Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New gun, new trigger, or keep fighting the good fight?

A lot of good advice has already been dropped in this thread, but I will add this:

I find it very hard to take multiple different pistols to the range on the same day, shoot them all back to back, and shoot a Glock to my normal level because it has such a different trigger and ergonomic feel. Glocks tend to be easier to shoot and maintain proficiency with if you shoot them exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    What's keeping you carrying the G19?
    Best balance of carryability, shootability, capacity and reliability I've found. I also like the Glock as a system (parts, mags, etc).

I do like the p320c a whole lot though, and if I knew I was very likely to need to defend myself or my family, I would carry it more often.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I thought I'd maybe elaborate on my earlier posts.

I think you'll find that most people that carry guns go through something like this in their shooting "career". Shortly after starting shooting IDPA in the early 2000s (can't recall exact year), which I was doing originally with my carry Glock 19, I shot a match with with my friend's Sig P228 and was amazed at how much better I shot the SA shots with the gun. This led to a multi-year, and multi-thousands-of-dollars, experiment with the 1911 (because hey, it was the SA trigger on the Sig that made all the difference, right?) only to eventually come back to the Glock for all of the other reasons, AND because I ultimately figured out that while I shot the 1911 more accurately at times it wasn't enough so that it really mattered and it certainly didn't justify all of the other negatives (some of which were unique to the 1911, some of which just had to do with the Glock being the only real choice). Years later I forgot all those lessons and started down the CZ rabbit hole for USPSA, but thankfully eventually had the re-epiphany and pulled up just in time.

I say all of this to say that the advice you're getting from many of us if from a "yeah, I went down that road, don't bother" point of view. Of course, it's also those hard-learned lessons that stick the best. And sometimes even those lessons need refreshing, as in my CZ deviation.

Banned
    Many folks believe there is a "perfect" handgun out there that will address and solve their shooting deficiencies. The lesson most of us learn is that our time chasing after that "perfect" handgun is much better spent on perfecting our shooting form and techniques (which are applicable to any weapon platform or handgun). Some people do not learn that lesson and post questions like the OP and become frustrated when he is told it is not arrow, but the Indian. I've seen this play out hundreds of times over many gun forums. I don't know why I bother to try to address the questions....but, hey, it is a gun forum.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

I think you'll find that most people that carry guns go through something like this in their shooting "career". Shortly after starting shooting IDPA in the early 2000s (can't recall exact year), which I was doing originally with my carry Glock 19, I shot a match with with my friend's Sig P228 and was amazed at how much better I shot the SA shots with the gun. This led to a multi-year, and multi-thousands-of-dollars, experiment with the 1911 (because hey, it was the SA trigger on the Sig that made all the difference, right?) only to eventually come back to the Glock for all of the other reasons, AND because I ultimately figured out that while I shot the 1911 more accurately at times it wasn't enough so that it really mattered and it certainly didn't justify all of the other negatives (some of which were unique to the 1911, some of which just had to do with the Glock being the only real choice). Years later I forgot all those lessons and started down the CZ rabbit hole for USPSA, but thankfully eventually had the re-epiphany and pulled up just in time.

I say all of this to say that the advice you're getting from many of us if from a "yeah, I went down that road, don't bother" point of view. Of course, it's also those hard-learned lessons that stick the best. And sometimes even those lessons need refreshing, as in my CZ deviation.
    It's stuff like that which brings us back to reality on such things and I certainly appreciate it. I still think I'm going to spend at least a little bit of time putting some practice and rounds through the SP2022 and seeing what I can do with it while still carrying my G19. Sometimes you just have to break up the monotony a little bit.

Looking back on it now I think part of what I experienced is a mental thing and kind of speaks to what Gio brought up. The SIG ergos and trigger have always worked and worked well and naturally for me. Part of my hangup sometimes with Glocks is the damn trigger break and my insatiable need to concentrate solely on it when I have a not so great day. When I start doing that, shots go left and frustration sets in. It's something I need to work on and get over. Glock knuckle is a thing too though. So maybe I just need to bust out the dremel, make a change to the trigger guard, and polish some internals or something.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Site Supporter

This is all fine, practical advice but it's still true that the Glock is not the only answer for everyone. Sometimes a different choice really IS the right option depending on the person. Experimenting is the only way to determine that, but the experiment should make sense within the context of the person's needs, habits, etc... I've shot a Glock 17 enough to know that I like it. But I carry a 9mm 1911, and it's not because I "don't know any better". I have my reasons. If I were to switch to something else it would be something like a P226 SAO or a DA/SA with a decocker I can actually reach. Or MAYBE a Glock with a Gadget. The SP2022 might actually be a good choice for the OP as long as getting bored with the Glock is not the only reason for switching.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    This is all fine, practical advice but it's still true that the Glock is not the only answer for everyone. Sometimes a different choice really IS the right option depending on the person. Experimenting is the only way to determine that, but the experiment should make sense within the context of the person's needs, habits, etc... I've shot a Glock 17 enough to know that I like it. But I carry a 9mm 1911, and it's not because I "don't know any better". I have my reasons. If I were to switch to something else it would be something like a P226 SAO or a DA/SA with a decocker I can actually reach. Or MAYBE a Glock with a Gadget. The SP2022 might actually be a good choice for the OP as long as getting bored with the Glock is not the only reason for switching.
    Still love my Glocks and just ordered a Gadget yesterday. So it's definitely not because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Everyone has because:reasons. Often they are more emotional than most of us would like to admit. Myself included.

some people start out wanting the unicorn/snowflake answer and work their way towards same. Some folks start out with ubiquitous and are happy to stay put and "focus on the fundamentals". Most of us seem to wind up swinging in and out, but the pendulum tends to cross the same point eventually, and if we pay attention we realize this and stay on that point so we can worry about other things.

The Glock, for me, is the single best plug-n-play solution. I no longer yearn for tinkering, fiddle-fucking, bragging rights, BBQ guns, snowflaking, unicorning, etc. mostly because I just don't have time in my life between job, house, family, and other interests outside of shooting. I'm willing to bet that virtually every single non-professional (and quite a few professional) users would be best served by the Glock in the same circumstances, but not everyone is working from the same set of circumstances or experiences.

New gun, new trigger, or keep fighting the good fight?

Everyone has because:reasons. Often they are more emotional than most of us would like to admit. Myself included.

some people start out wanting the unicorn/snowflake answer and work their way towards same. Some folks start out with ubiquitous and are happy to stay put and "focus on the fundamentals". Most of us seem to wind up swinging in and out, but the pendulum tends to cross the same point eventually, and if we pay attention we realize this and stay on that point so we can worry about other things.

The Glock, for me, is the single best plug-n-play solution. I no longer yearn for tinkering, fiddle-fucking, bragging rights, BBQ guns, snowflaking, unicorning, etc. mostly because I just don't have time in my life between job, house, family, and other interests outside of shooting. I'm willing to bet that virtually every single non-professional (and quite a few professional) users would be best served by the Glock in the same circumstances, but not everyone is working from the same set of circumstances or experiences.
    While I agree with you on most of those points, there are still the people that live in crappy states where they might not be best served by a Glock (crap 10 round magazines and all that for a lot of models). If you were stuck in that situation would you live with those problematic magazines or would you find another solution?

Edited because: punctuation is a thing.

Last edited by spinmove_; 06-29-2017 at 09:02 AM.

Site Supporter
    This is a little too close to saying Glock is the only rational choice and anything else is folly, since the non-Glock attributes and shortcomings of all the other available solutions will only serve to distract a given user from the one true quest.

User Tag List