Page 34 of 242 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Site Supporter
    I've fallen for Manhattans. And Luxardo cherries.
    Been a long time since I mixed bourbon/rye with anything other than some ice. Vermouth is pretty revolting by itself, so, I never would have thought I'd like it mixed with good liquor. Rye definitely makes the better Manhattan.

The biggest surprise was me spending $17 on a jar of cherries.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    I'm currently sipping on some Jameson Black Barrel. Probably my favorite whiskey.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I've fallen for Manhattans. And Luxardo cherries.
    Been a long time since I mixed bourbon/rye with anything other than some ice. Vermouth is pretty revolting by itself, so, I never would have thought I'd like it mixed with good liquor. Rye definitely makes the better Manhattan.

The biggest surprise was me spending $17 on a jar of cherries.
    Quality Vermouth is the key.

My favorite Vermouth, because it is not too sweet is Carpano Antica. Follow the 2-1-2 recipe (Manhattan Area Code) it is a perfect drink every time. For a mix up instead of using Angostura Bitters if you can find some Cardamon Bitters it is a more herbal tone.

Not to derail the bourbon thread, but pertinent if you like Manhattans is a brandy Manhattan. If you have a will try try outside of the box this is one of the best cask brandy's ever....
    https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1230173
    2 parts Copper & Kings, 1 part Carpano Antica and 2 shakes of chocolate bitters. (yes chocolate) @ 120 ++ proof, a couple of those and you will be fine.

Site Supporter
    @JFK thanks for the tip on Cardamom bitters. Tried some last night. Enjoyed!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

@SeriousStudent was kind enough to send me a fresh bottle of Herman Marshall whiskey.

Was also gifted recently a bottle of Glenfiddich and a bottle of Jameson.

Guess I've got some drinking to do...

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    @SeriousStudent was kind enough to send me a fresh bottle of Herman Marshall whiskey.

Was also gifted recently a bottle of Glenfiddich and a bottle of Jameson.

Guess I've got some drinking to do...
    Can't let you folks up there on the tundra freeze during them harsh winters.

Tried this the other night - was looking for something different. Will have it again - bet it would make for a great Manhattan (despite being from a Brooklyn distillery ).

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Tried this the other night - was looking for something different. Will have it again - bet it would make for a great Manhattan (despite being from a Brooklyn distillery ).

I've loved everything from Widow Jane I've tried. Their rye and their bourbon. Their bourbon here is mid $60's and I've heard they have higher end models way over that. I really like them though.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    How much was it? At the DC Costco it was pretty reasonable, like 30 some bucks.
    It's $47 at my Costco and $55 at the liquor store now.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Ok, so I was able to try a measure of Bulleit Bourbon the other day:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulleit_Bourbon

I did not like it; it seemed somewhat rough and reminded me of the peaty Single Malts I don’t like.

Wiki says it has relatively high Rye content. Should I be looking for one with less Rye given how this one tasted?

User Tag List