weekly to Phoenix for allergy shots since there are no allergy doctors in the area. However, our weather here is more moderate. It's been in the mid 60's through the holidays, and even reached 70 one day. It gets in the 90's in the summer, and even a few days in the 100's, but nothing like Tucson and Phoenix. We get milder winters here than in Flagstaff, so from a weather standpoint, I think this area is ideal. Having said that, jobs here are scarce unless you are a medical doctor or the like. It's not the prettiest part of the state by any means, but it is centrally located making it easy to go about anywhere within the state, or even Utah and California. We sold 15 acres with a beautiful view (and even a number of petroglyphs) near Abiquiu, New Mexico to live here and I do not regret it at all. What I do not like about cities - and I grew up in a large metropolitan area, is the constant hum. Tucson and Phoenix, even at 2am in the morning, have a constant buzz, like a giant electric motor. Where we live is outside Prescott Valley city limits and I can walk to Prescott National Forest from my house. What I truly love about it is the silence at night! It is incredibly quiet, and if you are interested in astronomy, this is a terrific area, because it is so dark at night. We can actually see satellites going over at night and you can look at spaceweather.com and it will tell you what the satellite is you are seeing. We have antelope in our yard at certain times of the year, and mule deer come in at night and eat my neighbors fruit trees. Of course, we have 6 or 7 of the 13 varieties of rattlesnakes in Arizona here in Yavapai county, and a (verified) mohave rattler bit two of my neighbors dogs, one of which subsequently died from the tissue destruction. The mohave's here have type A venom, and farther south they have type B venom. Type A is more potent, as it is both hemotoxic and neurotoxic. However, we rarely ever see rattlesnakes, unless we go out at night in the summer and actually look for them. Oh, rattlers don't attack people either! Generally they will rattle (though not always), will watch you, and then they do their best to get away from you. During the day in the summer it's too hot for them, so they stay hidden. Most around here are crepuscular, so that gives you an indication when to look for them. We have issues with rodents all over the state, so rattlers and every other snake are actually good to have around. You just learn how to live with them -- and the bark scorpions, brown and black widows, blister beetles, and vegetation that always seems to stick you. Having said all of that, I wouldn't trade living here for any other place I've been. People are generally friendly and laid back. We lack in restaurants and shopping here, but Phoenix is only and hour and a half away. That reminds me! No one here says someplace is x amount of miles away. Miles are deceiving due to the changing terrain If you ask how far away something is, you will be told in hours/minutes, Our county is bigger than Delaware. Maricopa County (Phoenix Metropolitan Area) is bigger than Yavapai! Coming from the east, it's really nice to have the wide open spaces and constantly changing landscape. One final thing. In this part of Arizona the crime rate is very low. Compared to New Mexico and California, the whole state is low!

If you have any additional questions, please ask. If I don't have an answer, I'll know someone who does!
    Quote Originally Posted by RichY View Post
    Cool! We should meet up sometime! Maybe at Bucky O'Neill's!
    Definitely!

I guess I should be looking more in the phoenix area for jobs but my biggest concerns are 1) rent prices and 2) traffic. when I've been in tucson traffic was nowhere near as bad as portland and rent is cheaper, I assume cheaper than phoenix too. I like the weather down south more too, and I highly doubt tucson is as blue as portland... But I'll have to check out the phx area it looks like, given my cheap/not shitty traffic preferences, is there anywhere up there that might fit the bill? Northern AZ is beautiful but too far of a drive from dad who is near Sahuarita.

Also how important is it to speak spanish?
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    You might be able to avoid a crappy commute in an area that is full of crappy commutes. I worked in the LA area for 15 years and only for brief periods did I have a bad commute. It takes working and living in the right places.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I guess I should be looking more in the phoenix area for jobs but my biggest concerns are 1) rent prices and 2) traffic. when I've been in tucson traffic was nowhere near as bad as portland and rent is cheaper, I assume cheaper than phoenix too. I like the weather down south more too, and I highly doubt tucson is as blue as portland... But I'll have to check out the phx area it looks like, given my cheap/not shitty traffic preferences, is there anywhere up there that might fit the bill? Northern AZ is beautiful but too far of a drive from dad who is near Sahuarita.

You should consider the east valley which consists of the cities of Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe and Apache Junction (don't live in AJ). It has a lot of newer industries (Intel, Banner health, banking, Boeing, AA, etc) and it is a nice place to live. Driving from there into Phoenix/Scottsdale on the weekends is easy. Not important to speak Spanish (esp if you live in the east valley).

The crappiness of the commute in the Tucson area is in direct correlation to how far you have to drive during peak commute time. As mentioned earlier, city leadership has been backward in regard to infrastructure planning for population increases and road maintenance. There's nothing in Tucson like the 101, 202, or 303 loop projects Phoenix planned and implemented years ago - Tucson seems to think traffic density will magically not increase as the population does.

However, if where you live and work are in certain areas away from the road mobs, and/or your shift doesn't place you on the road at the same time as the rest of the herd, commute can be not bad at all.

User Tag List