Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: School me on J frames

I haven't carried a J frame in 20 years but that will change this week...

Have an Uncle Mike's for the pocket inbound. (No cost since I had amazon points.)

I used to paint the front sight with my wife's nail polish but may upgrade to one of those Sharpie paint thingies.

Have a couple of Tyler T's...in black and silver, plus my original wood grips from my early 80's Model 36. If need be I'll explore Pachmayr or Hogue.

Tom's building me his excellent by all accounts AIWB (w/ clip) holster

Still have a handful of old holsters going back a ways...a suede Cobra Gunskin IWB (clip), an 80's vintage DeSantis 02 belt holster, Renegade and DeSantis ankle holsters, (my others have worn out), and a relatively new Remora that may or may not be the right fit for the gun or the pocket. (Man, the leather on that old DeSantis is SO much nicer than the stuff he puts out today. Thick and supple, it's still like new.)

Since I already have them on hand, I'll carry the Winchester RA38B +P or Hornady Critical Defense (standard pressure). I've got plenty of American Eagle 130gr FMJ for training.

I hate speed loaders (especially in the pocket) so have always carried Bianchi speed strips since the 80's.

Not planning on changing internals. This is intended as a backup or last ditch firearm except for walks down to the mailbox on the main road or dog walks down our rural gravel road when I don't feel like grabbing something with a bit more firepower.
    Last edited by blues; 12-20-2016 at 10:23 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post

Holsters...for the pocket, it depends on which pocket I have different likes. Just had to deploy my M&P 340 the other night for real and the Mika I use for strong side front pocket worked great and has been about perfect...
    Sounds like things worked out—which I'm very happy to hear...

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    My .02 in Red
    I did not know that 5-star would switch the release direction. This thread just cost me money.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I haven't carried a J frame in 20 years but that will change this week...

I used to paint the front sight with my wife's nail polish but may upgrade to one of those Sharpie paint thingies.

Tom's building me his excellent by all accounts AIWB (w/ clip) holster

or dog walks down our rural gravel road when I don't feel like grabbing something with a bit more firepower.

White paint sharpie first, then orange. If you'd like, I can pop my two sticks into the mail, and you can send them back when you're done if you want to save 8 bucks.

Tom's building me a clip on AIWB as well. We're dog sitting a wonderful GSD today, and it's trigger guard and static cord for the morning trail walk, because I'm lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    White paint sharpie first, then orange. If you'd like, I can pop my two sticks into the mail, and you can send them back when you're done if you want to save 8 bucks.

Tom's building me a clip on AIWB as well. We're dog sitting a wonderful GSD today, and it's trigger guard and static cord for the morning trail walk, because I'm lazy.
    Very kind of you but I won't put you to the trouble. I'll evaluate after I get a chance to play with the gun and go from there. Thank you for the generous offer. I won't forget it.

I agree with most everything here...

I have not had good luck with CT grips. I've had an LG105 come apart under use (the female end of the screw socket delaminates from the grip. And I had the rubber portion of a set of 405's delaminate from the plastic.

ANKLE-I am on my second Galco ankle glove in 20 plus years. I also had an Alessi ankle rig for wear over a duty boot. But for regular wear (what I do now) the Galco ankle glove is just swell.

I'm also a 148 grain Gold Medal match wadcutter fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    ANKLE-I am on my second Galco ankle glove in 20 plus years. I also had an Alessi ankle rig for wear over a duty boot. But for regular wear (what I do now) the Galco ankle glove is just swell.
    I've had the ankle glove for the G26 for many years and it's been a stalwart performer.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I've had the ankle glove for the G26 for many years and it's been a stalwart performer.
    Indeed. Not all Galco products are as sturdy as the ankle Glove unfortunately, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    We're dog sitting a wonderful GSD today, and it's trigger guard and static cord for the morning trail walk, because I'm lazy.
    Just curious, are you talking about one of the kydex snap on trigger guards like the MIC? I've got this one pair of pants that has a almost pointed pocket that I've thought about using one of those in. It's pointed enough that the gun would ride vertically in it. My normal cargo shorts and my other pants are all way too big for that and I use a Mika in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    Just curious, are you talking about one of the kydex snap on trigger guards like the MIC? I've got this one pair of pants that has a almost pointed pocket that I've thought about using one of those in. It's pointed enough that the gun would ride vertically in it. My normal cargo shorts and my other pants are all way too big for that and I use a Mika in them.
    Exactly. I've had a couple by different makers that are pretty much identical for j-frame purposes. Great for tucking in a side pocket of a bag for a weekender. I've found that a 642 stays put with static line carry and one of these things, but my 36 weighs just enough more that I'm never *exactly* sure where the grip is, beyond "1 O' clock." OMMV on that, I'm sure.

It's certainly cheap enough to give it a shot and see if you can find a stable anchor point for the cord; I don't think you can spend more than 20 bucks on a trigger guard that's static cord only.

Incidentally, I also have a kydex trigger guard for a K-frame, but it didn't take to long to figure out that it's pretty unstable with a gun that weighty. .

That said, It's nice to feel totally comfortable just throwing several different guns into the range bag for a quick paper punching escape: that's my most common use of these little clamshells on anything bigger than a 642 or G43. The one sized for G17/19/26 and the K-frame have made it easier to grab and go when I find myself with an unexpected hour somewhere in the day. It might seem like a small thing, but it's often the difference between taking a gun to the range or just skipping it if I'm trying to jam a quick trip in. Again, OMMV.

Site Supporter
    Gun upgrades:

Grips - Any recs here would be appreciated. Do the stock grips work well? I know also that people seem to strongly recommend laser grips. Is Crimson Trace the only way to go? I know there are other brands out there, but don't see anyone recommending anything except CT.

CT Laser grips are the only way to go. The mission drives the model.

Front sight painted red, but going to look into Robar installing a Big Dot

Apex kit - Seems to help drop the weight from 12 lbs to 9 lbs. Would there be any concerns with using this kit in a carry piece?

Apex every time. it's Just...Right...

Other - Possibly finish with Robar NP3 Plus if desired based on feedback from the other thread

642 NP3 would be a bonus, 442 holds up well

Support gear:

Pocket Holsters - AHolster when I wear jeans and a leather pocket holster in short and other pants

IWB holster - haven't found one yet

Ankle holsters - Galco

Reloads - Both speed loaders and strips

For loaders. HKS and Safariland

Ammo - Is this from DocGKR still the consensus on ammo for J frames?

135gr Speer GDSP si what I carry, but it's impossible to get, so i'm looking for a new duty load.

I love the 638, but I just purchased the 442 no-lock, I hate locks on guns. I wish S&W would make a 49 with no-lock.
    I'm excited and test the 442 I'm going to document every round and test the performance and wear.
    I'm hoping to put 10,000 though it this year.

Appreciate all the guidance and advice, should help me get started on a good path without wasting too much money chasing the wrong things.

Didn't think I'd have a snub for a while, but all the experienced folks chiming in on the benefits and uses of it really swayed me. Plus, all of DB's gorgeous photos didn't help any. When a great deal came up for a no lock 642 I couldn't say no, but didn't do quite the same level of research on all the other stuff I needed so this was a great help. Only wishing it no-lock 442s were available given the finish issues several people have mentioned. Next time, I guess I can pick up a 442, or a 340...

User Tag List