Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are Glocks so popular? Make a non US citizen understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Were parts replaced according to schedule? Were there any parts breakages? And I'm assuming that they aren't claiming (like some gun writers) that they made it through hundreds of cases of ammo without a single out of spec case or a sideways primer or underloaded round.
    Beats me - I read about this gun in one of the Glock annuals from years ago (probably the late 1990's), but here's a link with photos of the gun. Yeah - Glocktalk's not my favorite spot for detailed information, either - but that's all I can find right now:

http://www.glocktalk.com/threads/jus....1482827/print

Maybe it's just me - but ammo used to be a lot higher in quality back in the day.
    Last edited by Spurholder; 06-15-2016 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Handy View Post
    All the spare parts you should likely ever need should cost $40 at most. If someone is serious about this stuff, why wouldn't they have a baggie with all of them already?
    Agree!

If you are shooting a high volume and are serious you would have springs and any spare replacement part on hand which can be sourced with a little thought and looking.

Speaking on the vp9, there are a few places that you can get whatever spare parts and springs you need.

IMO I think the need to have easily accessible spare parts is a little over exaggerated.

hk owners= hk direct or hk parts. All you need guys. If holsters are a concern, JM and many others can accommodate your needs. *que rob s special snowflake comments*

I have finally went ahead and done what I should have done years ago- bought a Glock 19 to be my EDC.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    hk owners= hk direct or hk parts. All you need guys. If holsters are a concern, JM and many others can accommodate your needs. *que rob s special snowflake comments*
    with all joking/piss match stuff aside, I have been heavily debating going back to glock 19s and spare parts with the current climate. Another reason is I really want a red dot on my pistol now.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Who's your favorite gangster rapper?
    OMG totally Billy Danze of M.O.P.

I was driving around the other day listening to the 1996 album "Firing Squad" and it's so over-the-top devoted to advocating violent crime it's pure self-parody. They don't even talk about dealing drugs like other gangster rap; it's mostly just advocating shooting each other. And there's a LOT of voiced sound effects for shooting, like "bluk bluk bluk". Made all the more hilarious by the complete lack of self-awareness as they complain about all the "fake-ass Gs" that are not actually committing the crimes they rap about...followed by lush descriptions of extended shootouts with police as their building gets surrounded. Actual lyric: "blucka blucka blu-blucka blu-blucka blucka blau."

Depending on your sense of humour, HIGHLY recommended.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

To agree with some comments made, specifically some that BT91 made, I think pretty much every pistol mentioned here is better than a Glock. Doesn't make the Glock bad, just not as good.

Of course, if you don't shoot at a reasonably high level, or at all as the case may be, then you wouldn't have any clue that one was actually, measurable better than another. Better go find a chart or something so you can keep them straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P View Post
    Agree!

If you are shooting a high volume and are serious you would have springs and any spare replacement part on hand which can be sourced with a little thought and looking.

Speaking on the vp9, there are a few places that you can get whatever spare parts and springs you need.

IMO I think the need to have easily accessible spare parts is a little over exaggerated.
    I agree that someone who is serious about such things should have spare parts on hand. And I also agree that parts availability is probably a little overblown. And I also agree that with a little "can-do" and searching, you can find just about every part that you would ever want available to you.

But not everyone is serious about such things, not everyone knows parts availability is overblown, and not everyone has the "can-do" and know how on where to source all these parts. Yes, this is PF, but not everyone is on PF. The people outside this comfy little sphere of yours, its big and full of ??? to the point of silliness.

All I'm saying is that while, yeah, it's not that big of a deal to people who know, it definitely doesn't hurt to have that kind of availability and helps the people who don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    To agree with some comments made, specifically some that BT91 made, I think pretty much every pistol mentioned here is better than a Glock. Doesn't make the Glock bad, just not as good.

Of course, if you don't shoot at a reasonably high level, or at all as the case may be, then you wouldn't have any clue that one was actually, measurable better than another. Better go find a chart or something so you can keep them straight.
    I'm not a US citizen, and certainly no glock rabid fan, but to me is not difficult to understand why glocks are so popular. It would be difficult to understand if they were not.

"Better" is a debatable term when it comes to guns. The HK VP9 has 63 parts, the Gen 3 G17 has 33. The engineer in me tells me someone went the German way of "why make it simple if we can make complicated". Who really needs replaceable side panes for the grip, or add-on flaps to help rack the slide? The PV9 may be more accurate, but 99% of users won't ever notice it, and 99.9% of users won't notice when the gun is used outside the range.

For a defensive/service pistol, there is only so much you can do better than a glock, and tiny incremental improvements (if so) are heavily outweighed by the low price, super easy serviceability, and availability of guns, mags, holsters and parts everywhere.

If you don't like the "safe action" trigger, obviously go to something else.

Obligatory picture of the fabled Gen 1 G17 used in the Hirtenberger Factory (BTW, they load the 9 mm hot), 342,210 shots and still running:

I would not bet all G17 would last this much, but they are very durable in 9 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    I'm not a US citizen, and certainly no glock rabid fan, but to me is not difficult to understand why glocks are so popular. It would be difficult to understand if they were not.

"Better" is a debatable term when it comes to guns. The HK VP9 has 63 parts, the Gen 3 G17 has 33. The engineer in me tells me someone went the German way of "why make it simple if we can make complicated". Who really needs replaceable side panes for the grip, or add-on flaps to help rack the slide? The PV9 may be more accurate, but 99% of users won't ever notice it, and 99.9% of users won't notice when the gun is used outside the range.

For a defensive/service pistol, there is only so much you can do better than a glock, and tiny incremental improvements (if so) are heavily outweighed by the low price, super easy serviceability, and availability of guns, mags, holsters and parts everywhere.

If you don't like the "safe action" trigger, obviously go to something else.

Obligatory picture of the fabled Gen 1 G17 used in the Hirtenberger Factory (BTW, they load the 9 mm hot), 342,210 shots and still running:

I would not bet all G17 would last this much, but they are very durable in 9 mm.
    Glocks don't have 33 parts. They have 34 part numbers, but the actual number of separate parts used to assemble a Glock at the factory is about 42 for a Gen 2 and 47 for a Gen 4. The trigger assembly alone accounts for 5 total parts.

This is just another example of how Glock has successfully marketed a false representation of its simplicity and safety to the public. The popular comparison was to the Beretta 92, which has 63 parts. But if you make an apples to apples comparison with a 92D it drops to 55 parts - and 10 of those parts are just grips and grip hardware.

Not counting the grips, it is reasonable to say that a Gen 4 Glock is more complicated than a Beretta 92D.

User Tag List