Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Wilson blogs about short 1911s

Bill Wilson blogs about short 1911s

Link

The basic functional difference between a full size (as John Browning designed it) 1911 pistol and a compact version with a 4.25” or shorter barrel is slide mass and speed. Basically anytime you reduce mass and propel it with the same energy you will get faster cycle speed. Why does this matter? The pistol needs a certain amount of time to eject a fired case, allow the magazine to lift, position the next round for proper feeding and chamber the round. When slide mass is reduced and therefore slide cycle speed increased there may not be time for this to all happen properly.
    Interesting that he carries lighter bullets than the typical 230 grain fodder. I have always found that my 1911s run well with 200 grain bullets.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

My 4" Wilson Pro runs well with fresh springs. But it's not nearly as forgiving as my 5" guns. I recently upgraded to Wilson's flat wire recoil spring. I haven't run it long enough to determine its' usable life. Naturally, very energetic mag springs are essential. I'm running 230 GDHP's, standard pressure.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Back a few years ago I was told that the sub 4" Wilson guns should really have their recoil spring changed as often as 300-500 rounds. Valid?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Back a few years ago I was told that the sub 4" Wilson guns should really have their recoil spring changed as often as 300-500 rounds. Valid?
    My Pro has a 4" bull barrel and that was my schedule when I ran standard round wire springs. I like to err on the side of caution.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I've heard the same thing about 3.5" guns.

I have a Defender that feeds dependably until the last round in the magazine, which it won't chamber and tries to toss out of the ejection port, bullet up - if that makes any sense. This problem cropped up after about 3-400 rounds.

Looking forward to hearing from informed people on this issue.

Obviously Mr. Wilson knows much about what he has accurately written. The lightweight all copper Barnes bullets are a good choice for shorter barrel pistols. Changing the recoil springs more frequently and using fresh, standard capacity magazine springs is also prudent.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I think of late Mr. Wilson has incorporated some changes to his pistols (like a flat firing pin stop) that slows the slide velocity down on the shorter guns. Those changes plus the flat-wire mainsprings may require less frequent changes. Maybe Bill or WilsonCombatRep will chime in and let us know...

On a < 5" gun I'd probably stick with the 7 round magazines for optimum reliability, as the springs in those seem to be more resistant to taking a set. The newer "elite" mags are supposed to be better in that respect even in the 8 round capacity.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 02-21-2014 at 03:11 PM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I think of late Mr. Wilson has incorporated some changes to his pistols (like a flat firing pin stop) that slows the slide velocity down on the shorter guns. Those changes plus the flat-wire mainsprings may require less frequent changes. Maybe Bill or WilsonCombatRep will chime in and let us know...

On a < 5" gun I'd probably stick with the 7 round magazines for optimum reliability, as the springs in those seem to be more resistant to taking a set. The newer "elite" mags are supposed to be better in that respect even in the 8 round capacity.
    The Tripp 7 round conversion kit in the Wilson 47D or Chip McCormick mag body is a wonderful combo. The coming thing is the Wilson ETM HD/+P flat wire.

The big advantage to a flat wire spring is longevity and greater closing force.

I disagree with Bill Wilson in that I believe the most critical changes aren't ammunition based, rather hammer spring and FPS. With modern S5 or S7 hammers, there is no reason not to up the hammer spring weight coupled with an appropriate firing pin spring. This is something I just don't get with modern exposed hammer guns. Cocking the hammer is the best way to eat up slide velocity on critical guns such as: P35s, Commanders, Officers, 10mm 1911s, and the sort. Shortening the lever 20% does an amazing amount of good in these guns. Not to mention, reducing the recoil spring helps maintain lower lug fit and slide stop fit.

Regardless of what gun you choose to carry, I would suggest mag springs be watched carefully. Especially on 1911s as most springs are as drawn, meaning no heat treat, 1095 steel. I love the new WC flat wire because it's 17-4PH passivated and straw tempered. Which means much greater life.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    I have a Defender that feeds dependably until the last round in the magazine, which it won't chamber and tries to toss out of the ejection port, bullet up - if that makes any sense. This problem cropped up after about 3-400 rounds..
    What magazines (make aand capacity)?
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List