Thread: Full length frame rails? SIG 226 vs Beretta 92

Full length frame rails? SIG 226 vs Beretta 92

I recently purchased a SIG P226 to partner my Beretta 92A1. Love the new SIG but not more than 92. My particular 92A1 with Walnut grips is best looking pistol I've seen. They are both accurate and reliable. I noticed the SIG has full length frame rails and then noticed the Beretta does not. I have read the history of both pistols Design origin as I like the history of how designs evolve. The full length sounds like a good idea but the Beretta is time tested. For you semi auto experts (I just started semi auto pistols this year), any ideas? Is there an advantage to either? They both are time tested, accurate and reliable.

I don't think it matters much. You just don't hear about 'em cracking. The finish wears off.

Lots of pistols don't have full length rails and keep on ticking. Don't worry about it.

The polymer frame crowd hasn't let the lack of full frame rails stop them. Wilson Combat recently noted "Removal of the frame rails around the mag opening to further reduce friction and promote function in adverse shooting environments" was part of their Enhanced Reliability System for the EDC X9 and "the EDC X9’s X-Frame reduced rail design and Enhanced Reliability System is not as lubrication dependent as a typical 1911-style pistol".

The frame rail length doesn't cross my mind when considering handguns.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I don't think is makes a whole lot of difference. SIG's do have a good reputation for accuracy, and some have pointed to the full length rails as one reason. I don't know.

Of course SIG's also have a reputation as "lube hogs" and possibly also due to the full rails. If you haven't seen the "Lubrication of Sig Sauer pistol rails"

https://grayguns.com/lubrication-of-...-pistol-rails/

Site Supporter

Full length frame rails? SIG 226 vs Beretta 92

The only time it's even been 'slightly' noticed by me is when the slide is inside of the frame on full rails on the frame AND slide (i.e. P210, CZ variants without a profiled muzzle).

Even then, while very accurate, the P22x series had more to offer for me that made them more accurate in MY hands (which isn't saying too much, but I do ring steel at 200 yards with consistency out of my P226). I'd say if anything, finding a good ammo load for that gun will matter far more than the rail length.

The 226/228 are time tested as well as military issue- just not in the same numbers as Beretta (price point is higher per unit).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jeep45238; 08-28-2017 at 07:05 AM.

More rails, means more to lube.

User Tag List