Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NY1 Trigger Spring, Without the Spring...

Quote Originally Posted by TCz View Post
    Try Grainger or McMaster-Carr for springs.
    I had a couple likely culprits picked out at McMaster and i'll be danged if I didn't forget to save/mark them...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    As soon as my NY1 springs show up, I'll put it on Dad's Dvorak triggerscan rig.

-C
    I assume you'll be using it in conjuction with a (-) connector?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

You might want to pick out a bunch and try them, but here's a couple that I think may work.

Based off of very rough measurements of the NY1 spring, the NY1 should have a spring rate of 16-17 lbs/in, so we're looking for spring rates of less than that.

These could be possibles:
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Com...n-Spring-1NCJ1
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Com...n-Spring-1NCG7
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Com...n-Spring-1NCK5

Ranked from weakest to strongest. The middle one is likely your best bet. I'm sure you could find equivalents on McMaster, if you prefer.
    All the world's a lathe.

Equation for calculating spring constant:

http://www.engineersedge.com/spring_comp_calc_k.htm

Also, the NY1 spring that I have (the new one, I haven't measured the one in my gun) is about 0.42" long. Likely any springs you find will have to be trimmed, except maybe the middle one above, which is .5". Trimming will remove the closed and ground end of the spring, which could make it easier for the spring to slip off of the bosses on the NY1 plastic piece.
    All the world's a lathe.

Have you considered cutting a coil or two? The spring itself has to fit over a "nipple" in the base of the plastic frame.

Try Century Spring for a huge selection of springs.

$50 minimum order though.

Bumping this one from the dead. Anyone have long term experience running without the coil spring? It really does feel like a nice sweet spot without it. It doesn't seem like the plastic would have any different range of motion, so in theory, there should be no real ill effects.

Despite loving the feel, i couldn't bring myself to trust it without it.

I did pick up a reduced strength spring to replace it with, and have run with that for quite a while.

Worse case scenario, run without the spring and just swap it on an aggressive schedule.
    --Josh

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Despite loving the feel, i couldn't bring myself to trust it without it.

I did pick up a reduced strength spring to replace it with, and have run with that for quite a while.

Worse case scenario, run without the spring and just swap it on an aggressive schedule.
    Where did you purchase it and what strength did you go with, if I may ask?

I have the ny-1 without the spring and a minus connector in a G19 but I only have around 1000 rounds through that set up. I have to say that I also think that this trigger set up would be my favorite for a carry gun if not for the durability concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Where did you purchase it and what strength did you go with, if I may ask?

I have the ny-1 without the spring and a minus connector in a G19 but I only have around 1000 rounds through that set up. I have to say that I also think that this trigger set up would be my favorite for a carry gun if not for the durability concerns.
    I got them via McMaster-Carr, and bought several "almost" candidates to try, but I'll have to go dig them out to get part numbers. I cant find any record of the order in my email archive to reference.
    --Josh

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I got them via McMaster-Carr, and bought several "almost" candidates to try, but I'll have to go dig them out to get part numbers. I cant find any record of the order in my email archive to reference.
    Thank you for the info. I read this thread already but I can't recall, did anyone state what spring weight rating the OEM spring has? Do you remember what weight you purchased without digging for the info? Thanks again.

User Tag List