Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss: Safety

If you can't do anything else but stand still until you've confirmed your finger is out, you're wasting time. Yes, no?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
    If you can't do anything else but stand still until you've confirmed your finger is out, you're wasting time. Yes, no?
    that wasn't my question? But I will humor you and state that I take my finger out of the trigger guard when I can not identify where my front sight is pointed. So do I take it out during target transitions? no because I am consciously on my front sight. Do I take it out before I start movement? Yes unless I am shooting on the move, once again I am on my front sight. What does this mitigate? Well since you asked about movement, if I am moving and fall I will possibly ND. While this is a concern while shooting on the move it should not be any kind of issue when moving through a stage, no front sight=trigger finger out of the trigger guard. If that gets me killed on the streets, I guess I'll have to live with being safe. This is talking about in general, not what the guy did in the photo.

Can you answer my question also. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    But I will humor you and state that I take my finger out of the trigger guard when I can not identify where my front sight is pointed.
    Just to clarify, do you mean "front sight" or do you mean "muzzle?" And do you mean you take your finger out of the trigger guard when you can not identify whete your front sight is pointed, or something else?
    Last edited by GJM; 04-02-2015 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Spell better
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Never been in a gunfight, but I would imagine wasted time would increase the chances of getting shot at. Waiting until you're aiming to get your finger in the trigger guard/start prepping the trigger is a waste of time. Also... waiting until you're full out of the trigger guard to START moving is a waste of time.

That is what this debate is about... when you can start putting your finger on the trigger and when you have to start taking it off.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Just to clarify, do you mean "front sight" or do you mean "muzzle?" And do you mean you take your finger out of the trigger guard when you can not identify your front sight is pointed, or something else?
    Thanks GJM, I meant where my muzzle is pointed by front sight. And I mean if I am not actively shooting something or prepping to break a shot, my finger is out of the trigger guard. Hopefully that gets my point across? Full disclaimer: I have never participated in gun games, I come from a background where I had to point my gun at quite a few people while we searched them/detained them and honestly the only safe way to do that is to be strict about where your finger is. Only takes one stupid mistake to ruin your life. So if that doesn't fully cross over into this discussion I will bow out.

Thanks GJM, I meant where my muzzle is pointed by front sight. And I mean if I am not actively shooting something or prepping to break a shot, my finger is out of the trigger guard. Hopefully that gets my point across? Full disclaimer: I have never participated in gun games, I come from a background where I had to point my gun at quite a few people while we searched them/detained them and honestly the only safe way to do that is to be strict about where your finger is. Only takes one stupid mistake to ruin your life. So if that doesn't fully cross over into this discussion I will bow out.
    That guy is prepping the trigger because he is literally shooting the target probably hundredths of a second later. Also... its an open gun... you hold the gun probably 2 inches lower than you would an iron sight gun and you look at the target, not the dot when you aim (the reason why it appear he isn't looking at the gun).

Also, the guy IS going to shoot the target, not deciding whether to or not... starts prepping the trigger while bringing the gun up so when the gun is in position he can pull the trigger go on... big difference than having a gun out and not having to shoot because you're analyzing what is going on prior to shooting anything.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
    That guy is prepping the trigger because he is literally shooting the target probably hundredths of a second later. Also... its an open gun... you hold the gun probably 2 inches lower than you would an iron sight gun and you look at the target, not the dot when you aim (the reason why it appear he isn't looking at the gun).
    Ya, I admit context is everything. And also sorry Tom, I'll try better to keep it on topic.

Todd is a smart guy and I am sure he understood what he was doing when he selected the sport as an example.
    Yes, it was quite the troll

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    FWIW, this thread is in the Competition Skills & Discussion section, so any talk about "getting killed on the streets" is probably off topic and better suited for a different thread.
    Tom, you make the rules here, but I think when and how to put the finger on the trigger is a very interesting discussion that dovetails with competition and the streets.

My personal view is as long as you are not waiting for your finger, the later you put your finger on the trigger in the presentation, the safer you are in terms of not letting shots off early, and the less likely you are to experience anticipation, which can lead to missed shots. So, later = more safe, more accurate.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Tom, you make the rules here, but I think when and how to put the finger on the trigger is a very interesting discussion that dovetails with competition and the streets.

My personal view is as long as you are not waiting for your finger, the later you put your finger on the trigger in the presentation, the safer you are in terms of not letting shots off early, and the less likely you are to experience anticipation, which can lead to missed shots. So, later = more safe, more accurate.
    GJM, I just had a light bulb moment from that simple statement. I have a shooting buddy that I think this will help with his pistol shooting problems....

User Tag List