Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Striking with the Muzzle

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    I understand it happens. I was looking for some context to be able to answer the question better.
    Once upon a time in a magical place called Sig Academy the wicked instructor (Todd Rassa) held a force on force class. In this force on force class, the participants in the scenarios do not necessarily know how many rounds will be in their gun in order to set up malfunctions.

One bright and sunny day... Or actually, it could have been a rainy day, I was in this scenario, minding my own business, when I got attacked by a guy with a knife.

Well, needless to say I kinda took umbrage at the idea of getting stabbed so I drew my pistol and attempted to shoot the guy with the knife. Wouldn't you know it, somebody had only given me one round of ammunition.

With this fine gentleman with a great piece of cutlery in close proximity to myself and me with an empty gun I decided the better course of action would be to use the gun as a bludgeon instead of attempting to reload with the full magazine located in my left hand pocket.

I was throwing jabs with a sig 226 in my right hand and let me tell you, that is one of the best pairs of brass knuckles money can buy.

So that's my context for striking with the muzzle of a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    How about a P229? What failures are common?
    There are no common failures with the 229. Still requires competent instruction to do right, or im sure some failures would show up commonly.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    How about a P229? What failures are common?
    Never seen a pistol strike done with a 229, but I have seen several other DA guns disabled by bending the trigger guard up into the trigger and tieing up the works.

The 1911 I noted lost the bushing, plug and recoil spring after a cranium impact, we later found the plug all the way across the parking lot, the bushing where the fight happened, and never did find the spring.

Muzzle strikes with a loaded semi-auto pistol commonly result in a live round stove-pipe in my experience.

With snubs I teach using the gun like one would stab with a K-Bar TDI knife, or as a set of brass knuckles. Semi-auto pistols I teach the ridge hand strike using the top of the slide.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Never seen a pistol strike done with a 229, but I have seen several other DA guns disabled by bending the trigger guard up into the trigger and tieing up the works.

The 1911 I noted lost the bushing, plug and recoil spring after a cranium impact, we later found the plug all the way across the parking lot, the bushing where the fight happened, and never did find the spring.

Muzzle strikes with a loaded semi-auto pistol commonly result in a live round stove-pipe in my experience.

With snubs I teach using the gun like one would stab with a K-Bar TDI knife, or as a set of brass knuckles. Semi-auto pistols I teach the ridge hand strike using the top of the slide.
    The ridge hand strike works well and I think is less likely to render the pistol inoperative. I was also taught another technique of simply "holstering" the pistol in one of the offender's eye sockets as hard as possible. This is clearly a deadly force usage and would be appropriate with a gun that's down hard for one reason or another with little hope of getting it back in action as a firearm.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Is polymer going to bend too?

Is that due to the slide physically being pushed back after impacting someone, or just inertia?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I call snubs "Ballistic Push Daggers" get a hard grip and drive the muzzle into throat, eye etc.....
    You can go from contact to as distant as your skill and sights will take you.

Just leaving this here...
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Looks like Chuck Rogers' work.

Site Supporter

One would think a muzzle strike followed by a carefully aimed recoil spring bushing propelled at light speed out of the front of the gun (as happens when stripping the 1911) would do the trick!

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    One would think a muzzle strike followed by a carefully aimed recoil spring bushing propelled at light speed out of the front of the gun (as happens when stripping the 1911) would do the trick!

One might, but in this case the fight got distinctly worse immediately afterwards.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List