Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else find it strange that most British and SKorean Police DON'T carry pistols?

I was an MP in Korea during 1975 to 76. 142d MP Co, Yongsan Garrison Seoul. There were several Korean National Police (KNP) officers that stood gate duty with us on a regular basis. The empty holster was common. So was swapping the revolver from one to another as they changed shifts. We even had a box at one of the gates for the KNP's to park their revolver when no KNP's were on duty. Most often they had a backup KNP with a M1 Carbine nearby.

We also had a small stash of cash under the MP Desk to "assist" with the recovery of GI's that got a little rowdy at the Itaewon entertainment district Police Box. I never did find out why they called their local offices Boxes though. During my 13 months there I do not recall of a single KNP shooting in the areas. The local Koreans tended to be somewhat subservient to the KNP tactics and brutality when it came to controlling disorderly people. The police club was carried and used often. As a side note...the private ownership and possession of firearms was almost completely banned. There were few firearm armed criminals about. I might add that during my many soujourns downtown I never felt the need to be armed. Then again I was young, lean, mean and full of piss and vinegar. Getting old sucks.

The Republic of Korea (RoK) Army Military Police however were a very different breed. Sharp, stract and very physical. There was often problems with the North Korean infiltrators at the DMZ and area waterfronts such as Inchon. Lots of gunfights there but they were military. One did NOT mess with a RoK MP. As I was leaving the "Tree Trimming Incident" took place. Thought the Hot War was about to start. Korea was a very unique place.
    Last edited by FotoTomas; 05-14-2014 at 01:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    The simplest way I've heard it put is "It's not the odds, it's the stakes."
    (I believe Kathy Jackson came up with that but I may be wrong)
    HandgunWorldShow: "Why do I carry a gun? Because I can't carry a cop."

Quote Originally Posted by FotoTomas View Post
    As I was leaving the "Tree Trimming Incident" took place. Thought the Hot War was about to start. Korea was a very unique place.
    I got there about six months after that. Things were still pretty tense.

And the next year, the Chinook got shot down. My company (B 1/38, Camp Hovey), was on Hot Apple alert. We were saddled up with the rotors turning when the call came to stand down. Good thing, too; the crash site was several miles inside North Korea (turtle pilot got lost), they had a battalion or more of troops surrounding the bird by the time Washington got off its a$$ and decided to try and extract the crew. We would have been slaughtered.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I got there about six months after that. Things were still pretty tense.

And the next year, the Chinook got shot down. My company (B 1/38, Camp Hovey), was on Hot Apple alert. We were saddled up with the rotors turning when the call came to stand down. Good thing, too; the crash site was several miles inside North Korea (turtle pilot got lost), they had a battalion or more of troops surrounding the bird by the time Washington got off its a$$ and decided to try and extract the crew. We would have been slaughtered..
    I spent a very memorable night (1985?) on Courtesy Patrol when 1/23 came back from the QRF and was directed by their BC to "take back our ville from those kittenheads in 1/38."
    FWIW, a Motorola brick radio makes a decent CQC weapon.

At that time any 11B or 95B who was over 6' tall still stood a very good chance of being sent to PanMunJom.

Things were much calmer on my next two tours, after we MIGs had moved to Essayons.
    My last tour was at Stanley, and the gun bunnies did make things a little sporty, but not as much as Togori.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    What are the "statistics" dealing with the likelihood of someone being violently assaulted:
    a) In their place of residence?
    b) Outside their place of residence?
    Oh, I meant to post this earlier:

http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=44

First Responders

"Got a violent suspect with a gun? Phone HQ ( or the police,{added by me}) for armed backup and hide" .[/QUOTE] I think the scariest thing for a citizens is that LEO's in general, expect exactly that from citizens. I've told those in my family, that the Police and Firefighters are NOT the first responders in a life threatening situation, YOU are. Police and firefighters CANNOT be everywhere at once, so you better have a plan, as much as you are able. Train to your Probabilities!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkDP View Post
    "Got a violent suspect with a gun? Phone HQ (the police,added by me) for armed backup and hide" .
    I think the scariest thing for a citizens is that LEO's in general, expect exactly that from citizens. I've told those in my family, that the Police and Firefighters are NOT the first responders in a life threatening situation, YOU are. Police and firefighters CANNOT be everywhere at once, so you better have a plan, as much as you are able. Train to your Probabilities!
    I posted up the exact same sentiment on my Facebook page and got a good bit of ire from cops and firefighters. It seems that many like the idea of being referred to as "First Responder." I suspect many of those view themselves as heroes for simply putting on their uniforms and showing up at work, regardless of their actions that day.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

This was formative to my thinking on the matter.
    http://www.frfrogspad.com/crisis.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I spent a very memorable night (1985?) on Courtesy Patrol when 1/23 came back from the QRF and was directed by their BC to "take back our ville from those kittenheads in 1/38."
    Hah… 1/23… never mind.

Speaking of Star Base Hovey; in 2001 or so, I had to interview a rookie who had been accused of some heinous stuff by an irate citizen. It was BS, of course, but we had to go through the motions. Mainly, we chatted, and he admitted to being stationed at Hovey in 1998-99. He brought some photos back a few days later. Keep in mind, these were taken 20+ years after we were there… and NOTHING HAD CHANGED. He had one shot, taken from the ridge adjacent to the parade ground… and I could make out the kittening Quonset hut I lived in for a year. Different units, of course, but he said there were still three battalions of grunts living in Quonset huts, with those same useless oil-fired "heaters".

Sounds like you did multiple tours. Got hooked on the yobos, eh???

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Sounds like you did multiple tours. Got hooked on the yobos, eh???.
    I was a Korean linguist. (MOSC 98G4LC8KP. Now 35S, I think.)
    Very possibly the only one who did 20 years and didn't marry a Korean, FWIW.
    Also, only ever had the one Soju Experience, but it was an epic one...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List