Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knowing how shit works makes TV and movies hard to enjoy!

Knowing how shit works makes TV and movies hard to enjoy!

It sucks trying to enjoy a TV show or movie when I keep having to stop myself from critiquing the bull shit.

Elevators that can be remotely dropped from the 70th floor and have doors that can be pried open by hand.

Ventilation systems that can support 200-300lbs of people crawling through ducts that are some how brightly lit.

Safe Crackers with stethoscopes.

Hackers that write virus code on the fly and crack 64 bit encryption in minutes.

And the total crap surrounding air craft!

Everyone here can empathize with the stupidity when it comes to guns and tactics. I'm sure more than a few have similar work experience to mine and feel what I'm whining about.

Is the real world really so ignorant that the garbage being put out by the entertainment industry is even remotely plausible to the average person?

</rant>
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 05-12-2016 at 11:00 PM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

YES !

I enjoy sci-fi. I'ts a good thing, because as you say... most movies are science fiction regardless of whether they realise it or not... a lot of fictional physics going on there.

Someone once said "Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story." Something that Hollywood lives by I guess.

Unfortunately, it's also something that the main stream news media have also taken up on. Movies it's unfortunate but understandable. News media - completely unacceptable.

Even worse when it's deliberate.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Just because we are from the culture that created the technology doesn't necessarily mean we understand it.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I had a buddy who was a submariner. Nuclear power plant guy, I think he mashed the atoms together or something. Anyway, he was the least fun person in the world to watch Hunt for Red October, etc. with.

Demolitions is a great one. There was some movie that came out while I was still in the Army where some dude wanted to blow up a parking garage to divert a lava flow in a big city. I don't remember the particulars, except the first thing is he wasn't in any sort of uniform or anything and says "we need to blow up this parking garage" and nobody asks..."ok, and who the fuck are you?" Then some SWAT dudes tape a bunch of "dynamite" to the support pillars and the whole thing falls right where they want it with no fuss. No drilling and tamping, no shape charges, just the Demo Fairy helping them along, I guess. I think it was the same movie same dude had them blow a trench in a street and again "dynamite". No shape charges, no cratering charges, just "dynamite" sitting on the ground. We (we being a room of Combat Engineers with nothing better to do) figured it up and that SWAT team had more demo at their disposal than something like 2.5 battalions of engineers.

Bullets bouncing off of jeeps and Hueys and stuff with little sparks...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

The old thing where the acoustic guitar has a 60 piece orchestra built in...
    Sound in space...
    BAD use of stock footage aircraft...
    WORSE use of stock footage A-bomb test explosions (the smoke trails from calibration rockets, or whatever they're called is a pretty good sign)
    MIG's made by Northrop...
    Squealing tires on dirt...
    and
    90 lb chicks throwing guys around during fight scenes.

The cocking of the Glocks is the worst. That sound effect of of a hammer being brought back and the person has a glock, i turn the channel every time. Needless to say we don't watch much TV.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    The cocking of the Glocks is the worst. That sound effect of of a hammer being brought back and the person has a glock, i turn the channel every time. Needless to say we don't watch much TV.
    I just point it out and laugh. My kids have started pointing it out, too - it's become a game to see who can point out stuff like that first.

Such rapid-fire insults to one's intellect are why I have stopped watching TV in general and focus only on a very small, select group of programming. I hate the idea of sitting on my sofa, staring at a screen, and passively watching garbage programming and advertisements.

User Tag List