Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Switching to Plated Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I'll be ordering a sample pack or two of plated options to try and then selecting a "permanent" choice from them, presuming my gun likes them.
    Quoting myself because I wanted to correct an error: I meant to say I'll be ordering sample packs of coated bullets, not plated. Sorry for any confusion I caused.

I haven't noticed much fouling with TiteGroup and coated bullets.

It's important to expand the case mouth sufficiently so that the coating isn't affected when seating the bullet. Damage the coating and you will see more smoke. Once everything is dialed in, load a few rounds and pull the bullets to check the coating integrity.

I am new to reloading. The first rounds I loaded were lswc and lwc in 38. The 158 LSWC I loaded over 3.5 of bullseye and the 148 I loaded over 2.8. When I came home and cleaned my guns I swore I would never load lead again. I have since loaded coated 158's over 3.0,3.2 and 3.5 and have noticed no leading. I have also loaded several hundred 147 grain coated over 3.0,3.2,3.5 in 9mm and am pleased. Just so I would have comparison I ordered 115 plated bullets and I plan to load them at some point and shoot them on Monday. I figure at least I will have a contrast. I have some titegroup that will be here on Tuesday and I will load comparable rounds to see if I can find a favorite combo.

Thanks for the beta fellas. That parallels some of what I've heard. I may pick up some coated bullets to dabble with at some stage, but given my powder cache is mostly Titegroup currently, I'll likely stick with the double struck Berry's I've been shooting.

t

Another one for coated over all else. Takes less powder, more accurate, not really sure why any other bullet would be used???? As for plated, I've used a bit in .45. Accurate has probably the most extensive plated data. At least with their powder but you can infer a lot regardless.
    A71593

Site Supporter
    Talionis-
    I gather that you're an HK shooter. I'm using an HK in .40, and am looking for a less expensive alternative to jacketed. I noticed that the precisionbullets site mentioned above specifically did not recommend using them in HKs. What do you use? And any idea what makes your favorite ones work well in the HK?

I'd appreciate the benefit of your experience with plated & coated in HKs.

Gyro

Site Supporter
    I just got home from range - shot STI Eagle in 45 and M&P PRO in 9. Load for 45 was 200 grain lead semi wadcutters and Bullesye - shot great but forgot about how much smoke lead and Bullseye make. Load for 9mm was Bayou coated 135 and Bullseye (found some at LGS during powder drought) - very little to no smoke with the coated. I will buy some Bayou coated 185 semiwadcutters for the 45.

I have used xtreme without trouble. I have seen fragments of the plating in cheap plated bullets in 40 cal. Was in a class and shooter did not know brand. Precision Delta is a good jacketed bullet at a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Talionis-
    I gather that you're an HK shooter. I'm using an HK in .40, and am looking for a less expensive alternative to jacketed. I noticed that the precisionbullets site mentioned above specifically did not recommend using them in HKs. What do you use? And any idea what makes your favorite ones work well in the HK?

I'd appreciate the benefit of your experience with plated & coated in HKs.

Gyro
    I have not shot plated in HK's. I transitioned from plated to coated bullets over a year ago, when I was still shooting a CZ. I was slightly apprehensive about shooting coated bullets in HK's when I moved to the VP9, but it has proved to be a non-issue. I use Leatherhead Bullets, and am very happy with them. I peeked down the barrel recently at ~1600 rounds since I last cleaned it and the bore still looked very clean. The gun/load combo is still a sub 2" gun at 25 yards freestyle if I pay attention to what I'm doing. Most quality manufacturers of coated bullets are using a poly coating called hi-tek, any variation from manufacturer would be attributed to the lead alloy used by each and corresponding hardness. I think with HK polygonal rifling, the harder the better. The precisionbullet recommendation not to use their bullets with HK's makes me wonder about the alloy they are using. I can say that the leatherhead bullets work fine at open gun velocities, as well as with polygonal barrels.

I have noticed that my HK's do better with lighter to medium weight bullets in the range for their caliber, but I think if you choose a reputable cast bullet manufacturer you will be happy with the bullets provided you do your part in load development.
    TY83544

Do you have a promo code for leather heads? I'm fixing to order a little bit tonight and then some more Friday.
    i used to wannabe

User Tag List