Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Front Row Seats for the Collapse of the ACA

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I'm guessing there is a happy medium between the garbage government-intrusion-into-every-single-facet-of-medicine-because-think-of-the-children system we have now and Thunderdome.
    Once you make the productive labor of others a "right" there is no good "happy medium", and by definition a government (at least as ours is allegedly constituted) designed to protect our rights is in to the hilt.
    Last edited by Mark Housel; 04-13-2017 at 07:57 PM.
    FFL Type 01

"I have learned that wisdom can be as simple as substituting facts for assumptions."

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I'm guessing there is a happy medium between the garbage government-intrusion-into-every-single-facet-of-life-because-think-of-the-children system we have now and Thunderdome.
    FIFY.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I have had a lot of experience being in the healthcare system, and I tend to agree with Nephrology's above sentiments at least in regards to critical and acute care situations.

I do think there are a lot of services that could benefit from some more invisible hand regulation. Day to day stuff, not cancer treatment or you just wrapped your car around a light pole circumstances.

Let's consider childbirth. You know; a thing we have been doing before we figured out how to rub 2 sticks together.

I found the hospital bill for my mothers birth while cleaning out old boxes a couple weeks ago. It was $164. Now, those were 1950s dollars so they were obviously better than the ones we have now; but even adjusted for inflation, that would be a bill of just under $1500 in 2017 script.

In 2012, which was the most recent year in the best vetted study I could easily find no longer having university library access, the average cost of an uncomplicated vaginal birth at a hospital was over $10,000.

That is an indicator of a big fucking problem, and the problem ain't the fucking.

I suppose if you happen to live near a large enough community you have the option of a skilled birthing center at a much more affordable rate of $2500 or so, but that is still significantly higher than what inflation would indicate.

This sort of mundane shit should not cost what it does. Period.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List