Page 24 of 69 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Descending to AR15.com status

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    OK I can do all that later today if it's helpful. In any event, my main point is/was that even with a full bio, I wouldn't have expected Sean M's knowledge to go to effective concealment and it bothers me to see somebody called out that way because they wouldn't have either.
    Just as a general hint, we don't tend to make people SME's who have a tendency to talk out of their rear end on things. Even guys who arrive on the job site with helicopters and C130's providing overwatch have to do lots of things that aren't quite that high profile before the fireworks starts. Some members of the military...and other organizations...have a need to carry concealed and move about the world without all their ninja gear on. This is one of the reasons why the USMC's High Risk Personnel course (at one time headed by our very own Mr. Langdon) existed.

We have the SME tags on some people because we've vetted them. That's what the tag is supposed to communicate: "You may not know who Sean is, but we do and we think he's worth listening to about gun stuff." Some people have very public profiles, some people can't because they do work that prohibits that sort of thing. Some start out needing to use a screen name but later are in a position where they can function under their real name.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    We're in agreement. My point was not a semantics one, it was that both might have something to contribute, but that it might be in different spaces.
    __

The whole stay in one's lane thing while simultaneously seeking to cross-polinate is a really funny concept to me. I'm not sure if lanes merge or if you get to change lanes or who approves the lanes and lane changes and frankly I don't care. The whole idea of living in a world where someone has a singular set of expertise and shouldn't stray from it is very foreign to me, probably because I made a career out of integrative studies and so that whole conceptual idea of boundaries is very fuzzy for me personally. As I can see it's antithetical to the mission of the forum to be about students.
    On a local forum, I got lectured with the "stay in your lane" in reference to a comment that I made about team tactics in a certain class.

The comment came from an individual who had no military or LE experience and his basis for knowledge was a few weekend classes that he had taken. In another instance, a very nice gentleman who works in a field that has absolutely nothing to do with firearms and tactics tried to tell me how I should be doing something based on the single weekend class he took from a noted instructor.

While I am no SME and no master operator, I dare say I am far more experienced in the subject matter than the individuals in the above two examples. By the same token, I have no experience or training that would qualify to debate how to take down a ship with someone like Sean M.

As for concealed carry, what would narcs and undercover cops and ninja smoke .mil guys know about such things?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I see a lot of talk about limiting the LE forum. Should we give the forum managers mod powers to aggressively police the LE forum or just make it off limits to those only who have been vetted (albeit, still giving the managers mod powers)?
    #RESIST

I took the time to fill out my bio, I hope others do the same. I also took the time to think about some of the postings I have made and discussions I have either started or participated in. I will certainly try not to create or participate in anymore, "derpa derp" discussions. SeanM, I appreciate the honesty and just calling it as you see it. Hopefully we will use this to course correct, judging by many of the posts I am sure we will. This is a great place and I would certainly like to see more ramblings from SME's or other informed opinions more frequently, I hate to bear the thought of loosing good people and information from here. This is one of the few last places to go.

Descending to AR15.com status

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I found myself one night sitting a table with the Givens, Jim Higginbotham, Chuck Haggard, and John Hearne
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410785266.228379.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  10.6 KB

I don't post that lightly. That image summarizes why I spend time in this forum: I get to read regularly from today's Weaver, Cooper, etc. The parallels between OAK and Reed, for example, are striking.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    That's how I feel about my recent EAG class after hearing so much negative press about Pat Rogers at another forum. Positivity can be infectious. I highly recommend hanging out with positive people.
    Yet.....how tolerant is Pat of net stupidity. We could take a lesson from how Pat deals with many folks on the net. Pat is one of my most treasured friends. Many of us want to share stuff we have learned and stuff we have learned from guys like Pat. A times it gets very hard to positively share that with those more interested in "having something to say" than having a goal to learn.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Yet.....how tolerant is Pat of net stupidity. We could take a lesson from how Pat deals with many folks on the net. Pat is one of my most treasured friends. Many of us want to share stuff we have learned and stuff we have learned from guys like Pat. A times it gets very hard to positively share that with those more interested in "having something to say" than having a goal to learn.
    I'm a huge Pat fan, period. That being said......I don't see a lot of support for LightFighter style moderation in this thread, do you? I respect the LF style and never complain about it on LF but that's not my style and if this shakes out to PF going to that style of moderation, I'll be out.
    #RESIST

Descending to AR15.com status

I'm a huge Pat fan, period. That being said......I don't see a lot of support for LightFighter style moderation in this thread, do you? I respect the LF style and never complain about it on LF but that's not my style and if this shakes out to PF going to that style of moderation, I'll be out.
    I've been a member for some time on LF, I never go and rarely is there relevant information unless I want to buy a Strider knife. They love those there, or they did, been so long they may be loving something new.

If the forum goes that direction I'll be gone but I'm just a stupid civilian who apparently is a cop hater because bullshit happens and I refuse to ignore it.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I see a lot of talk about limiting the LE forum. Should we give the forum managers mod powers to aggressively police the LE forum or just make it off limits to those only who have been vetted (albeit, still giving the managers mod powers)?
    I would say start with aggressive management of the forum and see what happens. If the problem corrects itself, the mods are able/willing to keep up with any workflow created, and the membership is happy with the results then call it a Job Well Done and everyone go out for drinks. If not, then contemplate what the next step could/should be.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

One more thought: make the LE forum read only for non LE. No cop hate posts, non LE get to benefit from the collective knowledge. Mods get the extra duty of making damned sure there's no spillover into the Romper Room.
    #RESIST

User Tag List