Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Orange County sheriff sides with self-defense"

Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    Today was my first day carrying on an Illinois CCL.

All of these new license holders are increasing their own personal investment in gun rights. Hopefully they vote accordingly and some progress is made in CA.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    We may yet see the day soon when the folks in Beverly Hills talk about owning "designer" carry guns. An HK or Beretta showroom would be a splendid addition to the Rodeo Drive district.
    The thought boggles the mind. A Rodeo Drive, Beretta Boutique. Wonder what sort of gold plate, diamond encrusted weaponry one might find there. Not to mention show up on the red carpet. Who's is bigger, Tom Cruise or Mark Wahlbergs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    Going from no carry to a S&W 640 stuffed with DPX & a pair of speed strips is one hell of an improvement.
    I'm going to have to go with this, for now. Gotta get the patient up and out of the hospital bed first before running marathons is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

All of these new license holders are increasing their own personal investment in gun rights. Hopefully they vote accordingly and some progress is made in CA.
    Hopefully.....(see I am trying). The problem is that California "used" to be a VERY gun friendly place. I would say, even on the cutting edge of firearms use, training and a gun culture. The state has gone full retard since the mid 80's with "common sense" gun laws, voting for "common sense" gun law politicians from "both" parties, and has allowed "divide and conquer" to work its magic and is now in a position where the "patient" who shot himself in the head is sitting in the hospital with regrets. Yeah, the patient may get up and out of the hospital, but a ton of the damage is permanent and can't be undone.

California is an example of what can happen in 30 years and should be used as that. It is not like NY, Chicago or Washington DC that have always been screwed up. Cali is an example for Colorado, Texas, Florida and others as "this can happen to you".
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Once you translate "that's a hell of an improvement" into "grateful to the benevolent overlords for being allowed the minimal . . . " I kinda think you might be putting some work into your Eeyore face. I don't think my satisfaction at winning a 15-year political battle (for me--I have people in my local organization who were getting arrested at the Capitol 25 years ago) is unwarranted. There is a long way to go and more fighting to be done, and there will be wins and losses. But not today. Today is a huge win. You don't have to celebrate with us if you don't want to, but nothing you say is going to wipe the smile off my face.

The first time Illinois Carry's founder approached one of the main sponsors of this year's Firearm Concealed Carry Act, that downstate legislator from a rural district flatly told them that "People will never pass a law to let people carry loaded guns in this state." He wasn't even personally opposed, he just figured it was impossible.

But we have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty. Possibly we were just too pretty to lose.

"Your hands than mine are quicker for a fray.
    My legs are longer though, to run away."
    --Helena of Athens

As soon as I saw the thread title, I opened it up.....couldn't imagine what it was about since Sheriff Jerry Demings (Orange County, FL) would never side with self defense. Thank God for state pre-emption and shall issue.

Glad to hear there's at least one more somewhat reasonable Sheriff out there on the left coast.

Once you translate "that's a hell of an improvement" into "grateful to the benevolent overlords for being allowed the minimal . . . " I kinda think you might be putting some work into your Eeyore face. I don't think my satisfaction at winning a 15-year political battle (for me--I have people in my local organization who were getting arrested at the Capitol 25 years ago) is unwarranted. There is a long way to go and more fighting to be done, and there will be wins and losses. But not today. Today is a huge win. You don't have to celebrate with us if you don't want to, but nothing you say is going to wipe the smile off my face.

The first time Illinois Carry's founder approached one of the main sponsors of this year's Firearm Concealed Carry Act, that downstate legislator from a rural district flatly told them that "People will never pass a law to let people carry loaded guns in this state." He wasn't even personally opposed, he just figured it was impossible.

But we have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty. Possibly we were just too pretty to lose.
    Awesome post, Don.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Awesome post, Don.
    Inorite? I got all verMurka.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    We may yet see the day soon when the folks in Beverly Hills talk about owning "designer" carry guns. An HK or Beretta showroom would be a splendid addition to the Rodeo Drive district.
    Maybe Tiffany & Co will start doing engraving again.

ETA: I almost added something about "His and hers little blue boxes", except that, in this household, it'd be "His and Hers and Hers", because she'd be getting prettified guns as well as jewelry...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

For the folks in Illinois, you have really done some great stuff, and I am very much in the Winnie the Pooh smiles for you. The reality that you guys have really been screwed since before most of you were alive is the big difference than the California thing. Simply a different set of circumstances. California was a "if you keep down this road, you will end up like Chicago, NY and D.C.".....and they did. Californians keep electing people who told them that they will make it like all the places they have become. My goal is to do whatever I can to keep where I live now going the other direction.

Many in Chicago have never known standard capacity magazines, private party sales among grown adults, modern semi-automatic rifles lining dealers shelves and purchased on a simple 4473, actually being able to get a CCW, etc....urban California has and it was literally given away with many voting for their pocket books, lifestyle and other "stuff" instead of NRA ratings.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List