Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The philosophy behind carry rotation or no rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Either or. Any proven platform that doesn't hinder your learning.
    Shit, but a platform that you can get accessories for.

I love my FNP too much, it just works like a tank.

But I can barely find holsters and sights for it.

So limited.

While I understand the point of training with just one platform, and carrying a different type of gun every day of the week is pretty dumb, some people have to carry a different size guns for certain situations.

For example say I am going to the beach, its hard to wear a Glock 19 IWB, but I can pocket carry a Kahr PM9. I feel as long as you train with similar platforms you will be better off carrying a smaller gun at times instead of no gun at all.

Site Supporter
    I'd agree with the common more experienced consensus.

For instance, I bought an SGL21 about two months ago, being my First AK, and it being my new gun purchase, I couldn't put the thing down for the mandatory 2-3 weeks whenever the opportunity presented itself.

I did notice though that, I started rocking in magazines in an AR-15, I didn't think about it, I just realized after doing it once "Wait... Did I just rock in a magazine into an AR-15?"

Not to say I'm anybody who goes in the way of danger, or am high speed low drag, messing with your carry routine is probably the worst idea, because... under stress you will do what you've trained yourself to do, you will make stupid mistakes.

You just try to minimize those mistakes. Stuff develops into muscle memory that defies logic.

I'd say it might not be such a big issue if you were handling different semi-autos, like a 1911 and M&P9 with Thumb Safety, all have similar location of magazine release, thumb safety, etc. But try that with a glock or vice versa, and you will notice a difference, I usually shoot high, the trigger pull length messes with me, the grip angle when I present the gun how I'm used to, the sights are unaligned, and I have to really focus to get the sights aligned where before it was just second nature.

Just simple things. Simple things add up though, I'd say don't mess with the carry routine.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Often, it's a LEO who is issued a pistol he's not crazy about, so he carries his issued gun on duty and something completely different off-duty. Either this guy has enough time and ammo to become masterfully proficient with two different guns, or he's splitting his proficiency. Even if he doesn't like his duty gun, even if it doesn't fit him perfectly or have the features he really likes, that's the gun he's most likely to have on him in a fight. Why wouldn't he put as much effort as possible into mastering that gun? Then it only makes sense to carry the same gun, or perhaps a more compact version of the same brand and design, off duty.
    This applies to me. I do not carry our duty weapon, a DA/SA trigger, off duty. Im profecient with the weapon but I am way more comfortable with my off duty, a G-19.

Hopefully, when we switch weapons in July to the S&W M&P things will get better. I will shoot the M&P in CDP in IDPA but im undecided about using the duty gear at the moment.

I don't have a regular rotation. I carry my G19 daily back home, and will sometimes add the G26 in a weak side holster, but that's only because the wife doesn't like carrying her XD and I want her to be able to defend herself and my son if I'm not able to for some reason.
    When in doubt, thirty out.

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    Shit, but a platform that you can get accessories for.

I love my FNP too much, it just works like a tank.

But I can barely find holsters and sights for it.

So limited.
    Well, you need to call FNUSA and have them get some dummy guns made - I can't even get an FNP Dummy...

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Badfish25 View Post
    While I understand the point of training with just one platform, and carrying a different type of gun every day of the week is pretty dumb, some people have to carry a different size guns for certain situations.
    That's true...but often there are options within a family of weapons. If you have a Glock 17, for instance, the G19 or G26 may be able to go with you when you can't take the bigger pistol.

For example say I am going to the beach, its hard to wear a Glock 19 IWB, but I can pocket carry a Kahr PM9. I feel as long as you train with similar platforms you will be better off carrying a smaller gun at times instead of no gun at all.
    To be clear, I don't think anyone was holding that you must carry the gun you practice most with or go out armed with nothing more than fingernails. The admonition is to buy something good and stick with it, because in the end that's going to leave you better off than flavor of the month syndrome.

I carry two pistols most of the time...a P30 and a S&W 442. They are very different handguns, but I've trained with both of them and I practice regularly with both to build proficiency. I have different manipulations with both of them and even completely different grips...but I've never had any problem getting the two confused (never tried to reload my P30 with a speed loader, for instance) because I've spent time learning how to run both reasonably well.

My primary training pistol is a P2000 LEM.
    My most often carried pistol is a P2000Sk LEM.
    My alternate carry pistol is a Kahr PM9.
    The LEM and Kahr triggers feel very similar and I have the same sight set up on all three pistols, I've found I can transition between them with no problems.
    I shoot IPSC matches with the P2000 and for the local CCW matches I alternate between the Sk and Kahr, I've never felt that switching between the three pistols was a hindrance.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    That's true...but often there are options within a family of weapons. If you have a Glock 17, for instance, the G19 or G26 may be able to go with you when you can't take the bigger pistol.

To be clear, I don't think anyone was holding that you must carry the gun you practice most with or go out armed with nothing more than fingernails. The admonition is to buy something good and stick with it, because in the end that's going to leave you better off than flavor of the month syndrome.

I carry two pistols most of the time...a P30 and a S&W 442. They are very different handguns, but I've trained with both of them and I practice regularly with both to build proficiency. I have different manipulations with both of them and even completely different grips...but I've never had any problem getting the two confused (never tried to reload my P30 with a speed loader, for instance) because I've spent time learning how to run both reasonably well.
    I agree with you 100% about sticking to a well verse platform when every possible.

Is the S&W a back up gun for you, or do you carry it in certain situations?

How long did it take you to become proficient with both platforms, and why did you pick two guns that are so different from each other?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Well, the term "proficient" is loaded. I don't consider myself truly proficient with either...I'm working toward that goal. Now my current level of skill might be higher than some people's idea of "proficiency", but that's their prerogative. I practice basic manipulations with the J frame like reloads (the method taught by Michael DeBethencourt is a good technique for reloads) as well as accuracy and hits at speed from the draw. I also spend time confirming the zero on my laser and practicing using it...but only a little bit because it's so easy to use compared to the iron sights. I bought a 317 revolver which has helped with learning trigger control and precision accuracy. I use Jerry Miculek's snub-revolver grip on the J frames and it really makes a difference in controlling small handguns.

Like anything else, formal training from someone like Claude Werner or Michael DeBethencourt would go a long way to helping you build proficiency in a shorter period of time rather than trying to figure things out the hard way. The ability to spend time on the range talking about using the J frame with Ken Hackathorn is also a good shortcut to success, as he's forgotten more on the topic than most will ever learn.

I bought the 442 years ago because I read an article by a very wise man with a funny mustache that discussed what a practical little handgun the J frame is and how great it was as a BUG. As a bonus, it also gave me a carry option on those occasions when I couldn't carry a larger weapon. There are times when all I have on me is the 442, a Safariland speed-loader, and a blade. Not an ideal loadout, but it is capable of handling most reasonable self defense tasks.

As for why I chose two very different guns, practicality. The J frame is a blend of power, concealability, reliability, safety, and versatility that is hard to beat. It's been the default concealed carry pistol for literally millions since it was introduced to the market...and the concept of a small revolver is even older than the J frame itself. It is "enough" gun to serve as a primary on those occasions when I'm forced to carry it that way and it still serves well as a light, easy to carry BUG when I can carry something better.

The two guns serve very different roles. Within each niche I've tried to pick the best option for my situation that I can, which makes the time invested in practice with both handguns worth it to me. Since the 442 can go places that no other handgun can go, it's worth it to learn to use it well. Since the 442 is limited as a tool of self defense, it's worth it to learn to use a much more capable handgun like the P30 that I carry whenever I can and would reach for first if I have a choice. Etc.

User Tag List