Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calling the Shot and Front Sight Lift

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    Do a front sight drill, shooting into the berm, where the only objective is to watch the front sight during its entire motion.
    When helping new shooters grasp this concept I always start them with my Ruger 22/45 which virtually eliminates blast and minimizes recoil. My intent is to eliminate as many distractions as possible so their mind can concentrate on the front sight. Once they are comfortable I'll add a paper target to the mix and have them do the same thing then try to call the shot as well.

With each additional task the mind is having to do more so this takes a while. It's not unusual to burn through a couple hundred rounds of .22 working through these drills. Any time the shooter is showing fatigue we take a break or call it a day. Once your brain is tired you won't keep learning well and can reinforce bad habits.

Do you "flinch blink" when the sear/hammer drops during dry fire? If so, you might want to work that out. One thing that I struggle with during dry fire is an eye twitch when the trigger breaks. It's not a full blink, but still very subtle, barely perceptible, eye flinch. I can feel the eye movement, but it's so fast my brain can't doesn't recognize the break in focus. I think that that my little dry fire twitch compounds itself into full blink during live fire.

I'm a total novice here, so take this for what it's worth.

User Tag List