Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the bottom line on 1911 reliability?

What is the bottom line on 1911 reliability?

I have been on again off again about buying a 1911 for a while now. I want one for all the reasons you can probably predict. I don't want one because I don't want to drop $1000 on a project when it turns out to be unreliable. I have minimal experience with them, so a lot of this is based on Internet research, which as we all know can be worthless. So I turn to you guys who seem to have their shit together more than most of the forums around.

On one hand, I have heard countless people say that production 1911s are reliable out of the box, and the reliability issues come from people messing around with their guns. On the other, I have fired three 1911s as of an hour ago, and all three were unreliable.

I fired a Colt Officer's model which jammed about 15% of the time. I fired a Taurus PT1911 which was similar. And as of today's range trip, I've fired a brand new Sig Scorpion 1911. It was 100% reliable for me over 40 rounds (which were all touching at 7 yards), but jammed for its owner, with two magazines, about 5-8% of the time he fired it. Ejection was very strong, but the next round would get caught up on the feed ramp.

So I don't know if that Sig was the gun, ammo, mags, or shooter. What I do know is that across my relatively small sample, 1911s have a 100% failure rate. I compare that with my history of 0 malfunctions over thousands of rounds across about 10 handguns, primarily HKs, Walthers, Glocks and Berettas. I've never experienced a non-induced handgun malfunction (ok, with the exception of .22s). So have I just been really lucky?

What is the deal? If I go buy a 1911 today, what are the chances I will get a gun that works consistently? I am considering the Springfield Loaded as my first choice. Even though I have other guns to cover all my serious needs, I don't want to drop $800 on a gun that doesn't work reliably, I've got too many guns that work to deal with that.

There are more knowledgeable 1911 guys on this board that I'm sure will weigh in, but to start I'd say the three models you experimented with are not a good baseline to assess 1911 reliability. First of all, conventional wisdom is to stick with 5" models. From a brand perspective, Colt makes the best 1911s out of the three you sampled. Caleb's recent review of the CCG demonstrates that Colt has solid out-of-the-box offerings. But short 1911s have always had spotty reliability, and the 3" Officer's Model is no exception.

Neither the Taurus PT1911 or SIG 1911 would make my list of high quality 1911s. SIG is probably a notch ahead of the Taurus, but the external extractor is questionable.

I own a NM prefix Springfield Loaded PX9109L that I bought for a song and I'm pleased very with the performance. Out of the box it passes the 10-8 Extractor Test, but I found it was picky with magazines (wouldn't lock back on Wilson 47s) until I switched out the slide stop. It has proven a solid base gun for customization and at this point I've upgraded most of the parts. Still, it is a range gun for me. Were I in the market for a production 1911 for carry, I'd probably grab a Colt or a Springfield MC Operator or TRP.

I found the 10-8 article on Choosing a 1911 for duty use to be a useful starting point.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

There are more knowledgeable 1911 guys on this board that I'm sure will weigh in, but to start I'd say the three models you experimented with are not a good baseline to assess 1911 reliability. First of all, conventional wisdom is to stick with 5" models.
    I'd suggest they are a fine baseline to start out. A range of manufacturers with varying reputations. You do have a point regarding size, although at this stage of the game a Commander-length gun should be pretty good to go. My take is quite simple...1911s these days are a very hit-or-miss proposition. You get some great guns from less than stellar manufacturers, you get some terrible guns from top-shelf manufacturers, and it is hard to figure out what you are going to get in advance. I've had great 1911s from Springfield and Colt, I've had terrible 1911s from Springfield and Colt. I've got a friend with an Auto Ordnance 1911 that seems to be unstoppable, another friend can't get his to run through a full box of ammo without a glitch. Some folks will tell you about how reliable and accurate their Kimber is, others will tell you how unreliable and/or inaccurate theirs is. Very much a buyer beware sort of thing.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

That's the real issue with the 1911, people say it like they say Glock or SIG. The thing is that there are so many variables, even within the same manufacturer that you can end up comparing apples and tomatoes. I really think that if you're planning on one for carry, that you should at least have a contingency plan of having it worked over some. You might have great success out of the box, but planning on spending a little money with a good 'smith is probably a good idea.

Thanks for the replies. The Colt was a 3", and I was aware that shrinking the 1911 design increases problems. I didn't choose the guns I've had access to, that's just been the breaks. I did think Sigs were some of the better offerings out there today though for production 1911s. The Scorpion is a 5" model.

I will read that 10-8 article.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    That's the real issue with the 1911, people say it like they say Glock or SIG. The thing is that there are so many variables, even within the same manufacturer that you can end up comparing apples and tomatoes. I really think that if you're planning on one for carry, that you should at least have a contingency plan of having it worked over some. You might have great success out of the box, but planning on spending a little money with a good 'smith is probably a good idea.
    Yeah I should have specified, I don't intend to carry it. If I get it, and love it, and its reliable, that is not off the table, but I have already-proven primary and backup carries that I have no desire to replace. This would be more of a range gun or possible HD pistol backing up the 870.

Luck of the draw.

I purchased 20 1911s over the last 10 years. I have kept four of them, but only trust one to watch over my daughter.

Site Supporter
    I had one Colt Combat Commander (4.25" gun) that was a custom build and it would misfeed cheap ammo about once every 50 rounds or so. Other than that all the 1911 pattern pistols I've owned have been reliable. I currently have three Colts -- all 5" guns -- and they all run fine. Before that I had a S&W and three Springfield Armory guns and they were very good too. Way back when I had a Kimber that ran great. That doesn't mean it's a given though.

When built but a good Smith 1911's are as reliable as any modern auto. The down side is labor to build them is expensive and they take a lot more maintenance to keep them reliable as parts wear out, break or go out of spec from use.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    That's the real issue with the 1911, people say it like they say Glock or SIG.
    Truth.

The model 1911 has been copied, changed, updated, downgraded, and in some cases improved over the years. A correctly built 1911 can be reliable. Like already stated, if you buy a full size version, your chances of it being reliable are much greater.

If I were to buy a 1911 today, it would probably be a Les Baer Thunder Ranch, Springfield TRP, or a Dan Wesson Valor. The Baer is blued steel while the others are available with different coatings or in stainless that will hold up better if you are going to carry them. The checkering on the TRP can be sharp to some hands.

For something at a little better price point that will give you some room for tweaking or sending off for a reliability package, check out the Springfield Loaded, Desert Eagle G, or a Colt XSE model.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List