Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Visible gun used on permit holder

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Long tom coffin View Post
    I'm making a logical assumption here, but if something is plainly visible, then it is obviously not concealed, which in turn means it was carried openly.

How about that critical approach start with an actual critical reading first?
    Here's a critical thought for you: Google "Gell-Mann Amnesia".

The same media that we mock regularly about "automatic assault weapons" and "shoulder things that go up" is all of a sudden accurate down to every jot and tittle when it proves a point we want to agree with? See also: "confirmation bias".

Quote Originally Posted by Long tom coffin
    And stainless, there are multiple instances of Open Carriers being targeted for their weapons. I can think of at least 7 instances as reported in the news just off the top of my head, and that's only the ones I know about.
    (citation needed)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Here's a critical thought for you: Google "Gell-Mann Amnesia".

The same media that we mock regularly about "automatic assault weapons" and "shoulder things that go up" is all of a sudden accurate down to every jot and tittle when it proves a point we want to agree with? See also: "confirmation bias".
    Oh please. I've worked in media and have several associates who still do, including my wife. Not everyone is the witless misreporter you are portraying them to be, and there are still plenty of talented individuals out there who get their facts straight. Until proven otherwise, I see no reason to contradict what is reported based of nothing other than your own opinion. The statement above is nothing other than a horse laugh and guilt by association fallacy.

(citation needed)

Yes, because I really have all the sites bookmarked just so I can tote them out when I'm having a debate on some internet forum. For real?

Here's a critical thought for you: Google.

We are diminished
    Directed at no one in particular: Play nice. Debate is all well and good. Personal pot shots and rude comments are unnecessary, unwanted, and untolerated (it's a word now, deal with it).

And for what is hopefully the last time, discussion of the political implications involved with open carry are not appropriate for the Mindset & Tactics area of our forum. Please restrict all political discussions of any nature to the Romper Room.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Long tom coffin View Post
    Yes, because I really have all the sites bookmarked just so I can tote them out when I'm having a debate on some internet forum. For real?
    You're right, that was probably excessively snarky on my part, and I apologize, but in all seriousness, I follow gun stories on fora and blogs pretty closely and have for many years, and my email in-box overflows with stuff every time there's an unusual story, so I'm kind of surprised I hadn't heard about these. Can you remember anything like "That guy who had his gun grabbed in the grocery store parking lot in Denver" or suchlike? Like Erik mentioned above, the more generic keywords are something of a dry well.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    (citation needed)
    A few years ago an NYPD trainee got his head bashed in by a dude with a baseball bat on the subway because according to Babe Ruth he wanted to steal the gun. The officer survived, but barely.

You're right, that was probably excessively snarky on my part, and I apologize, but in all seriousness, I follow gun stories on fora and blogs pretty closely and have for many years, and my email in-box overflows with stuff every time there's an unusual story, so I'm kind of surprised I hadn't heard about these. Can you remember anything like "That guy who had his gun grabbed in the grocery store parking lot in Denver" or suchlike? Like Erik mentioned above, the more generic keywords are something of a dry well.
    Apology accepted, and mine as well. I tend to get ignorant when I feel "snarked".

Honestly, using generic search terms probably won't help much. Something more specific is required. For example, I put Open carry+target+robbed into google and got the following:

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/95999354.html

Interesting article. I found this quote to be particularly amusing: "The president of Wisconsin Carry, Nik Clark, says 100's of thousands of people open carry and he's never heard of anything like this.". Given Tam's previous statement about this trustworthiness of the media, I'm debating whether or not that makes the reporter or Nik Clark look like the bigger idiot. Hundreds of thousands of people don't open carry.

That was also one of the aforementioned stories I was referencing. Some of the stuff I know from people who I hang with who are in law enforcement (my range is a big LEO hangout), and some stuff I've seen online. For example, several years ago a cop got shot with his own weapon (grabbed out of his holster, no retention from my understanding) at a Mobil station on Grand in north city (the baaaad part of town). That was on KSDK's website for a while, but I don't know if it is still there. There was a story I read out of NC in the early part of last month where a guy was robbed of his gun while he was open carrying. Two guys approached, drew, and had him set his own on the ground and step away from it, and so on.

I don't think OC should be made illegal or anything, but I do think it to be a significantly inferior option to concealment, and frankly, I think it's just dangerous and ill-thought out.

That seems almost funny to those who actually have experience doing it.

Why the stiff opposition and obvious bias against open carry?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Directed at no one in particular: Play nice. Debate is all well and good. Personal pot shots and rude comments are unnecessary, unwanted, and untolerated (it's a word now, deal with it).

And for what is hopefully the last time, discussion of the political implications involved with open carry are not appropriate for the Mindset & Tactics area of our forum. Please restrict all political discussions of any nature to the Romper Room.
    Open carriers are the tip of the spear of gun rights. Im not understanding why the conversation was moved, it is a political as well as a tactical issue. It is also political and tactical advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Open carriers are the tip of the spear of gun rights. Im not understanding why the conversation was moved, it is a political as well as a tactical issue. It is also political and tactical advantage.
    No, they aren't, the NRA is. Open carry advocates are delusional, annoying, and often times damaging to gun rights (see CA open carry).

The conversation was moved because it's nonsense. Nonsense belongs in the romper room.

This isn't your run of the mill 'people with no experience speculating on matters way out of their lane' gun forum. Nearly all the regular posters here know very much what they are talking about, and can back it up. Cluttering forums used for the information they have with this kind of thing is not what we at PFC are here to do.

It is not a tactical advantage. I think it may have some ability to deter low level stop and robbers, but that's the end of that. The real bad people that do real bad things don't give a s*** about your open carried P95. The real tactical advantage is knowing how to shoot the gun you're carrying very, very well. Everyone I have ever met that I would consider a very good shooter does not carry their guns openly unless in uniform. That rhymes with Hue.

A political advantage? what documented, palpable, political victories can the open carry movement lay claim to?
    Last edited by JDM; 01-10-2012 at 09:00 AM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

User Tag List