Page 18 of 94 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the AUG.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Nope, it just looks like an awesome combination.
    Well here's hoping it works out with the can I have pending, I just placed an order for the AUG with CDNN. This thread has been bad for my bank account.

Let's talk about the AUG.

From those with experience, which would you recommend for the first-time AUG buyer - the A3 or M1 with 1.5x factory optic? I have a Meprolight RDS on backorder just begging for a home and I own a relatively new PRO, but really am looking for a justification to splurge on the OD M1 and I really enjoy the classic look of the fixed optic.

Use would realistically be punching paper and the occasional carbine course at the SIG Academy. It would replace my braced AR pistol as my bedside gun but honestly, the chances of needing one in my tiny condo or in any fantasy zombie scenario are nil.

Furthermore, if I were to buy the M1 with one of the two rail options instead of the fixed 1.5x optic, does the longer rail offer any real advantage over the short rail? Wouldn't the extra real estate of the A3 be better than the two shorter M1 rails? Color preferences and rails/optics aside, are there other fundamental advantages justifying the cost of the M1 over the A3?
    Last edited by S Jenks; 01-02-2015 at 03:09 AM.

Site Supporter
    At the 2009 Silencer shoot a AUG was being shot suppressed near us. It sounded almost unsuppresssed; I wouldn't recommend a suppressor. IIRC, the gun vents excess gas, etc. similar to a suppressed AK.

ETA: That and the ejection port is right next to your ear; I wouldn't expect bull pups to suppress well. This is also 6 years ago; I may not recall correctly.
    Last edited by BWT; 01-02-2015 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Nice review. That outfit happens to be local to me.....it's where I bought my M&P9. Glad to see a dearth of derp.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    At the 2009 Silencer shoot a AUG was being shot suppressed near us. It sounded almost unsuppresssed; I wouldn't recommend a suppressor. IIRC, the gun vents excess gas, etc. similar to a suppressed AK.

ETA: That and the ejection port is right next to your ear; I wouldn't expect bull pups to suppress well. This is also 6 years ago; I may not recall correctly.
    There are suppressor systems built to mitigate this.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    From those with experience, which would you recommend for the first-time AUG buyer - the A3 or M1 with 1.5x factory optic? I have a Meprolight RDS on backorder just begging for a home and I own a relatively new PRO, but really am looking for a justification to splurge on the OD M1 and I really enjoy the classic look of the fixed optic.

Use would realistically be punching paper and the occasional carbine course at the SIG Academy. It would replace my braced AR pistol as my bedside gun but honestly, the chances of needing one in my tiny condo or in any fantasy zombie scenario are nil.

Furthermore, if I were to buy the M1 with one of the two rail options instead of the fixed 1.5x optic, does the longer rail offer any real advantage over the short rail? Wouldn't the extra real estate of the A3 be better than the two shorter M1 rails? Color preferences and rails/optics aside, are there other fundamental advantages justifying the cost of the M1 over the A3?
    My "next AUG" will be an M1 with the 3X optic and a Micro Aimpoint mounted on top. For just running a red dot, the A3 is fine as you can get the optic behind the charging handle notch, which I find to be important. My current "bedside AUG" has a Aimpoint Comp M4 mounted all the way to the rear, and an HK416 fixed front sight in case of some type of optics failure will work like a big ghost ring with the tube of the M4 and the front sight.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

My AUG came in from CDNN a couple days ago. I have yet to shoot it but after attaching the provided sling I saw immediately that it interferes with operation of the charging handle (I'm right-handed). To avoid this I have the strap running around and underneath the right side of the rifle in between the foregrip and trigger guard, which keeps it out of the way of the CH. Seems to work but not really ideal. Apologies if this has come up before, but is there a good way to set up a 2 point sling for this rifle?

This starts getting into the "how often am I working the charging handle during any kind of tactical operation". While it is one of those "it seems like this is going to be an issue" it doesn't really pan out that way.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Three questions for nyeti:

1) Do you find any problems making a transition from running an AR to running the AUG? Any issues with the different manual of arms? And if you don't now have those issues because of experience, did you find any problems in the early days of running those platforms?

2) any handling problems with the light mounted where it is? Pictures can be deceiving but it seems that with it offset maybe you run into places where it gets in the way. Or is that one of those things that just happens with different guns? I.E. nothing is ever 100% perfect and we work around minor things (like the sling and charging handle issue).

3) why run the M4 so far back? Is there a particular reason for that because it is a bullpup, or is it due to a particular thing with the AUG?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Three questions for nyeti:

1) Do you find any problems making a transition from running an AR to running the AUG? Any issues with the different manual of arms? And if you don't now have those issues because of experience, did you find any problems in the early days of running those platforms?

2) any handling problems with the light mounted where it is? Pictures can be deceiving but it seems that with it offset maybe you run into places where it gets in the way. Or is that one of those things that just happens with different guns? I.E. nothing is ever 100% perfect and we work around minor things (like the sling and charging handle issue).

3) why run the M4 so far back? Is there a particular reason for that because it is a bullpup, or is it due to a particular thing with the AUG?

TIA
    1. If I spend a lot of time with one over the other, yes, it can be an issue. Again, best analogy is Apple vs. P.C. I can use both and have spent a majority of my computer life on the PC (AR), but lately mostly use a Mac (AUG). When I get on a PC, it can take a few minutes to remember where everything is. Same thing. I find the AUG to be pretty easy to use and it doesn't take much to get things working. Another analogy......the AUG is like a Gen. 2 Glock to me. It doesn't matter what I am shooting, I can always shoot them. The AR is like a 1911 for me.......same thing, no matter what I am shooting it is easy to figure out.

2. The light is the "weirdest" thing right now. It is workable but not optimal. I could get the thing optimal like my A2, but I like the simplicity of this set up. If I was working as a cop still, I would get it set up different. For the way I am running it as a Home gun, the solution is good. It's a minor work around.

3. By running the optic to the rear I find it quicker to the eye coming off the mount from the low ready. It also clears where the charging handle locks to the rear. The AUG is super fast from the low ready to the cheek weld mount, so the rearward optic simply emphasizes this positive aspect.

User Tag List