Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lasers on Apaches

Site Supporter

Lasers on Apaches

http://warisboring.com/the-u-s-milit...pache-gunship/

Will the Glock 77 - a laser pistol powered by Mr. Fusion coming soon?

Funny story. I bought a SIRT Glock 17. My wife calls me at work to berate me that I left a gun just lying around on the easy chair. That's a no-no as we practice discipline on where the weapons are placed. I say - not to worry as it is just a Laser gun. She says - They are making Laser guns now!

I explained that is just a laser pointer gadget in a gun like frame. We laugh - but some day, we will have dry wall tests of red laser, green laser, gamma ray laser pistols. Not in my time though. But there will still be advocates of the 1911 and the Judge.

Banned

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Lasers on Apaches
    Man, that Custer guy is never going to catch a break....
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    At least they aren’t firing Tomahawks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The Aspie nerd in me requires that it be noted:

Custer was killed fighting in the Great Sioux War, by combinations of Lakota, Cheyenne, and Arapaho natives.

Apache are an entirely different group in terms of geographic distribution and even language (Apachean being a version of the Athabaskan language group, shared by Alaskan Native groups for instance). And they never had distributions in that part of North America.

So...
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 06-28-2017 at 05:12 PM.

I used to work in the same plant they produced TADS/PNVS for the AH-64s (Hint: not Raytheon), but never worked on them directly.

Lotta power to put a spot beam on target. Also kinda difficult to stabilize the beam long enough in one area to generate enough heat to do something useful. In a helicopter? Good luck. I heard it was hard enough for the guys to paint a laser code on a fairly slow moving target (say, T72) long enough for the Hellfire to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Custer was killed fighting in the Great Sioux War, by combinations of Lakota, Cheyenne, and Arapaho natives.

Apache are an entirely different group in terms of geographic distribution and even language (Apachean being a version of the Athabaskan language group, shared by Alaskan Native groups for instance). And they never had distributions in that part of North America.

So...
    Nothing kills a joke like over analyzing it.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B

Actually, I knew that. But it wouldn't have made for a decent joke.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Dammit, I just swatted my monitor to try and kill that bloody bug!

We've been shooting missiles out of the sky with lasers for a long time...and those lasers were attached to aircraft. We have the tracking figured out for the most part.

The real challenge is making enough power without a flying chemical factory or a small nuclear power plant onboard.

There is a great documentary on directed energy weapons called "Real Genius."

Air-To-Ground
    ATL was 10 years ago:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Tactical_Laser

Air-to-Air
    ALL in 1983, aircraft shooting down Sidewinders:
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/systems/all.htm

ABL in 2010:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq7ieXNoyVw
    Last edited by rayrevolver; 06-28-2017 at 08:08 PM.

User Tag List