Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AAR Kyle Defoor 2-Day Advanced Handgun - Feb 11-12, 2012 - PARK CITY, KY

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrawf1 View Post
    Is he contacting the frame with his support hand index finger?
    It really depends on your hand size. For kyle, his hands were a bit smaller than mine, so his OSH pointer finger is touching the trigger guard. For me, the OSH pointer finger is touching the frame/grip.

It's a pretty unique technique I've never seen or heard of. I used to hold my OSH grip like most shooters do, all four of the fingers (OSH) under the trigger guard. Since learning it at the course, I've found the "defoor grip", as I will call it, to work very well.For me, what the Defoor technique exceled at was not only recoil control, but prevents "grip slip". Sometimes on really hot days, I find my OSH grip to slip on my sweaty hands. The Defoor grip minimizes that, again, for me. The other day I got a really work out before I went shooting and my hands were, well, very sweaty. I did the fast drill cold and realized my OSH wasn't slipping. When my hands aren't wet, I have no troubles with my OSH grip slipping.

Yeah, some noted they were getting better recoil control. I know I do, for some reason, I was able to track my sights a bit faster than I normally do. Either my eyes are getting better at tracking or the grip truly controls a bit more then the standard OSH fingers under the trigger guard.

Again, that is my take. Could be different with you!

Quote Originally Posted by aboveandbeyond View Post

Don't be afraid to use the trigger guard to stabilize your position from a barricade.
    Seems like this isn't using cover correctly.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Seems like this isn't using cover correctly.
    That's the equivalent of not using the barricade to stabilize a shot from a carbine. ala Kyle Lamb style

Did not think of it like that.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by aboveandbeyond View Post
    It's a pretty unique technique I've never seen or heard of. I used to hold my OSH grip like most shooters do, all four of the fingers (OSH) under the trigger guard.
    Wasn't Massad Ayoob teaching this grip 20+ years ago? I'm positive it's in one of his books, though I don't have it in front of me to give you a reference. This is not to say that it's not a good technique or that it doesn't work well, only that there are very few new ideas, especially in shooting.

It's also not to say that a technique that is different from the current state of the art is bad. Eric Grauffel and Jerry Barnhart each hooks his left index finger around the front of his trigger guard. While very unusual, it seems to work well for them.

Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Did not think of it like that.
    Yeah, me neither. Kyle told me to try that when we were punishing some steel. Awesome tip

User Tag List