Page 65 of 346 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

As others have already stated, stock magazines with quality ammunition will determine reliability. I think it's hardly fair to call a gun unreliable because it doesn't run with aluminum cased ammo and aftermarket magazines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I'm starting to feel like my Gen5 is the only one in the country that isn't perfectly reliable. I've had three malfunctions in 667 rounds (Round 3 was a failure to feed, round 39X was a failure to fire, and round 600 was a failure to eject). All three of the malfunctions occurred when using Blazer Aluminum 115gr with Magpul 17rd magazines. I'm only going to use OEM Glock magazines for the next thousand or so rounds to see if it's the mags causing the issues. It's pretty damn disappointing at this point considering how much I like everything else about the gun. It's accurate. It has one of the best trigger's I've ever felt on a Glock using only OEM parts. The finish on the slide seems impervious to holster wear. I'm a big fan of the slightly flared magwell. The gun feels slightly better to me without the finger grooves but not enough to really prefer one design over the other. I just wish mine worked the way everyone else's seems to work.
    Clean/lube/use OEM Glock magazines and quality ammunition and let us know if it fails.

I put ~200 more rounds through the Gen 5 19 at the farm today. It was a mix of Speer Lawman 147 grain and MBI remanufactured 124 grain. I was shooting steel at 10 yards and 15 yards. I had my timer with me so I had a chance to measure some performance.

I also had my regular carry Gen 4 19 with me and I put ~225 rounds through it.

All magazines were Glock factory G19 and G17 magazines which included 3 Gen 5 G19 magazines.

A few observations:

* No malfunctions with the Gen 5.

* No problems with my pinky and the Gen 5 cutout.

* The Gen 5 will still not pass the 10-8 extractor test.

* It feels like the Gen 5 squirms a more in my hand than my Gen 4. On my Gen 4 the sights track vertical whereas the Gen 5 seems to move vertical and to the right.

* This is probably completely in my imagination but the Gen 5 seems to slightly recoil more than my Gen 4.

* I ran some simple draw from AWIB concealment two shots on the same target drills. My splits with the Gen 5 were consistently 0.10 slower than the Gen 4. I assume this is due to the gun moving more in my hand but it could be due to the difference in sights (factory Ameriglo BOLD on the Gen 5 and Fiberoptic front/blacked out rear on the Gen 4)

*The Gen 5 first shot was 0.20 - 0.30 slower than the Gen 4. I attribute this to the holster being more snug with the Gen 5.

*Slow fire accuracy between the two guns was so similar as to not notice a difference. However, speeding things up I had much fewer misses with the Gen 4. Once again I assume it was due the gun moving more in my hand. I hope to go to the indoor range in the next week and see how the two compare on paper.

I also put a few rounds through my Gen 4 G17 and I was once again reminded that I much prefer the G19....but I can't really explain why.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Interesting that it's occurred with the magpul magazines. I don't think I've read of any other issues with non-Glock mags. I'm interested in reading what happens with the OEM mags and your Gen 5.
    I've heard of issues with magpul glock magazine and steel cased wolf and brown bear. The copper washed stuff appears to do better. The issue appears to be that the friction of steel cases is higher than brass, causing the magazine function to slow down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winchester steel cases slowed my Pmag 21s down so much I got 7 or 8 in the magazine and it bound up. I pulled the base plates off and tapped on the side of the mag and dumped the rounds out the bottom. Tried it a few times with two mags and had the same result most every time.

Same ammo was 100% through Glock mags.

Put a mix of Remington, Blazer Brass, WWB and a box of Gold Dot +P 124 through my G19. All fed fine and unsurprisingly the GD grouped best. The slide release seems to protrude ever-so-slightly more than my G2 or G4 and I had several failures to lock back on an empty mag. Had that issue with a couple guns with extended may releases and the issue went away with installation of a standard slide release.

I do like the trigger on this gun a great deal and the slight magwell flair seems to lock in my grip. I think it's a keeper!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    * It feels like the Gen 5 squirms a more in my hand than my Gen 4. On my Gen 4 the sights track vertical whereas the Gen 5 seems to move vertical and to the right.

* This is probably completely in my imagination but the Gen 5 seems to slightly recoil more than my Gen 4.

* I ran some simple draw from AWIB concealment two shots on the same target drills. My splits with the Gen 5 were consistently 0.10 slower than the Gen 4. I assume this is due to the gun moving more in my hand but it could be due to the difference in sights (factory Ameriglo BOLD on the Gen 5 and Fiberoptic front/blacked out rear on the Gen 4)

*The Gen 5 first shot was 0.20 - 0.30 slower than the Gen 4. I attribute this to the holster being more snug with the Gen 5.

*Slow fire accuracy between the two guns was so similar as to not notice a difference. However, speeding things up I had much fewer misses with the Gen 4. Once again I assume it was due the gun moving more in my hand. I hope to go to the indoor range in the next week and see how the two compare on paper.

I also put a few rounds through my Gen 4 G17 and I was once again reminded that I much prefer the G19....but I can't really explain why.
    IF the finger groves fit your hand, they can be very effective in controlling recoil, in my experience / observation. It's the "IF" part that makes them so controversial.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Me too.

Is Blazer 115 Ammunition normally gtg in a Glock?
    I've not had one issue with Blazer 115 thru the 19.5
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Blazer 115gr aluminum case has been problematic in a series of 3rd Gen Glock 19s in my experience. Seems to be on the margin of the performance envelope.

The real issue comes when pairing this with the Pmags. Those have been quite good with other ammo, but the combination of the ammo and mag creates multiple malfunctions in otherwise very well validated pistols (well north of 50k rounds each).

On one particular session, had the old NYPD "phase 3" malfunctions twice in same magazine. (Thankfully reducible without need for tools, in part because the soft aluminum case mouth deformed rather easily upon application of pressure.)

Not sure why this happens to be such a poor combo, but steer clear.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    I've not had one issue with Blazer 115 thru the 19.5
    1560 rounds of it thru a new G 17.5 and 17 round OEM mags, w/o issue.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

User Tag List