Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picked Up A CZ 75 D Compact (PCR)

Picked Up A CZ 75 D Compact (PCR)

A couple of months ago I was considering trading my HK45 as the DA/SA wasn't cutting it for me. However, over the last two months and a couple of hundred rounds, I have came to appreciate DA/SA more, specifically the SA. My EDC has been a M&P Shield with HD's, but it was always in the back of my mind that I only had 15 rounds on tap and that was with a spare mag in two. Not to degrade that by no means, but I just wanted more capacity.

Yesterday I made a trade for my Shield to a guy for a CZ 75 D Compact model that was manufactured in 2014 and has only had 2 mags fired through it. The gun is in great shape and only shows little wear. So far I cannot be happier. A few months back, I made a trip to the rental range and was able to shoot the full size CZ 75D and have not been able to get out of my head how well I shot with that gun.

Today I was able to hit the range and give the compact a test run. This gun shoots just as well as the full size! At 25 yards off hand and I was able to hit the X on a man sized target with the first shot and the others not that far off. Amazing! I like being able to de-cock the pistol as I plan to carry this AIWB. The size is on par with my friend's G19. I was only able to run 100 round of FMJ and it had no problems at all.

Just wondering if anyone else carries this model or any of its siblings (P-01, SP-01, 75B)? What holster(s) do you use?

Any recommendations for upgrade parts, sights, etc (i.e. Cajun Gun Works parts)?

What are some good options for grips specifically for the compacts?

MecGar mag prices are par with Glocks, $25-$30. How do they run?

I will try to get some pics up later tonight when I get the kiddos to bed.

CZ's are real accurate guns. I sold my 75 D, but still have a P-01, Shadow (Matt Mink) and two P-07's. The P-01 was my EDC before I moved to the P-07's, which pretty much shoot as well, but are lighter. I use JM Kydex for AIWB, the "George" with comfort pad. The compacts have all been through CZ Custom Shop. The P-01 has night sights, a CZ tritium 6.5mm front sight and a low-mount Heinie rear. CZ 85 combat trigger and the DA trigger is outstanding. It has a 13 lb hammer spring and 100% ignition. VZ grips which are very comfortable and grippy. Give Stuart Wong at CZ Custom a call and talk about options; great guy.

Name:  P-01 - 1.jpg
Views: 5631
Size:  58.0 KB

I'm currently carrying one of a pair of CGW Pro Package P01s. The size is perfect and the trigger is out of this world (with the pro package, not sure about stock).

I use VZ tactical diamonds and they work well for me. I have just enough grip during dry conditions without tearing up shirts/skin. I haven't tried to see how slick the gun is when it's raining.

I have the diamondbacks on my SP01s and those are much rougher. With the diamondbacks, if I shoot several hundred rounds, some skin starts coming off of the palm of my left hand (right handed shooter).

As far as the MecGar mags go, the ones for the compact CZs are OK. I haven't had any issues yet, but they don't seem like they would hold up to frequent dropping on hard surfaces when partially loaded like Glock mags do. As an option, you can take the MecGar 16rd CZ75 mags and add the stock SP01 mag baseplates for a flush fitting, slightly extended mag.

I'll have to do a side-by-side comparison sometime with a G19 and see which one I'm faster with from concealment, but my P01s are definitely easier to wring out accuracy at distance. For reference purposes, my P01s have a 7-7.5lb DA/3-3.5lb SA.

P01 w/JMCK:

Name:  IMG_0155.jpg
Views: 3025
Size:  79.2 KB

P01:

Name:  IMG_0156.jpg
Views: 3413
Size:  78.8 KB

MecGar 14rd P01 mag (Left), stock P01 mag (Right):

Name:  IMG_0157 copy.jpg
Views: 2269
Size:  70.8 KB

MecGar 16rd CZ75 mag w/SP01 size baseplate (Left), stock P01 mag (Right):

Name:  IMG_0158 copy.jpg
Views: 2188
Size:  55.6 KB

CZ P01 with 16rd CZ75 mag/SP01 baseplate (don't judge me for the gaudy color):

Name:  IMG_0160.jpg
Views: 3102
Size:  76.7 KB

For the compact your grip options pretty much begin and end with VZ. Unfortunately for the CZs you're pretty limited. I have "frags" on my compact and they look cool but don't provide much grippiness compared to stock. On my FS I have diamondbacks, which were very aggressive and I eventually sanded them down a bit, perfect now for me but for IWB sans undershirt you'll probably want to go with tactical diamond.

Haven't had any issues with the mec-gars.

Holsters, unfortunately the ones I use don't seem to be available anymore-- Blade Tech UCH for IWB, and a Cane & Derby Pardus for OWB. Both for the FS, conceals great in both. For my compact I use something made by a local guy who does kydex. Though I haven't used one for my CZs I see Custom Carry Concepts has options for the 75 compact, might be worth a look. Pleased with their stuff so far.

Also FWIW my CZs are the most reliable pistols I've owned and the PCR would be my first choice for one to EDC.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

JST, aren't the labels on MecGar and stock CZ magazines reversed?

Between the rear sight profile, the hammer and beaver tail, your P01 looks to have plenty of pointy things -- does it spread shirts?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    JST, aren't the labels on MecGar and stock CZ magazines reversed?

Between the rear sight profile, the hammer and beaver tail, your P01 looks to have plenty of pointy things -- does it spread shirts?
    You may be right on the mags, I may be remembering incorrectly. As far as everything being sharp, the rear sight doesn't bother me due to the holster, neither does the hammer. The part that gets me the most is the beavertail. I don't typically wear an undershirt, so it's my skin that gets the brunt of it. For the most part it's a non-issue for me, the only time i really have an issue is when first getting in a vehicle. I just quickly adjust and everything is good.

IF I wore an undershirt, the hammer and sights might tear up shirts though.

ETA: Just checked Greg Cote's website, you are correct GJM, I had the MecGar and CZ Factory mags reversed.

As a general rule, I prefer MecGar. Just not the MecGar for the P01, as that lip on the magazine protrudes so much it pinches me shooting. I use the CZ magazines, upgraded with Wolf springs. I think magazines are the weak link with the P01, and CZ was smart to go to MecGar as the OEM magazine on the P07. I recall using a full size MecGar 75 AFC magazine as my P01 reload.

And I meant shread shirts.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'm a big fan of the 75 AFC magazines, they seem much better built than the P01 or factory 75 magazines.

The beavertail doesn't shred my regular shirts. I'm not sure why, but I have never had a shirt shred due to carry.

I installed the CGW extended firing pin and 13lb hammer spring in my SP-01 Tactical last week. They made a big difference in the DA pull, I'll do my PCR next week If you choose to get into the bottom of the gun, buy the slave pin and several de-cocker springs.

I found it's a Bohemian cuckoo clock in there (bottom of the gun), good light and some magnification are big plus, patience is required. The SP-01 Tactical (de-cocker like the PCR) videos from Abyss1232 were invaluable when I accidentally disassembled my sear cage on my way to replacing the trigger return spring (I still have to go back and do that).

I may replace the triggers in both guns with units from a model 85 or 97(?) as the curl is a little tight for my finger.

Enjoy

JST, are those the Dawson Fibers from CGW?

I looks like you, JST, and SteveB both have the CGW comp hammer? I am having trouble loading their website at the moment, but I think that is the one.

Thanks for the recommendation on VZ grips. I started with Hogue, but it seems that they only had them for the full size.

Last edited by Father of 3; 07-14-2015 at 10:54 AM.

User Tag List