Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mil Surplus 5.56

Mil Surplus 5.56

Quote Originally Posted by j.d.allen View Post
    The best deal for defensive ammo out there right now is probably the deal PSA has on 55gr Gold Dot.

Does anyone have a good consistent source for Fusion?
    What about the 64gr version? PSA has it for the same price as the 55gr.
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 05-19-2016 at 01:54 PM.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

As for M855/M193, there is also this from the Ammo article at Arfcom, where DocGKR gave significant input...

While the M855-type ammunition generally meets performance requirements, there have been quite a few reports in inadequate fragmentation. Please remember that this is military ammo, and while the fragmenting properties are well documented and understood, there is no requirement for the bullet to fragment when being tested for acceptance. There can be significant variations in constructions which could make some lots perform much worse than others. For this reason, it is not on the list. While the M193-type ammo is not nearly as complicated of a design, it is also not inherently as devastating as the heavier OTMs listed below. Since this article is about the BEST choices for self-defense ammunition, it is omitted also.

Note that it is stated that this ammunition "generally meets performance requirements", but is omitted from the list because the article was about the BEST choices. While the military stuff isn't the best, I've never seen it written anywhere that it's completely inadequate. And when it frags, it can be devastating. Also this:

Most folks would be far better off practicing with what they have, rather than worrying about what is "best". As long as you know your what your weapon and ammo can realistically accomplish, it is all just a matter of training and shot placement. I would much rather go into battle with a guy who practices 15,000 rounds a year using generic 55 gr FMJ out of his old M16A1 than with some guy that has the latest state-of-the-art ammo and rifle, but only shoots 500 rounds a year.

Which was written by Doc himself, and is on this site.

I could be wrong, and do not claim to be anything even approaching an expert. But from everything I've read on the subject, it seems to me that the consensus is that ammo selection is much less critical for a rifle than it is for pistols. I personally wouldn't have a problem facing a threat with M193/M855. Though if I had my choice it would be with something better.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    What about the 64gr version? PSA has it for the same price as the 55gr.
    I don't think they do anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by j.d.allen View Post
    I don't think they do anymore...
    It says in stock. Just checked.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    I want to have some ammo for just in case. To round out the arsenal. I don't have access to long range shooting and I'm not that interested anyway. Typical civil unrest type preparation.
    Wolf Gold M-193 type is what you seek.

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    Wolf Gold M-193 type is what you seek.
    Wolf Gold is my go to for everything under 300 yards and not hunting.

It consistently holds 2-3 MOA at 200 yards and is $300/1000 all day long. It's listed as 223 and not 5.56. I'll take accuracy and price over "M193" every day of the week. The minor velocity change matters not one bit for recreational or training.

For 600 yards I'll pay for Mk262; it performs as advertised. The 55gr Wolf Gold goes from 3MOA to 15MOA at that range.

Wolf Gold M-193
    I need to try some of that. And, FWIW, I'll take a 55 grain FMJ over Green Tip.

User Tag List