Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: STP Engine Degreaser for cleaning

STP Engine Degreaser for cleaning

Can i use STP Engine Degreaser to clean FAs?
    Will it not damage the bore barrel?

I would think that it would probably be fine. It might be prudent to test it by using a small amount on a out of the way piece. A lot of people use break cleaner. Standard gun solvent works fine. I personally just mix hot water and Simple Green and let everything soak and then rinse with hot water followed by a shot of compressed air and sprayed on rust protectorate.

Site Supporter
    I would not recommend Simple Green, specifically because of its pH and the potential issues it can cause with aluminum.

Is there a certain reason why you want to use it as your gun cleaner?

There are plenty of good gun cleaning products that are out there that work great and are inexpensive. Personally I think the non-toxic/non-odor products clean great without all the added downsides of some of the other solvent cleaners.

I use non chlorinated brake cleaner.
    #RESIST

Can you shed some light on what you mean by FA? IME, that stands for full auto or forward assist.

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner works for me. Be aware that it will strip all the oil and grease off.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Can you shed some light on what you mean by FA? IME, that stands for full auto or forward assist.

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner works for me. Be aware that it will strip all the oil and grease off.
    I am guessing it stands for Firearms.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I use non chlorinated brake cleaner.
    I have been using this for years with no problems. Degreaser will be fine but it takes a lot longer for the chemicals to evaporate and will not do as good. I am in the auto repair business so I use a lot of both products on a lot of different things.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I would not recommend Simple Green, specifically because of its pH and the potential issues it can cause with aluminum.
    I have heard that in the past, but I have never experienced an issue with it myself. I guess the finishes that I have on my alloy guns are better than just the anodizing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    I guess the finishes that I have on my alloy guns are better than just the anodizing.
    Just be careful, alloy frame rails often show exposed aluminum .... so do mag wells.

User Tag List