Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Why a shotgun?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Unless the night is lit by burning cop cars, people a hundred yards away from me are the po-po's problem, not mine.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Posted early on. "Im primarily concerned about home defense, SHTF, civil unrest scenario. I can hunt just about anything with a .22."
    Some of this is just jonesin for a beretta tactical shotgun. The more I read about them the more I want one. Not need...want. But reality strikes...I have an 870 that works great. The next two purchases will probably be an AR 5.56 and a VP9. But it also occured to me If I ran just slugs..got a rifled barrel..I'm defended from up close to out past a hundred yards... I could just add a .308 and have a well balanced arsenal. I already have two .22 pistols and two .22 rifles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    What are you thinking as far as "long range" in home defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Unless the night is lit by burning cop cars, people a hundred yards away from me are the po-po's problem, not mine.
    I do appreciate your turns of phrase.

I, for the most part, agree. I'm no GJM, but I live on 5 acres in a very rural area. I'm 16 miles from the closest Star Bucks, and you can fire a rifle in three directions on my property and hit either generic woods, or genuine National Forest. There's little doubt that the first Deputy that responds to my place will wait at the bottom of my fatal funnel of a driveway and wait for lots, and lots of help to arrive if it really hits the fan around here.

Even given all that, when I consider long range engagements, I'm starting to get out of the "self defense scenarios that are likely to happen" place and into the "post apocalyptic fantasy scenario place." For one thing, given the terrain, you can't really SEE that far here, much less discern identity and hostile intent.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Posted early on. "Im primarily concerned about home defense, SHTF, civil unrest scenario. I can hunt just about anything with a .22."
    Some of this is just jonesin for a beretta tactical shotgun. The more I read about them the more I want one. Not need...want. But reality strikes...I have an 870 that works great. The next two purchases will probably be an AR 5.56 and a VP9. But it also occured to me If I ran just slugs..got a rifled barrel..I'm defended from up close to out past a hundred yards... I could just add a .308 and have a well balanced arsenal. I already have two .22 pistols and two .22 rifles.
    Personally, if I already had an 870 that ran great, I would eschew the tactical shotgun, the slug barrel for the 870, and the AR-15 and just go straight to buying a .308.

On the other hand, none of the rest of that is a wrong answer. There is more than one way to do this.

Was looking for something else when I found this blast from the past, one article is ref combat use of shotguns;

http://www.gunbooks.ca/ar/1964/ar1164.pdf

That has got to be the purtiest HD SG I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    A carbine is hard to beat and if you already have one, so buying a SG for strictly HD may not need to be a priority.

That said, there is an interesting thread on M4C about the "political correctness" of a traditional shotgun, how one stood in a corner may not even get a second look by a non-enthusiast where an "assault rifle" would. In terms of effectiveness, there's no arguing that a hit with 00 buck at indoor HD ranges will stop the assailant as quickly as anything.

In my perhaps naïve POV on home defense, I don't plan on actively engaging a squad of hit men outside of my home in an extensive fire fight, or actively searching for them room-by-room inside my home. My plan is to take up the most easily defended position that will force them into a narrow "corridor of flying lead" if they decide to press the assault, and to call for help to local good guys in blue. In this scenario, a reliable SG is going to serve well.

As an aside, I had an old Remington 1187 Premier sitting in my safe unused for a long time. I decided to turn it into a HD project gun and it turned out really well. Shortened on both ends and lightly accessorized, it runs Federal LE loads perfectly and is amazingly maneuverable and fun to shoot. FWIW, it's positioned in front of my carbine in the event of a HD emergency.

Thanks Brian. I actually shoot it, too. ;-)

BTW, what barrel do you have for your 870?

The barrel that came on it. Its from a lot of Police trade in's that a LGS picked up. It's got the plain barrel with bead. I've had it for 20+ years.

Thanks Brian. I actually shoot it, too. ;-)

BTW, what barrel do you have for your 870?

If it's an 870P, you have a great SG. Plenty of excellent aftermarket accessories for the 870 worth checking out if you're going to designate it as your HD long gun.

FWIW, I've had an AR for decades. After many different uppers, stocks, optics, iron sights, etc. and a ton of money, I have it where I want it but I just don't shoot it very much anymore. It sits in the back of the safe just in case a horde of zombies attack. My .22 LR and .308 bolt guns see far more use, as do my 1187s.

I noticed the choke. Is that screw in? What type of shooting do you do and what is your barrel length.
    If it's an 870P, you have a great SG. Plenty of excellent aftermarket accessories for the 870 worth checking out if you're going to designate it as your HD long gun.

FWIW, I've had an AR for decades. After many different uppers, stocks, optics, iron sights, etc. and a ton of money, I have it where I want it but I just don't shoot it very much anymore. It sits in the back of the safe just in case a horde of zombies attack. My .22 LR and .308 bolt guns see far more use, as do my 1187s.

User Tag List