Page 40 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: HK Striker Fired

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    It must be me that's the awesome common denominator.
    Make some space on the podium. My P30 and P30L never needed a break in, nor would I own a pistol that needs it.

HK has directly confirmed that the P30 sights will fit on the new gun.

HK45, P30 9mm, P30L 9mm, P2000SK 9mm. Multiples of each have needed no break in.

"Break in" for me covers basically two concepts: 1. Firing a certain number of rounds through a gun to mechanically burnish parts/components together for greater operational efficiency (Which may be unnecessary with most modern guns, assuming computer-controlled production and competent QC throughout the manufacturing process); and 2. Ensuring reliability with a spectrum (or specific) cartridge/bullet configurations and loadings.

While break-in may be of a lesser mechanical concern/necessity today, I still think that it's a prudent activity to subject a new gun to prior to utilizing it for duty/carry/self-defense.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    "Break in" for me covers basically two concepts: 1. Firing a certain number of rounds through a gun to mechanically burnish parts/components together for greater operational efficiency (Which may be unnecessary with most modern guns, assuming computer-controlled production and competent QC throughout the manufacturing process); and 2. Ensuring reliability with a spectrum (or specific) cartridge/bullet configurations and loadings.

While break-in may be of a lesser mechanical concern/necessity today, I still think that it's a prudent activity to subject a new gun to prior to utilizing it for duty/carry/self-defense.

Best, Jon
    #1 is break in. #2 is shakedown.

I'm making a new podium for limp wristers. I needed to feed 124gr and higher for the first 200 or so rounds while my buddy's P30 required none and we shot them around the same time. We both had the same problem with mine if we used 115. I never limp wristed a 40, 10 mm or 45 before that and other than a few FTEs in the beginning, none of my other P30s ever had a problem. Probably because I bought them used and someone already broke them in for me :-P

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

The RSA on my P30 was sufficiently stiff when new that Freedom 115gr and 124gr FMJ loads would cause FTLB issues during the first ~500 rounds, as they didn't have quite enough power to drive the slide back to lock. 147gr loads worked fine.

There's a huge difference between a gun that needs to cycle a bunch of times so its moving parts will smooth out enough for it to function, vs a gun that ships with a recoil spring that's initially too stiff for lower-powered ammo to drive at 100%.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Our typical commercial 9mm stuff is weaksauce by comparison because it's designed to not blow up a 100 year old Luger.
    *pushes taped glasses up onto nose* {Professor Frink voice}"Actually, this is your culprit."{/Professor Frink Voice}

A European Luger will easily digest European 9mm Luger ammo, which would turn a Glisenti into a pipe bomb. American-spec 9x19 ain't any good for 'em, but it won't disassemble 'em quite the way NATO-spec ammo would.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    That looks like a Luger.

Same thing.

*rubs hands in sinister fashion
    3/15/2016

The HK striker will be an interesting conundrum for some HK fan boys. On one hand, they love all things HK. On the other hand, they have fought years of internet wars over the superiority of the LEM trigger for appendix and real fighting, as opposed to game shooting.

I sure hope Tom Jones gets busy with a Gadget for the HK soon.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List