Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: The 40cal on its way out?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    What kind of velocity are you seeing from that loading?
    I do not have a chrono. I did give some to a buddy to test for me and he shot them from a G17. High was in the 1330s and low was in the 1240s for 20 or 25 rounds that I gave him. Some lots do hit harder than others, but it's good warm ammo. RWS/GECO and the S&B police are similar in spec as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportster883 View Post
    I do not have a chrono. I did give some to a buddy to test for me and he shot them from a G17. High was in the 1330s and low was in the 1240s for 20 or 25 rounds that I gave him. Some lots do hit harder than others, but it's good warm ammo. RWS/GECO and the S&B police are similar in spec as well.
    Swiss or Hungarian manufactured GECO? I don't have a chrono, but some Hungarian GECO 124gn I recently purchased shoots a little softer than my Blazer 124gn, and noticeably softer than the Federal aluminum 115gn Wally World stuff. Non-scientific certainly, but I was expecting hotter stuff.

Not all loads from a maker are loaded the same. If you want to be sure, chrono your loads or read the tech info from the maker (important to check barrel length, to compare apples to apples).

Quote Originally Posted by 396 View Post
    Swiss or Hungarian manufactured GECO? I don't have a chrono, but some Hungarian GECO 124gn I recently purchased shoots a little softer than my Blazer 124gn, and noticeably softer than the Federal aluminum 115gn Wally World stuff. Non-scientific certainly, but I was expecting hotter stuff.
    The stuff I have is Swiss. The jacket is bimetal and shoots horrible from his Glock but shoots very well from my XD9 for accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportster883 View Post
    The stuff I have is Swiss. The jacket is bimetal and shoots horrible from his Glock but shoots very well from my XD9 for accuracy.
    Also makes a lot of sparks when it hits steel.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Well I got some emails back

1 from the Speer expert

M&P 9mm Gold Dot 124gr +P

M&P 40S&W Gold Dot 180gr

The 40S&W has 1 pressure level and it is the same pressure as the 9mm standard pressure.
    The slide speed increase as bullet velocity increases and so more velocity tends to be harder on the pistol than the slower often heavier bullets.

Nothing anything new to me.
    The 40S&W 180gr have less velocity than the 9mm +P and +p+loads

Email from Ruger about there SR 9mm using +P +P+ and SR 40S&W using 180gr loads
    They stated
    We do not have a difference in the models for stating if one has a longer service life than the other!

Then they turn around and say Although the SR series is capable of firing+P ammo a steady diet of it is not recommended? LOL

waiting for HK and S&W

From working with the Glock 17 and 22 extensively, I can tell you for a fact that the .40s push the slide velocity higher regardless of what weight bullet, although the fast 165s were the worst for feeding failures due to excessive slide velocity.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Also makes a lot of sparks when it hits steel.
    Chuck
    Ive seen go back and forth! as far as the 9mm 147 HST

I can see why the 147gr HST penetrates well. The Dia is smaller than the 180gr HST. Of coarse I think both bullets expand plenty enough.

If I liked the 147 HST Impulse in my P30S 9mm I would be using the load for SD.

BTW according to ATK own HST 9mm gel testing NONE of the loads fully passed the FBI testing. Really freaked seeing the 147gr HST only penetrating 12inches of BG

From working with the Glock 17 and 22 extensively, I can tell you for a fact that the .40s push the slide velocity higher regardless of what weight bullet, although the fast 165s were the worst for feeding failures due to excessive slide velocity.
    135 ,150,155 can be driven fast. 1350 -1200fps. I use to use those loads for SD. LOL Thank God for Doc testing

BTW I hated the Gen 2 G23 I had for a very short time. I also got rid of my Beretta 96 after 500rds

So Im not a hard core 40 fan . I even gave up the 40S&W recently for a 9mm

I just thought if a agency issued + or +P+ it wouldn't last as long as service pistols shooting the heavy 180gr loads.
    and have slightly better performance tracking etc!
    Last edited by Rich; 03-18-2015 at 03:13 PM.

The 40 loads has 25-30% more recoil impulse than a normal 9 mm load, and about 20% more than 9 mm +P loads. Yet the G22 and G17 have almost the same recoiling mass (slide + barrel) and the recoil spring is the same up to Gen 3.

I agree that a heavier slide would tame slide velocity a lot in the 40 glocks.

User Tag List