Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Padded bicycle shorts - help me choose a pair

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Do they make a similar one with 4 USC 8 printed on it?
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I typically don't bike ride more than 10 miles at a time and have been able to live with the discomfort of a seat but as I get older, and I want to start going on longer rides, I think I need some reinforcement.

Of course I would like to appendix carry while I ride so I am thinking of going with something that would fit under my cargo shorts, etc.
    Most brands of shorts will be fine as long as you're spending $75 or more and avoid gimmicky crap like a gel filled pad. Pearl Izumi, Bontrager, Sugoi, Craft, Bellweather and lots of others will do the trick. The worst mistake you can make is buying a pair of $30 shorts from one of the discount online outfits that use weak lycra and a terry cloth pad.

You may find that a different (not necessarily bigger or more padded) seat will help too. Seats are like holsters or shoes. No one is going to be able to tell you which is best for you but you can probably get some quality help at a bike shop and "test sit" some seats on floor bikes to see what you like or hate.

For carrying on the bike (depending on your circumstances) look at a handlebar bag or a belly band. Here's a link to a bag that will carry a Glock 19.
    Last edited by Lomshek; 09-10-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Do they make a similar one with 4 USC 8 printed on it?
    I'm sure if you ordered enough you could get someone to make you a jersey like that.

Also, never tried bibs before. keep thinking about getting a pair to try, but I'm a Fat Lad still and worry I'll look like a REALLY bad Dr. Frankenfurter.

As for shoes, I have a pair from these guys... http://www.d2shoe.com/

They are AMAZING.

Site Supporter
    Bibs are much friendlier on the waist, you should try a pair.

I'll need to wear out the shorts I just got. When I recently found a brand/model that I really liked I bought a bunch. Did the same thing with my bicycle seats; when I found one I really liked I went back and bought 2 more and broke them in on the trainer.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I have a lot of Castelli, and some Sugoi. Assos and Capo are just a little over the top price-wise. Bibs are great. Gore also makes good stuff, but is harder to find, and I'm not sure if they're even in the cycling market anymore. Over the years, I also used PI (now owned by Shimano) but they never were my favorite brand. My bike team went with Hincapie, and it was OK, but I won't buy anything from the doper.

To carry on a bike, I bought a Ruger LCP. Not crazy about the mouse gun, but it will stay concealed in a jersey pocket. I have carried a J frame, but the handle wants to poke up and out of the jersey pocket.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    I won't buy anything from the doper.
    That really limits the field considering how widespread it was in the past years.

longscycle.com 20% off coupon code... 20off

Expires midnight 9/15. In case anyone cares.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Good saddle and good fit are key.

I like Voler shorts. I think they're a good value for the money. REI outlet is a good place to find last seasons cycling clothes at decent prices, and I've scored some amazing clothes at Performance Bike stores on clearance.

Bibs are nice while you're riding, not so nice when you have to basically get naked in a porta-john in to take a dump.

User Tag List