Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Pistol For Every Budget

Just a quick aside. Now that S&W has dropped the Shield price, start watching out for dropping QC. They have a history of that shit.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I've tried to get along with a Shield but I'm not good enough to make one run. A sub $400 PPS is very tempting. I definitely shoot it better and I love the versatility and magazine options. Would make a nice companion to a J frame.

Other Sub $400 pistol options.

I believe the LC9s pro has already been mentioned.
    J Frames
    LCRs if you shop the used market
    LCP
    M&P 9fs. Local dealer has police trade ins for $325. Who knows what kind of groups they will shoot though.
    Kahr CT series and possible the CW series.
    Used Glock 23's all day for less than $400
    Occasionally is see LEO trade in 21's for just under $400
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Is this part of a everyday discount they give, or something specific to the Shields or Veterans day? If so, that's cool of them, and I'd be much more likely to buy from them because of it. Most LE/MIL discounts will apply to any rent-a-cop or armored truck driver that can get letterhead before they'll give it to a six year Veteran with deployments.

Speaking of which, Happy Veterans Day!
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...th+%26+Wesson/

It covers;

Active or Retired Military personnel - all branches
    Honorably Discharged Military Personnel and Veterans - all branches
    National Guard personnel - all branches
    Military Reserve personnel - all branches
    CAP - Civil Air Patrol
    Fire Fighters - including volunteers
    Paramedics and EMTs
    TSA Employees
    Commercial Pilots
    Federal Flight Deck Officers
    Court Judges
    District and Deputy District Attorneys
    All sworn or retired Law Enforcement Officers - city, county, state, and federal
    All Corrections Officers
    State Licensed Security Companies
    The 9mm Shield is out of stock at the moment, but they seem to get 'em in weekly. I bought my LE SKU M&P 9 last December (three mags, night sights & latest internal upgrades) for $399.

Happy Veterans Day as well!
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 11-11-2015 at 09:18 AM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Just a quick aside. Now that S&W has dropped the Shield price, start watching out for dropping QC. They have a history of that shit.
    Might also just be overstock. The Glock 43 is probably digging into their sales.

My shield came with a bum recoil spring assembly that self-destructed after ~600 rounds, but I got a replacement unit for free (2, actually) and put another ~150 through it since with 0 issues. has fed everything I've put in it and shoots very well. Trigger is very workable and improves quite a bit over time. I had a bit of a learning curve in figuring out how to adjust my grip from a double stack Glock but once I worked it out I've been able to shoot it quite well. time to first shot from concealment roughly mirrors that with my Glock 26 and isn't much slower than with my glock 19 (maybe a 0.2-0.3 second difference). With the 8 round magazine you have a pretty respectable handgun in your mitts (especially when you consider that many carry a full size 1911 with effectively the same capacity

I trust my life to mine and do not hesitate to recommend them to friends.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 11-11-2015 at 09:25 AM.

What about a Beretta 92FS? It's possible to get good copies for under $400; just takes a little work and/or patience. Or even the imported 92S models that pop up in batches from time to time.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

G&R Tactical usually has Shields in stock with a first responder price of $310. I've talked to them a few times but never ordered. They do trigger work, add apex parts, and add sights of choice before shipping them out if you request it. Pretty good deal really.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Might also just be overstock. The Glock 43 is probably digging into their sales.

I trust my life to mine and do not hesitate to recommend them to friends.
    I have two Shields (my wife uses one as her CCW).
    They're the gun I most often recommend in my CCW classes.

But... make that a big 'ol Sir Mix-A-Lot BUTT...

S&W has a history of going too cheap on important details when they start competing on price with Glock.
    Now that they are dropping prices to combat the baby Glocks don't be surprised if Shields start having irritating issues caused by saving .02 per unit.
    That's been their track record for years, excellent design and engineering, great when they first hit the market, things go to shit a few years down the road.
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-11-2015 at 11:56 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    Walther PPS's are now under $400
    You're welcome - this recent $100 price drop is entirely because I was trying to sell one I bought when they were running closer to $475.

D'oh.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

In used guns, my recommendation would be for a Ruger P89 or 9mm P94, Security/Service/Speed Six (but buyers are starting to catch on to the inherent value of these, and prices are rising); Glock 17/19, 2nd or 3rd Generation, preferably Glock refurbished.

Best, Jon

On the Shield, have ya'll seen any reports of lefties (like, me) dropping mags due to crushing the grip?

Out of four mags I shot through a rental Shield last week, I had two where I heard a 'click' and looked down to see me gripping the bottom of the mag. No bueno.

User Tag List